• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Varden

Hey, Morning all.

Just a quick one, I'm in work at the mo and was just thinking about skyrim, i wondered if you gave your follower some empty petty soul gems and say a bow with soul trap on it would they filled by the follower?

It would just be an easy way to get soul gems while i'm blasting with my spells and not having to worry about either casting soul trap myself or switching to my dagger to finish people off.
I would also help when my spells don't quite 1 shot someone and lydia then fires off an arrow and gets the killing blow.

any thoughts?

Varden

i think i will test tonight and see what we get! unless anyone else has given it a go already?

LordTalos

My mage never runs out of those fireballs, it's strange because the staff is out of charge? I was thinking about the followers and if they use food etc.

If you can find a Staff with a Soul Trap Spell on it, im guessing your follower will cast it, seeing as how Lydia cant last 5 minutes without summoning a familiar thanks to her Staff of the Familiar.

Brad

Seems like a lot of you use your companions a lot... I got Lydia just like all of you did, but she just irritated me so much because she would not stay when I told her to, and I found that I more often told her to stay than not because she kept dying and I had to reload to keep her alive. So I finally did NOT reload, and let her stay dead. Anyone else think that they can be more trouble than they are worth?

shelder

I agree that companions r A LOT of trouble and REALLY REALLY annoying, but i mainly have Lydia just as an item mule, sometimes i get too lazy to go to my house or a shop to sell my junk so i just shove it into her :D battle wise, i usually sprint (when using sword/shield) so when she catches up the fighting is already over so she lives or ill go sneak (when using bow) so she doesnt fight or die. for me companions = more carrying space :D

Reiji

Dark Mage of Clan Thu'um
Yea Lydia seems to be suicidal at times but she can be a huge help in battles. I was recently fighting Morokei (Dragon Priest) who takes me out in 2 zaps. I couldn't beat him no matter what so I went and got Lydia and came back. Lydia is my aggro whore! She started attaking with a bow at first (I gave her 500 Iron Arrows lol). While she got his attention I flanked around him and we managed to get him trapped on the bridge. We both went in with sword in hand and got him stuck between the both of us on the bridge. He was utterly helpless.

Companions can be annoying but when they DO aid you in battle it's worth putting up with them.

Tiddleykong

Craft-Master cat man Lae Rashea
So........ About the soul gem thing. Anybody try it yet?

Reiji

Dark Mage of Clan Thu'um
I'll give it a try right now. Also is it just me or do companions get infinite enchantment charge? Lydia has been using a absorb health sword for awhile now and she still has enchantment full charge in it.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I think I read somewhere else on here that they don't use up arrows either.

Tiddleykong

Craft-Master cat man Lae Rashea
Which is great considering they will shoot daedric arrows they pick up or are given

psyk0

No soul gem large enough.
I'd be really interested to know if giving your follower Soul Trap allows them to farm souls for you. May as well be doing something useful while they're standing in your way and jibbering about stuff.

diazm7

bow control, use one hand
very interesting...... didn't think these idears were possible.... i need to experiment more! like if i give lydia some poisons will she use them up, or just like chants and arrows, unlimited.

Smacka

Sleepless in Pennsylvania
Anyone try to "sneak" while using a companion? Just saying...;)

vincent

SC2: DudeMan 346
Ya I sneak through the whole dungeon but I use a bow only while sneaking. I've lost like 5 companions though.

Quick question: How many times can a companion get knocked down before they die for good? Seems as if my own fire breath or arrow kills them.

Ebony Knight

Lore Sword
Rayven is correct about the arrows. You can give them one and it will literally last them forever (i'm stacking up on daedric arrows this way :) ). However at least on some items the charges are not infinite. Lydia singlehandedly emptied out my sanguine rose, and I know she has emptied out other charged items as well. Perhaps it has something to do with the item type.

psyk0

No soul gem large enough.
Ya I sneak through the whole dungeon but I use a bow only while sneaking. I've lost like 5 companions though.

Quick question: How many times can a companion get knocked down before they die for good? Seems as if my own fire breath or arrow kills them.

If your follower takes enough damage to kill them from any source, they'll kneel down and go into recovery mode. Enemies will ignore them while in this mode, but if they happen to take damage again (say, from a stray fireball), they'll be killed for good.

Umbranar

I gave Lydia my (might be minor spoiler) Deadric Mace i got from a quest and some soul gems. Haven`t checked the status on those gems so i can inform you tonight (or tomorrow if i forget to post during play).