The Journal of Derius Rykker - Hardcore Skyrim Playthrough

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Assassin99

Ok, cool

Baelor

Entry #5

Coming out of the Bannered Mare the next morning, I overheard two Battle-Born family members arguing with an older woman who turned out to be a Gray Mane. I came in half way through the conversation, so after the Battle-Born's walked away, I approached the woman to see what the argument was all about. She said her son was missing, and that she thought the Battle-Born's had something to do with it. She said it wasn't safe to talk there in the marketplace and asked me to meet her at her home.

I waited until nightfall before I went to her house as it seemed like discretion was very important in this matter. I knocked on the door and walked in. I was quickly approached by an axe wielding man who turned out to be Fralia's son. After she demanded that there not be violence, he put away his axe and we talked. This was a good thing. I really didn't want to get into a fight with someone carrying a large axe indoors where there is little room to maneuver. After a short discussion, he was able to talk me into helping him find his brother. Perhaps there would be something in it for me. Plus, I have no problem killing a few Thalmor. First, though, he told me I needed to find some evidence that would point to the Battle-Born's involvement and his brother's whereabouts. I told him I would see what I could do.

This is where my night got very interesting. As I walked out of the house and closed the door, I heard a woman's screams. I wasn't sure where it was coming from, but I headed down the steps towards the main gate. The only thing I remember was seeing two "people" rushing at me, casting spells and yelling. I remember seeing their fangs and realizing these weren't people at all, they were vampires! Between the powerful spell that was hitting me from what appeared to be the leader, and some sort of weapon gashing my stomach open, the night faded to pitch black. I woke up in the Bannered Mare the next day. Hulda had tended my wounds, and it didn't seem I was infected by their disease. Apparently the guards were able to dispatch the vampires before they killed me, and someone had taken me to the inn and had the healers from the temple work on my wound.

All I know is that I will be here for at least a week now, and that my decision has now been made for me. I wasn't sure what to make of this Dawnguard group the Orc approached me about, but now I know I am going to go join them. I can't even describe the fury coursing through my blood right now. I will kill as many of these vampires as I can, and I am going to enjoy doing it. I just hope I can make their death's full of pain and agony.

Assassin99

Great!!!

Baelor

Entry #6

It's been a week and I am finally on my feet again. My pockets are a little lighter now after paying for a weeks worth of room and board, along with food. I still had enough to make it to Riften though, so after stocking up on some potions and arrows, I went down and hired the carriage driver to take me to Riften. Although I didn't have a lot of gold left, I figured since I was just now recovering from near death, it would be safer to take the carriage to Riften instead of face whatever obstacles I ran across on the road there.

It was late afternoon when we arrived at the gates. After persuading the guard to let me in, I entered the city. As I always do, I accustomed myself with the city and where its shops and services were located. I had noticed some farms and towers coming into the city, and thought I'd head out before sunset to get a feel of the land surrounding Riften. I approached a farm just outside slightly to the west. A farmer named Dravin approached me and told me his prized bow was recently stolen by thieves. He said they took it into the Ratway, which apparently was a sewer that ran underneath Riften. I told him I'd find his bow for him. It is ironic, considering I am looking to join a guild full of thieves, and wouldn't hesitate to steal from him if the opportunity presented itself, but if I can make some coin by locating his bow, then it is worth it.

So back into the city I went as it was getting dark. I am staying at the inn tonight and plan to ask around about the Ratway tomorrow so I can look for his bow. I need to find out how to get in, and hopefully can get an idea of what I expect to run into down there. Once I get established here in Riften and fill my pockets with some more coin, I will seek out the Dawnguard.

Assassin99

Awesome

Baelor

Entry #7

As it turns out, I had a bit of luck on my side. I didn't have to ask around about the Ratway at all. As I was eating my dinner and drinking some ale at the Bee and Barb, I was approached by a man named Brynjolf who accused me of not earning any of my coin (what little I had) honestly. After some back and forth, he told me the reason he approached me was because he needed a man to help him pull off a job in the market. Apparently all I had to do was steal a ring from a strongbox of one of the marketplace vendors and plant it on someone named Brand-Shei. As soon as he said there was some coin in it for me, I told him he had his man.

The next morning, I woke up and had breakfast before heading out to the marketplace. I found Brynjolf and told him I was ready. He told me where I would find the strongbox and ring, and he began his diversion. Once the crowd gathered, I sneaked around to the strongbox and picked the lock. This was child's play really. I had done this hundreds of times before, and the fact that everyone was sucked in by Brynjolf's diversion made it even easier.

After I "acquired" the ring, I spotted my target sitting on a pile of crates. I went around behind him and nonchalantly dropped the ring into his pocket. He never suspected a thing. Shortly after that, the crowd dispersed and this Brand-Shei character was hauled off to jail by the Riften guards. It was hard to keep myself from laughing to be honest. I don't know why. I remember the confused look he gave me when he noticed the smirk on my face as he was being led away by the guards.

After that, Brynjolf came up to me and congratulated me on a job well done and invited me to meet him in the Ragged Flagon, a hideout underneath Riften. This is where my luck came in. He told me to go through the Ratway to get to it, and he showed me where to start. He said if I could make it down to the Flagon, I could become a full member of the Thieve's Guild. So now I could kill two birds with one stone: I could join up with the Thieve's Guild as I had planned, and also search for Dravin's bow down in the Ratway.

I plan to do some hunting around Riften today so that I can save some coin and not have to buy food. This evening I will head down to the Ratway and see what kind of trouble I can get into.

Assassin99

Great post

Baelor

Entry #8

With my quiver stocked full of arrows and my daggers freshly sharpened, I went down into the Ratway. The fact that Brynjolf said "if" I could make it down to the Ragged Flagon made me take extra precaution as I proceeded through. I wasn't sure what I would run into.

Not long after entering, I heard two men talking. I am not sure exactly what they were talking about, but one appeared irritated that he was having to be stuck down here. I can see why. This place is pretty filthy, even to me, and I've had to live in some awful places. After a brief conversation, the one man said he was going to check the entrance. With this narrow passage, it would be hard for me to hide, and I didn't want to get pinned in between these two, so I drew my bow, notched and arrow, and let loose towards the body of the man I could see in the opening ahead of me. My arrow struck him in the ribs, and he unsheathed his sword and began heading in my direction. I was able to land two more shots with my bow before I had to draw my daggers. His companion drew a bow of his own, but my strategy worked out for the best. Since the bandit I was fighting was between me and the archer, he couldn't get a clean shot. As the man tried to cut me down with his sword, I backed up and dodged his attacks the best I could, and then would quickly dart in for a quick jab with my daggers. Finally, I saw an opening for a power combo. I brought my daggers down at an angle and slashed the bandit from throat to chest, then brought them both across his stomach. He fell to the ground in a heap as his life left him.

I now focused on the archer who sent an arrow buzzing past my head. I rushed him, zig zagging as best I could in the narrow passage. He wasn't quite as strong as his partner was, and I made fairly short work of him as I unleashed a barrage of quick combinations with my daggers. After he fell, I proceeded further into the Ratway. I eventually made my way to a room where the only clear way to proceed was through a closed door. I opened the door and peered around the corner. It was a dark room, but something didn't feel right. I proceeded VERY slowly towards the room, until I heard someone moving around inside. I backed up as I saw him approach the dark hallway I was in. He came through and spotted me, and a big smile appeared on my face as I noticed he was unarmed and planned to fight me using his bare hands. That smile was quickly wiped off my face as he landed a left hook to my jaw that almost knocked me out cold. This man could punch! I was much more careful from here on out, dodging and weaving, sidestepping and backing up as he threw his combinations. When he presented an opening, I hit him with quick slashes from my daggers. I avoided doing any combinations of my own as I did not want to take any more punches from this man. Eventually he became fatigued from throwing punches and lightheaded from the blood loss, and I buried my dagger under his chin. Upon looting his body, I noticed the gloves he wore had some sort of enchantment. Perhaps that was why he was hitting so hard.

Avoiding the traps in the next room, I continued through, and eventually came to a room where I found a man leaning over a table. I crept slowly behind him, and then brought my dagger across his throat, killing him without a fight. I proceeded through the doorway to a large room with huge pool of water in the middle. I could see people ahead and decided this had to be the Ragged Flagon.

Apparently this group was skeptical that I'd ever make it down to them, as I heard them giving Brynjolf a hard time as I approached. He got the last laugh though as I walked up, covered with the blood of the men I slew on the way down. After a brief conversation, Brynjolf gave me the opportunity for some more work. I had to go to Goldenglow Estate near Riften and infiltrate to find some information for the guild. I also had to burn some of their beehives to send a message. I really didn't care what the reasoning behind this mission was, I just needed coin. I told him I would take care of it.

I also asked Brynjolf about Dravin's bow. I figured if the Thieve's Guild had stolen it, they would let a new member return it for some coin. It would basically be making Dravin buy his own bow back. Brynjolf, however, said that this particular bow was not stolen by the Guild, and that I should check the Ratway Vaults. He said some pretty bad people hid down there and that they were the most likely culprits to have stolen the bow. After giving me a word of warning to be very careful in the vaults, he showed me the door to go through.

I sat down at a table and spoke with some of the members of the guild to get acquainted with them. Once I rest here for a bit, I will go into the Ratway Vaults and search for Dravin's bow.

Assassin99

Great Post!!!

Baelor

Entry #9

After having a bite to eat and acquainting myself with some of the members of the Thieves Guild, I proceeded into the Ratway Vaults, where I was told I would have a good chance of locating Dravin's Bow - and the not-so-friendly folks who stole it. Heeding Brynjolf's advice, I planned to be very careful in here.

I proceeded slowly once inside and came to a ledge that overlooked a room below. It appeared to be jail cells or something in the room below me. I didn't have much time to examine the room as I spotted a bandit standing below. Remembering that Brynjolf said these people were dangerous, I decided not to try anything fancy and just kill everyone I came across. I notched an arrow on my bow and took aim. The bandit still didn't know I was peering down from above, ready to unleash a volley of arrows at him. My first shot struck him near the collar bone, and I could tell the impact probably broke it. However, adrenaline must've taken over as he quickly drew a bow of his own and started sending arrows my way. I had to hand it to this man. He was very skilled with the bow as he was able graze my shoulder and leave a deep gash despite me having the advantage of height and taking him by surprise. We exchanged several arrows, but finally one of mine struck his heart, and he fell to the ground dead.

After tending to my wound, I proceeded around and through a door. There was a fire burning and a dead person in the corner of the room. I was able to scout the room without being seen, and found nothing inside but the dead man and a few skeevers. I made short work of the skeevers and collected their tails in my satchel. They serve as an ingredient for damage health potions, so at least these skeevers are good for something.

I went back to where I started, where I had the fight with the first bandit. I saw a room below and jumped to the ledge beneath me. I proceeded into a room with a blacksmith's work table and then looked to the entryway on my left. I spotted a bandit overlooking a room who had her back to me. She showed no signs that she was aware of my presence, so I crept up slowly behind her after unsheathing my daggers. Once in position, I clamped my hand over her mouth and brought my dagger across her throat. She was dead within a matter of seconds. This alerted another bandit below who was running up to greet me. This man was wearing nothing but ragged clothes and had no weapon. Remembering my run in with the first bandit I came across that was unarmed as I was making my way to the Ragged Flagon, I wasn't going to take this guy lightly. Using the same strategy as before, I avoided his punches as best I could and only went for quick strikes when he left an opening. No use opening myself up to being knocked out by trying to land powerful strikes on this man. Eventually my strategy won out, and he fell to the ground and succumbed to his wounds.

I went down to the room below. It had several locked chests which I picked and took what I could carry. I also found several coin purses sitting on the table. These thieves had been busy it seems. Below the steps I came down there was another chest, and inside I found Dravin's bow. I wasn't going to finish scouting this area for more bandits. I had what I came for, so I left.

Brynjolf noticed the extra bow I had as I went back into the Ragged Flagon. He told me he was glad I made it out alive and that he thought I would do well for the guild. We shook hands and I headed back out to the Bee and Barb in Riften. It was getting late. I was going to enjoy a pint of ale and then rent a room for the night. Tomorrow I will return Dravin's bow to him and decide what my next move will be.

Baelor

Entry #10

Dravin was happy to have his bow back when I returned it to him the next morning. The irony of this task had worn off knowing that it wasn't the Thieves Guild, which I just joined, that had stolen this bow from him. The journey to find his bow hardly seemed worth it considering what I faced and how easily I could have lost my life trying to retrieve it. I believe I will give more thorough consideration to any tasks I take in the future.

Anyways, I did survive and came out a little bit richer as a result. So now I have to decide what my next move will be. I am anxious yet apprehensive to join the Dawnguard. With as close as I came to losing my life back in Whiterun when the vampires attacked the city, it makes me wonder if I am ready for such an undertaking.

After contemplating this the entire morning, I decided that given the trouble that some of the rabble had given me that I had just disposed of in the Ratway Vaults, I decided I wasn't quite ready to seek out the Dawnguard. I decided I would take up Brynjolf's job at Goldenglow Estate. I went back to the Ragged Flagon to get the final details from Brynjolf. I was to burn three beehives to interrupt honey production and also infiltrate the estate and clear out the owner's safe. If I encountered the owner and he gave me any trouble, I had permission to get rid of him. Excellent.

While I was in the Flagon, I was also approached by Delvin who had a simple job for me in Windhelm. All I had to do was sneak in and forge some numbers in the ledger at the Windhelm stables. It sounded like easy money, and I told him I would take care of it. It would have to wait until after the Goldenglow job, though. I figured the trip to Windhelm would also give me a chance to seek out this Aventis Aretino I had heard about in Riverwood and see what that was all about.

Back out to the market I went to purchase some arrows, sharpen my daggers, and create some potions for the job. I will use my best friend, the cover of darkness, to assist me in infiltrating the estate tonight. I was also told the location of a sewer entrance that will make getting inside easier. Tonight I head to Goldenglow Estate.