cannot get followers anymore.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Lord Mas Chingon

I lost the ability to have followers. My last follower was killed. Every time I ask someone to follow me the respond with, looks like you already have someone. My wife won't follow me either. Please help.

Miryks

how long ago did your last follower die? only way I would know for sure would be to revert back to a save before that. A possibility, just brainstorming here, is to go into a place where your follower cannot accompany you, maybe going in there and back out will reset it since they are not rejoining you when you come back out, since of course, they are dead. I dont know what story lines you are following but an example of a place your follower cannot accompany you would be in the twilight sepulcher or Savngarde, or maybe an easier one to access would be to do the Pelagius Wing quest, located in the Blue Palace in Solitude, since it doesn't require you to join any type of faction or be too deep in the game, unless you've already done that of course. (Keep in mind with that one you have to complete it you can't just go in and back out, though it is pretty easy, in my opinion)

Miryks

the only other thing I can think of as a possibility is to do a quest with a "forced" follower, which automatically forces your other follower away. the only one I can think of, but i know there are more, is early in the companions questline, Proving Honor, basically the first quest in that storyline after joining the companions, Farkas will become your follower automatically for that quest. You may be done with that, may not have started, but perhaps that will push away your imaginary follower.

annelid

Noob
Do you know your last follower was killed, or are you assuming?

If you ask them to wait somewhere, sometimes they seem not to get the 'your follower gets bored of waiting' trigger and just wait forever more.

Lord Mas Chingon

Do you know your last follower was killed, or are you assuming?

If you ask them to wait somewhere, sometimes they seem not to get the 'your follower gets bored of waiting' trigger and just wait forever more.
Yes I took everything she was carrying for me. I does dark brotherhood horse take away from being able to get a follower? If so how do I get rid of the horse. I prefer a person following.

tonj

Master of Distraction
The horse is not considered a follower, although it is a pro at stalking you across Skyrim and fighting anything in a 1000ft radius lol. You can leave Shadowmere at a stable you own (if you have Hearthfire) or a city stable by purchasing a different horse, that will prevent him from popping up everywhere you fast travel. Quest lines I forgot I was on that prevented me from having a follower include the Companions one - Proving Honor, the one with Barnabas the dog and Clavicus Vile, the Blades quest where you have to meet them at Sky Haven Temple, and the Moth Priest quest where you meet Serana at the Ancient Grove (although she wasn't even there but rather treading water up in Solstheim). If you have the Dragonborn expansion check up there, that place seems to glitch the crap out of followers.

Lord Mas Chingon

the only other thing I can think of as a possibility is to do a quest with a "forced" follower, which automatically forces your other follower away. the only one I can think of, but i know there are more, is early in the companions questline, Proving Honor, basically the first quest in that storyline after joining the companions, Farkas will become your follower automatically for that quest. You may be done with that, may not have started, but perhaps that will push away your imaginary follower.
Solved. Farkas with the companions set me free after I asked him for work. We went to kill a dragon and afterwards I was able to get followers again. I had married Aela of the companions a while back and she is now following me everywhere.. Thx everyone. Just defeated auduin but he escaped. well back to the game.