Spoiler Your Views on Skyrim's Political Climate

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
Please let's avoid extending this to real world politics discussions as it will get messy.

Dvalin

Please let's avoid extending this to real world politics discussions as it will get messy.
SKyrim mirrors real world politics. That's why this is touchy in the first place. Some topics are going to be inherently more sensitive than others. We should be polite but I think real world arguements are perfectly valid. Where did Bethesda's inspirations for these situations come from in the first place?

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
OK, but whoever mentions the Nazis loses. :p

One big issue with discussions of politics is an issue of trust, I think. Some people trust others more. Some don't trust others at all , especially politicians. So we always end up with two camps, those that more or less accept the prevalent way of understanding society and politics, which is that the leaders are elected by and are serving the people; and those that believe that politicos and leaders are mostly predators and vultures that engage in conspiracies for the benefit of themselves, regardless of the often lethal toll on the people.

IRL world, those who accept the official history of the west, including of course the official version of 9/11... and those who don't.

The threat of the powerful enemy at the gates is always present, (communists, terrorists, aliens) and is used by the leaders to establish a constant situation of martial law, handy for subservient populations working away without too many questions or demands, to bring in the profits to the leaders and their friends. ;)

In Skyrim world, some believe that Ulfric and/or the Emperor have the interests of the people at heart, and share a common goal against a possible Thalmor invasion. The more cynical among us will tend to think that both of these guys don't give a crap about the people, and are either secretly working WITH the Thalmor for fun and profit, or - because of the effect all their crimes have had on their souls- have fallen under the mental control of the Thalmor, who are, after all, Mages.

The Thalmor will exploit Ulfric's hunger for power to their advantage.

Corrupt leaders will not help, Only The Dragonborne will sort this out, and maybe turn the dragons against the Dominion!

Anyway I haven't played through yet so don't spoil it too much please!

3v3r

I have scale-itch... Don't ask how I got it.
So you would support an authority who gives control over to a impending power that demands they are the master race in order to avoid bloodshed, while siding against those who are shedding their blood to demand independence and freedom....

I demand you rethink this argument, or read about WWII
The thalmor aren't trying to eliminate an entire people, just a belief. Its more like the Crusades than WWII.

I would definitely take the side of the stormcloaks........if they cared more about other races.

Chryss

I do not like the Thalmar so with help from another thread, I broke into the Thalmar embassy and Elenwyn is now dead!!! I wonder what the repercussions will be to that.
And I am an Imperial and I joined the Imperials, but I kill who I want...cuz I can

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
If they are planning to deal with the Thalmor, as you all seem to say, then clearly it would be better for Skyrim to side with the Empire, and thus unite everyone together. Divided nations won't help much when it comes down to clearing the Dominion out.

brandon

I do not like the Thalmar so with help from another thread, I broke into the Thalmar embassy and Elenwyn is now dead!!! I wonder what the repercussions will be to that.
And I am an Imperial and I joined the Imperials, but I kill who I want...cuz I can
wait you can break into the thalmore embassy twice. i thought you could only do it for that one quest. please share this knowledge

Chryss

wait you can break into the thalmore embassy twice. i thought you could only do it for that one quest. please share this knowledge
I started a thread in the help section "Thalmar Embassy" and used the information i was given there. I used the Horse Glitch and was able to get back in, went through the house and killed Elenwyn while she was sleeping. Took all the goodies I left behind the first time through during Diplomatic Immunity.

brandon

I started a thread in the help section "Thalmar Embassy" and used the information i was given there. I used the Horse Glitch and was able to get back in, went through the house and killed Elenwyn while she was sleeping. Took all the goodies I left behind the first time through during Diplomatic Immunity.
thanks

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
I sat on the fence during the civil war. Among other things, it gave me the opportunity to negotiate the peace treaty and gave me additional insights about the civil war.

My character is a Nord but I simply couldn't support Ulfric. His motivations are ultimately selfish and ego driven. He's basically a narcissist who wants to rule Skyrim for himself, and "liberation" from Empire rule is simply a necessary byproduct of his personal ambitions. Ulfric started the war, not the Empire. He's responsible for pitting Nord against Nord and the spilling of Nord blood on both sides, and it's very telling regarding his popularity or rather lack thereof among the general Nord populace that this is not just a war between the Empire and the Stormcloaks but a civil war as well. As a Nord I want to see an independent Skyrim, but I think the Nords deserve better than rule under an egomaniac like Ulfric and his xenophobic racist Stormcloaks.

As an aside, I have to say that the ban on the worship of Talos, which seems to be the central bone of contention, is essentially a toothless edict as it's readily apparent that the Empire doesn't do much to enforce it and that open worship of Talos in Skyrim is one of the worst kept secrets in the realm. The only ones that seem to enforce it are the Thalmor who don't have the presence in Skyrim to do much about it.

m1c00l

As far as I'm concerned banning talos is just as bad the stormcloaks being a bit racist, everyone in skyrim is racist the beast races are the most hated along with dark and high elves. As for high king torygg while you could say ulfric cheated he probably would have won anyway, and it think even an elf-butt-licker (sorry i meant imperials) has to admit that it was a challenge, not murder. Also ulfric isn't a nazi, he just puts his own people first. Anyway the dragonborn should be high king since he controls the college, companions brotherhood and thieve guild

Rathalos_lord_of_the_sky

-Bnahabra King-
Ulfric being an 'asset' does not mean he is in league with the Thalmor. That just means they value him playing his part to weaken the Empire.
Ulfric sounds like the finishing blow for the empire.
But i just suddenly understand something! Please exscuse any errors i make im rather rushed.

Ulfric wins: Empire is devastated other provinces seeking to gain back previously lost land *cough* Southern provinces. Will see them as weak and go for the attack The empire not fully recovered from the skyrim conflict lose more and more land before disbanded. This would probally only take an era.

Empire wins: The empire is proud of the win after their recent loss. And they continue building their ranks with strong nords with a hatred for elves. the other provinces are afraid to attack the new empire and this eventually leads to the empire regaining their hold and an Imperial will once again be emperor(Thank Talos) Skyrim(and possibly the elves) will constantly be used as an example of what happens to those who mess with the empire.

Dragons win: We all died.

Dylansauce02

Slaying Trolls and taking names.
Bottom line, the Thalmor are our enemies. If Ulfric wants to weaken the only force keeping the Dominion out of Skyrim, I guess that's okay but don't come crawling back when the 'freedom' you fought so hard for is taken away by the Thalmor. We are trying just as hard as we can to build our forces to get rid of the Thalmor in your land just as much as you are. You're just the ones weakening us.

MoulinRouge

I've seen stormcloaks fight against a couple of thalmor justiciars. Wasn't Impressed. The Stormcloaks better be glad that the dragonborn is on their side or else they'd have their rear end handed to them by the Aldmeri Dominion.

Skyrimosity

Funny you say that MoulinRouge because wandering around Skyrim I have seen many fights between Stormcloaks and Imperials and the Stormcloaks have won the vast majority of battles I've seen.

MoulinRouge

Really? Whenever I see those random encounters its always been 50/50(sometimes its an Imperial victory other times its Stormcloaks). But the Aldmeri Dominion/Thalmor is a different enemy. Despite siding with them I don't think the Stormcloaks know what they're up against.

Edit: I sincerely hope they make a dlc in continuation of the civil war. The whole thing felt like a cliffhanger.

The Fatalist

Destroyer of goats
I side with the empire. Basic Logic says that 4-5 united races has a better chance against the Aldmeri Dominion than 3 seperate provinces. I also get the feeling that Tulius would fight against the Thalmor no matter what the empire officially said, also Titus Mede keeps a amulet of talos in his wardrobe (I checked).
So much for the Empire being puppets.

The most Ironic thing is, Ulfric fights the very empire that was forged by the man he wishes to worship.

The thalmor aren't trying to eliminate an entire people, just a belief. Its more like the Crusades than WWII.

Actually, they are. They believe that they can only return to divinity when every last man on nirn has been destroyed.