• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Haligh

Gumby's Partner in Crime
Morrowind was amazing looking back on it now, but back when I had it I didn't really know what to do with myself. It was like a long chain of "Really incredibly stupid" moments. The cool thing for me about Morrowind compared to Skyrim/Oblivion was the sheer danger involved in exploring outside of towns. I spent the first few hours too terrified to leave Sheyda Neen (20 minutes or so spent thinking the Stilt-Strider was an enemy), and instead I perfected my methods for stealing EVERYTHING in the opening character building sequence. Every basket on the boat, every candlestick inside the first building, I would steal. Then I moved on to other towns (always by stilt-strider), robbing every armor shop I found. By the end of a week I had re-loaded over 50 times after being caught trying to steal everything I saw, and occasionally from trying to sneak-kill people I had no right to sneak-kill. Never did get past level 2.

Good times.

Gowsh

Old Fart
At long last, I'd finally made it to Mournhold ...

Neriad13, thanks so much for your wonderful reminiscences of the game.

I'm a bit late to the party on this thread, but you make me want to quit my job, run home and play Morrowind.

I've just started the game (level 10) on my Xbox after discovering TES with Skyrim.

Thanks again!

Lokir

My wow moment for Morrowind. I went to family video picked up a copy, and the second I started playing I was amazed, the graphics "at the time" were awesome, and the amount you could put into your character was amazing, just stepping into the world felt different from any other game I had played. I played a bit, then made a new character and so on, till the point I found out you can steal an item from the first room your in, drop it, and the guard will talk to you, pick it back up and you got your self a free item to sell. My first moment of... I shouldn't have done that was killing a character that was linked to the story, Think it was the first person your supposed to deliver papers to, oh and finding out that selling the said papers wasn't that great of an idea either lol.

Gowsh

Old Fart
you can steal an item from the first room your in, drop it, and the guard will talk to you, pick it back up and you got your self a free item to sell.

Regrettably, i don't think that can be done on the Xbox version.

As soon as I pick something up, everyone in the room starts attacking.

Unless I'm missing something big (wouldn't be the first time :)), to drop an item, it first has to go into inventory. I seem to recall that dropping the item at that point had no effect.

All these stories are great motivation, regardless.

Thanks.

Neriad13

Premium Member
The funny thing about Morrowind is that it was a game in which I experienced culture shock. It was as though I'd actually entered a foreign country, knowing nothing about the culture and customs of the natives. When I jumped ship in Seyda Neen, I had no idea what items were food, except the fairly obvious bread and as a result, frequently went hungry in my new home. When I held a bottle of flin or mazte in my hand, I had no clue what it was that I was holding and could only hope that it wasn't made from fermented bug guts.

The flora and fauna was so vastly different from what I'd seen anywhere else too. And they all looked threatening. Particularly funny was the very first time I ever saw an alit. I was taking a fairly pleasant hike into Caldera and had just reached the city gates. All of a sudden, I see the town guards racing towards me at full speed. I froze in terror, thinking that I'd committed a crime and didn't know about it. I soon realized that what was actually happening was much worse. The guards blew right past me, sinking their swords into the hide of a terrible monster that had been right behind me, most probably for some time, without me noticing. In a second, it was dead and I gawked in horror at its toothy corpse. The thing was all mouth and razor teeth. I shivered in terror, pulled my pack tighter over my shoulders and speedily ducked into the safety of town. It was quite some time before I came to see alits as fairly harmless foes.

meben15

Lord of the Meeblings
I LOVE Morrowind. The best part about it is no leveling, it makes low levels a struggle for survival and that is really fun. For some reason I always feel more accomplished after I flee a imposible fight than when I beat an easy one.

Wow moments: The first time I played Morrowind I was walking to Caldera from Balmora, much like Neriad described above, and I was ambushed by a Nix hound. I was new to the really weird looking mosters of Morrowind, so the first think I did was scream 'MOTHER OF GOD WHAT IN THE NAME OF AZURA IS THAT THING!!!' plus I was really low level and I had to run to Caldera and have the guards help me. I love Morrowind guards, they are so nice <3

butcherpete2277

Suthay-raht
The first time I visited Vivec, I thought it was really desolate and empty, that is, until I went inside one of the buildings, and realized each building would have as many people as the first... There have got to be around 100 or more NPCs there.

smnmhn

I met a Daedra standing calmly in the Maar Gan shrine, surrounded by the faithful and puzzled by his presence, I spoke to him. I then noticed that there was a "Taunt Daedra" speech option. At first I thought that it would be an incredibly stupid thing to do and would probably result in the death of whoever tried it. But my curiosity got the best of me in the end. I saved my game and set to work taunting him. It took time, but I managed to taunt him to the point of breaking. And when he broke, this was what he said to me:

"After I kill you I will rape your corpse. Don't worry. I'll be gentle."

I laughed so hard in amazement and hilarity. Wow! They got away with a line like that! Somehow, I rather doubt that the writing in Skyrim had the same liberties.

And then I was sad that he didn't drop any daedric armor.

Just to note, I was looking about on uesp and found that the books in daggerfall about Barenziah have explicit sex scenes, along with the female enemies sometimes being topless without a nude mod, so it just gets tamer and tamer.

Also, that place in Ald-ruhn is a crab, not a mushroom

meben15

Lord of the Meeblings
Just to note, I was looking about on uesp and found that the books in daggerfall about Barenziah have explicit sex scenes, along with the female enemies sometimes being topless without a nude mod, so it just gets tamer and tamer.

Also, that place in Ald-ruhn is a crab, not a mushroom
Indeed, the shell of an Emperor Crab. When I found that out I though 'That is one biiiiiig mudcrab' XD

Neriad13

Premium Member

Oh yeah. Well, one explicit sex scene anyway. On the first Daggerfall character I ever made, in the first dungeon, minutes after I'd downloaded the game, I was going through my starting inventory. And would you guess it? That volume of 'The Real Barenziah' was in there. "Hey, I know this!" I went, popping it open. A minute passed and at the end of it, my thought was "Oh my."

As for topless females, it isn't just enemies. If I remember correctly, the head of the Mages' Guild in Daggerfall numbers among them.

Gowsh

Old Fart
Ummm...

This is going to sound creepy after the messages above, but I assure you my interest is more than prurient. :rolleyes:

Is the Daggerfall game easily obtainable? It would fit my current "Dash through the TES past" motif.

Thanks,

meben15

Lord of the Meeblings
Ummm...

This is going to sound creepy after the messages above, but I assure you my interest is more than prurient. :rolleyes:

Is the Daggerfall game easily obtainable? It would fit my current "Dash through the TES past" motif.

Thanks,
lol yeah, you can download it for free off if the ES website ;)

Neriad13

Premium Member
Ummm...

Thanks,

It's actually a lot easier to get it here, pre-configured for Windows. Saves you some messing around in DOSBox.

Gowsh

Old Fart
Unfortunately, I'm an Xbox360-only household with no funds for a PC I'd settle for anywhere soon on the horizon.

I took a look around for the Xbox version, but had no luck on Amazon, GameStop or Ebay. I was surprised, as I though I saw the cover of an Xbox version.

If anyone has a line on one, please let me know.

Thanks.

PS - OK. I admit it. I have kind of a thing for Barenziah. :confused: Think about it, though, 400 years of experience. OMG!! :D

Neriad13

Premium Member
Unfortunately, I'm an Xbox360-only household with no funds for a PC I'd settle for anywhere soon on the horizon.

I took a look around for the Xbox version, but had no luck on Amazon, GameStop or Ebay. I was surprised, as I though I saw the cover of an Xbox version.

If anyone has a line on one, please let me know.

Thanks.

PS - OK. I admit it. I have kind of a thing for Barenziah. :confused: Think about it, though, 400 years of experience. OMG!! :D

I think the first two titles were made strictly for PC and that the first time consoles were included was with Morrowind. But, I'd wager that they'd be able to run on a truly craptastic computer, should you ever decide to make the leap.

Y'know, I don't think I've met a single person who dislikes Barenziah. ;)

Gowsh

Old Fart
Here's the image I saw.

47801-the-elder-scrolls-ii-daggerfall.jpg

Since we all know that if it's on the Internet, it must be true, my search will continue! ;)

Lockeandkey

I've never owned a computer without putting Morrowind on it. No matter what game I'm playing at the moment, when I think of the Elder Scrolls, I always think back to strolling across the river in Balmora. It's easily the best city in the series for me. Well designed, defensible, and SO populated for the time. And I love that they had the segregated 'poor' district. So well thought out.

And for a 'wow' moment: Realizing that you can doom the entire world ... and the game is perfectly fine with that. Carry on.

Oh, and:

MW-npc-CrassiusCurio.jpg

"Hello, dumpling."

KaitoGhost

Sea Sponge First Mate
Ah... Morrowind. Hands down, my favorite game ever. I don't remember how many times I played through it, or how many different characters I made. So many moments, so many...

Like the very first time I left Seyda Neen for Balmora, and came across those acrobatic boosting scrolls...

Like the time I walked into a cave inside the Ghostfence, and came across a vampire in full ebony armor having a seizure on the floor..

Like the time I discovered how to permanently summon Golden Saints, while enchanting my armor and weapons...

Like the first time I saw Azura's Shrine, and jumped off the top (without using slowfall or levitation)...

And, of course, my museums. Every character I made, I made my museum, using the empty manor at the top of Balmora. I should reconnect my old xbox just to visit my museum again...

I started TES with Morrowind, and while the next 2 games were great, compared to Morrowind, they were merely adequate.

Jack Fulham

Premium Member
Morrowind is probably the greatest game I ever played. I was only 9 or 10 when I first got it so I did not have the slightest idea of what was going on. It was also full of weird monsters which I had no idea how to fight and usually ended up running away from them. Still I managed to visit the majority of the map by just exploring. The funnest part of Morrowind was just exploring places, the outside of the map was probably more fun than inside places. I also made the mistake of travelling to Solstheim as a low level. I even stole superfast travel boots (which made you blind) to try and reach Skaal village but I got lost. It was fun though. I think I got quite high up in House Hlaalu which for some reason were my favourite house. Great game. Wish Oblivion and Skyrim were as in depth as Morrowind was. Would love them to do a remake of the game or something similar. The biggest difficulty I had was just trying to find places.