Looking for ideas in replay (beat the game yesterday) - spoilers

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Jake Johnson

See topic.

Yesterday, my Nord One-Handed warrior (foci: One-Handed Sword, Block, Heavy Armor, Restoration), sent Alduin to wherever dragons go when they die.

His path through the game:

Unbound
Before the Storm
Join the Companions and complete the quest line
Finish the Main Quest (I knew I would be forced to join the Thieves' Guild, but I didn't know I'd have to join the College of Winterhold, also!)

I will entertain proper suggestions for a new path through the game.

I am thinking of something like a magic-using archer/assassin (Conjuration for Bound weapons, destruction, restoration, Archery, Stealth, Blade.)

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
you know thats only the main quest right roughly bout 10% of the game, he killed alduin go have him join a guild

Jake Johnson

He has already joined and completed the Companions quests.

That was the only guild I was interested in for that character.

berzum

Why is the alto wine always gone?
do a new play through and join the DB, complete other faction, if you have the DLC's those add some new stuff, also play as a vampire can make things fun

Jake Johnson

I am considering for my new play-through a Khajiit Mage/Thief hybrid.

Major skills:

Restoration, Destruction, (mage skills)
Stealth, Archery, Pickpocket, Light Armor (thief skills)
Blacksmithing, One-handed Blade (fighter skills)

first important mission: Missing in Action (I can get some Elven Armor from those Thalmor there!)

Path through game:

Unbound
Before the Storm
The Golden Claw
A few other quests, including the Wolf Queen quests, Blood on the Ice, both quests involving The White Phial and Missing In Action

While keeping level 20 in mind, join the Companions (and become Harbinger), join the College of Winterhold (and become Arch-Mage), join the Riften Thieves' Guild (and become leader of that too, regaining its former glory), finally joining the Dark Brotherhood where I can really turn Mehrunes' Razor into my best friend!

See how close I am to level 20 at that point.
At level 20, do Pieces of the Past - Mehrunes' Razor is one sweet weapon.

Finally, do the main game, checking all the time for Stones of Barenziah.

Annageckos

That seems like a very strict playthrough. It's good to go in with a plan, but let it take you where it will. There is so much to this game and it sounds like you are missing out on a lot of it. Do some main quest, do some side quest. Explore some caves, see what you can find. Do you have any of the DLC's?

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
I'd suggest you don't do any of the main quests until at least level 40--one time I didn't do any until level 60! Work on your skill building. Smith to 100. Become a thane in each hold. Find the all the dragon priest masks. Find all of the stones of Barenziah (although I personally don't do that one anymore, because it de-motivates you to earn money). Clear out caves. Battle Foresworn. Find every shout. Go to Solstheim and become a member of House Telvani. Find the truth about Saffire. Find 10 fire salts for Balimund. Mine Blackreach until you have enough soul gems for a lifetime, then go kill every giant and every mammoth. Enchant everything with grand soul gems. And on and on and on...

berzum

Why is the alto wine always gone?
I'd suggest you don't do any of the main quests until at least level 40--one time I didn't do any until level 60! Work on your skill building. Smith to 100. Become a thane in each hold. Find the all the dragon priest masks. Find all of the stones of Barenziah (although I personally don't do that one anymore, because it de-motivates you to earn money). Clear out caves. Battle Foresworn. Find every shout. Go to Solstheim and become a member of House Telvani. Find the truth about Saffire. Find 10 fire salts for Balimund. Mine Blackreach until you have enough soul gems for a lifetime, then go kill every giant and every mammoth. Enchant everything with grand soul gems. And on and on and on...
the longer you wait before xploring caves the more of a challenge it becomes, which is why I am currently doing an Epoc Play Through, my character will not be doing quest or caves till atleast least lvl 80+ maybe 100 if im lucky. some say that i a bad idea, but i need a challenge and the rewards and gear that the snemies will have will be nice im hoping.

Jake Johnson

I just thought of another build:

A Wood Elf Marksman (too bad there's no Gimli to yell, "That only counts as ONE!")

However, I will find a better name than Legolas (I just don't like the name. No offense to him, though.)

Archery - Take EVERYTHING in that tree.

One-Handed - Armsman (all five), Fighting Stance, Dual Flurry, Dual Savagery (as a backup, he carries the Razor of Mehrunes Dagon and an Elven Dagger.)

Blacksmithing - everything up the light side of the tree: Steel, Elven, Glass, Dragon and Advanced Armors.

Blocking - Shield Wall, Power Bash, Disarming Bash

Light Armor - take all perks in that tree.

Sneak - take all perks in that tree. I especially like Backstab, Assassin's Blade, and Deadly Aim.
Backstab x Assassin's Blade x Razor of Mehrunes Dagon often equals dead foe.

Alchemy - Alchemist (all five ranks), Physician, Poisoner, Experimenter (all three ranks)

Pickpocket - Light Fingers, Night Thief, Poisoned (it will make Alchemy worth it!), Cutpurse, Extra Pockets

Speech - Haggling, Bribery, Persuasion, Intimidation, Investor, Fence

Illusion - Novice Illusion, Animage, Apprentice Illusion, Kindred Mage, Quiet Casting

ColleenG

the longer you wait before xploring caves the more of a challenge it becomes, which is why I am currently doing an Epoc Play Through, my character will not be doing quest or caves till atleast least lvl 80+ maybe 100 if im lucky. some say that i a bad idea, but i need a challenge and the rewards and gear that the snemies will have will be nice im hoping.

I currently have two characters, one at level 70 and one at level 28, and I play on Master. Before you get the wrong idea about level 28, she's done almost nothing in battle to get there. Smithing, enchanting, running errands, speech, and buying training. So she's very green. Anyway, the Level 28 character cleared Ragnvald, and literally died trying (hahahaha, actually she died many, many times). It took forever and dang, even the Draugr wights were a challenge. So then it occurred to me that my level 70 character hadn't been there. So I changed over and SHE went to Ragnvald. Took about 5 minutes, and felt like a casual stroll in the park. Point being, things can be a challenge at any level, for the most part. But when you've filled your chosen perk trees, things are a whole lot easier.

ColleenG

I just thought of another build:

A Wood Elf Marksman (too bad there's no Gimli to yell, "That only counts as ONE!")

However, I will find a better name than Legolas (I just don't like the name. No offense to him, though.)

Archery - Take EVERYTHING in that tree.

One-Handed - Armsman (all five), Fighting Stance, Dual Flurry, Dual Savagery (as a backup, he carries the Razor of Mehrunes Dagon and an Elven Dagger.)

Blacksmithing - everything up the light side of the tree: Steel, Elven, Glass, Dragon and Advanced Armors.

Blocking - Shield Wall, Power Bash, Disarming Bash

Light Armor - take all perks in that tree.

Sneak - take all perks in that tree. I especially like Backstab, Assassin's Blade, and Deadly Aim.
Backstab x Assassin's Blade x Razor of Mehrunes Dagon often equals dead foe.

Alchemy - Alchemist (all five ranks), Physician, Poisoner, Experimenter (all three ranks)

Pickpocket - Light Fingers, Night Thief, Poisoned (it will make Alchemy worth it!), Cutpurse, Extra Pockets

Speech - Haggling, Bribery, Persuasion, Intimidation, Investor, Fence

Illusion - Novice Illusion, Animage, Apprentice Illusion, Kindred Mage, Quiet Casting

I just did that. On one-handed, just choose your weapon type, and ignore the others. I prefer war axes because I get to behead people. So I don't perk the maces or swords.

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
if you wait until level 80, it will be more of a challenge but you likely will reach a point that even though loot drops are better, you are strong enough that they don't really mean that much. Play it how you want though that's the beauty of this game. I'd just be afraid that it would be hard to avoid so much of the game for so long and still be into it as long as it would take to level up.

Don't know if you are on PC or not, but if so I added the mod "enhanced high-level gameplay" into the mix in the mid-60's level-wise to ramp the challenge up a bit. That and legend difficulty can make things a challenge again later on down the path.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Uhm... how can you possibly "beat" a game that is specifically designed not to have an ending?

Did you do every single quest, side-quest and favor and explore every conceivable location, site and conquer everything within all 3 DLCs? If not, you really haven't beaten anything.

I see where you're going, if you say you "beat" a certainly RP method. Say you're the Dragonborn and therefore you only "beat" Alduin and Miraak. Cool! Good for you.

I think SR is set up for a more role-play sort of thing.

My current Ulv is doing the Dragonborn thing but is also trying to be Thane in every hold and all around hero while doing his part to maintain law and order by working to keep the Empire in place. Got a long, long way too go.

My current Ingin is doing the magic route with the DB & TG thrown in along with the Dragonborn story line but shying away from the civil war.

My current Khem'El isn't doing any of it, just wandering about and stealing books.

I guess it depends on what you want to do.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
"Play the character, not the game. The more characters you play, the closer you will come to beating the game" - an old, wise RPGer.
I still wonder if Skyrim is really a game you can "beat". There really isn't a set goal and it's not linear.