why would anyone play a non Nord when Skyrim is about Norse Viking/ Anglo Saxon Warrior Culture

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

AS88

Staff member
and also Dagmar, I count two confirmed parallels. ahaa sorry. I'm done with this I didn't really come here to piss people off and get upset. I was just sticking up for the guy because he wasn't telling any of you what to do, he wasn't demanding you play as a Nord. He was just simply pointing out the COMPLETELY f***ing OBIVOUS fact that it makes much more sense to play as a Nord. becaause whether or not you can play as another race doesn't discount the fact that all of these games are written with a certain race in mind for tha MQ.

I'm seriously done now. Apologies if I offended any of you arrogant fanboys. Fine people. :)

I see your point, and a lot of people have taken this way too seriously. But, your opinion that Nord is the obvious choice is just that, your opinion. Let me show why I have played as a non-Nord before.

1. The player is crossing the border INTO Skyrim. I know, maybe they're a Nord who's been travelling, maybe they've lived elsewhere, whatever. The point is, the game is allowing that flexibility as soon as the game starts - it is what you make it - a role-playing game.

2. Not all Dragonborns were Nords. As said by another poster, an Imperial was the first Dragonborn. Even Talos is thought to be a Breton (see The Arcturian Heresy). The Gods are supposedly the ones who grant the gift of the Dragon blood, to the one(s) they deem worthy, that's how I justified playing an Orc Dragonborn.

3. There's nothing in the game which says you have to be Dragonborn. Maybe you're a criminal on the run, or just a traveller looking for work. Maybe you're a Dark Elf made homeless by the events in Morrowind. Have a little imagination, and you'll enjoy the game a lot more.

AS88

Staff member
Don't you dare use logic but you do have a good point...

I'm just trying to promote reason and common sense haha.

Another thing, too. At the start of the Stormcloak quest line, Galmar asks everyone more or less "why's a foreigner want to fight for Skyrim?" This could just be a bug or missing dialogue, but he even says it to Nords. Maybe the Dragonborn looks like a Nord, but has a Cyrodilic or Breton (or etc) accent? Who knows, considering we never hear our player speak (except shouting, ofc, which doesn't really count).

See? Imagination. Think about the bigger picture.

All I'm saying is, there's a lot more to the game than "Ooh Dragons and Vikings - must be Viking!" Because that's totally not what this series is all about, as Dagmar and others have so eloquently and reasonably inferred. :p

Writes-Many-Posts

Champion of Grottos and Gremlins
if that was the case of only nords in skyrim, then there would be no civil war, falmer, automatons, dwemer ruins, probably magic too, except for Onmund, trading caravans, orcish strongholds, skooma, since khajiit and orcs are mainly the ones who sell it, the argonian embassy, a lot of quests like searching for the redguard woman or lights out!, the powers would not be so special, thalmor would also be unexistant, orcish, dwarven and elven armor, and a lot of contracts of the dark brotherhood would be impossible, since some of them are argonians and khajiit. i wouldnt like skyrim without these. its variety is what makes me think its one of the nerdiest and greatest games ever.

Because nords are so boreing made 2 nords and deleted them both.

Zoa Two Tails

Cloak and Dagger Artist
The guy is disrespecting me hes talking to me all wrong and in the wrong tone
Wahhhhhhh its a troll thread
*hears in background "Hey what do you want for lunch today" Replies "Leave me alone mom i'm being disrepected..."

Isn't the whole motto "live another life, in another world"?

That's one thing that will be cool about Elder Scrolls Online is that there will be stuff tailored to every race.

Problem: the Septim line of emperors started with an Imperial Dragonborn.

He founded the empire, but he was an Imperial. And i think there actually were two Septim lines, of which both started with a Dragonborn. Not aure about that, though.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
I actually agree to this. Nowhere in the lore ( Lore:Thu'um - UESPWiki ) does it indicate that any other race can have the ability to use the Thu'um. It's strictly Nord form of magic.
Uh, you do realize that the basis for lore is game content and not a wiki site don't you? The Greybeards tell you that Thu'um can be learned by anyone through dedication and practice but that Dragonborn have a natural affinity for it.
The title of Dragonborn should only be reserve for nord races.
The title of Dragonborn was first used on St. Alessia, a Colovian and founder of the First Imperial Empire. All of the rulers of the First and Second Empire appear to have been Dragonborn under the pact with Akatosh which each confirmed through a ritual with the Amulet of Kings, and many if not most of them were not Nords, including Martin Septim, the last Dragonborn Emperor, who was an Imperial.
He founded the empire, but he was an Imperial. And i think there actually were two Septim lines, of which both started with a Dragonborn. Not aure about that, though.
No he wasn't. Tiber Septim was an Atmoran Nord as confirmed repeatedly from multiple sources including both editions of the Pocket Guide to the Empire. While he had a brother, the Septim line is viewed as one lineage in terms of succession in rulership and ends with Martin Septim.

Medea

The Shadow Queen
At the beginning of the game Ralof says "we're all brothers and sisters in binds now thief", and when I look around, I don't see any other women. So maybe you're supposed to play as a woman too. ;)

AS88

Staff member
At the beginning of the game Ralof says "we're all brothers and sisters in binds now thief", and when I look around, I don't see any other women. So maybe you're supposed to play as a woman too. ;)

There are women in the other carriages :p

Daedra'Mc'Bitch

I actually do end up choosing Nord most of the time to avoid picking those midget Bretons, those slimy lizards, those absolutely-no-resistance-whatsoever Imperials and wood elves, those wrinkly forehead Dunmer, those raspy-voiced khajiits, those lame-ass Redguards, and those absolutely butt ugly orcs. High elves are alright.

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
Uh, you do realize that the basis for lore is game content and not a wiki site don't you? The Greybeards tell you that Thu'um can be learned by anyone through dedication and practice but that Dragonborn have a natural affinity for it.

I admit that I missed this conversation with the Greybeards. I've tried searching for the transcript, but with no luck. Do you have a video or transcript so I can take a look for myself? I'm in no position of making a new character at this very moment. I do remember Ulfric saying something simular to what you told me "Any Nord can learn the Way of the Voice by studying with the Greybeards, given enough ambition and dedication."

The title of Dragonborn was first used on St. Alessia, a Colovian and founder of the First Imperial Empire. All of the rulers of the First and Second Empire appear to have been Dragonborn under the pact with Akatosh which each confirmed through a ritual with the Amulet of Kings, and many if not most of them were not Nords, including Martin Septim, the last Dragonborn Emperor, who was an Imperial.

Ok so where else does it say that Elven kind, Orcs; beast race like Khajiit and Argonians had a history of having Dragonborns in their lineage?

AS88

Staff member
Ok so where else does it say that Elven kind, Orcs; beast race like Khajiit and Argonians had a history of having Dragonborns in their lineage?

I get your point, but who says it has to be in their lineage? I believe that Alessia was gifted the dragon blood when the humans were being oppressed, right? Who's to say that Akatosh wouldn't look down on the Dunmer and do the same (except maybe for the Daedra worship :p )? Maybe Akatosh grants the powers to the one He(?) believes worthy - be it man or mer or etc?

Also, the dragon blood is a gift. Alessia didn't have it in her lineage before she was granted it. Who's to say it couldn't be granted to a non-human?

Docta Corvina

Guess some minds would be blown considering my main character is a Breton/Redguard mix. :p Hybrid race characters are fascinating to me.

I suppose I didn't play a Nord and haven't because I simply don't find them all that interesting. Individual Nords can be cool enough (ie. Brynjolf), but as a whole I've never been into it. It's really just that simple. Obviously any race can learn the Way of the Voice and there is an evident history of non-Nord Dragonborns. So really, there's nothing compelling me to play a Nord, especially when I don't find them alluring to begin with.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts