why would anyone play a non Nord when Skyrim is about Norse Viking/ Anglo Saxon Warrior Culture

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
but go ahead, jump on my ass because of little details and specifics in my wording and the meaningless facts I overlooked. I really pity a person who actually cares so much about a fictional pantheon, or culture, or tradition....

Suleku

The Grey Knight
I was not trying to be arrogant, I was disgusted at the level of contempt aimed at this poor sod for stating an opinion/asking a question. and for the last time Every Bard Sings a song about the dragonborn in which they say, and I quote AGAIN "with a voice wielding power of the ancient nord tongue" I did not misread a damn thing.

Sounded to me like the redneck was promoting everyone to play a nord... Problem is they're other race chooses in skyrim too :/. Soo Please tell him/her/it not to get angry just because other people wanna stick with them over the common nord :3 lol

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
but go ahead, jump on my ass because of little details and specifics in my wording and the meaningless facts I overlooked.
Saying facts are meaningless doesn't magically make them so. They're quite relevant as they basically refute everything you've attempted to posit about the game. I guess it's understandable why you would want to pretend they're meaningless though.
I really pity a person who actually cares so much about a fictional pantheon, or culture, or tradition....
Your pity is better reserved for this pathetic ad hominem. It doesn't take any significant amount of concern to point out obvious things that emasculate your propositions as flawed and inaccurate.

I see you failed Norse Mythology as well as Colonial American History. Putting aside that the Divines aren't Nordic gods (they're simply the gods of Tamriel) there are no close parallels to Norse mythology. Akatosh and Odin are as different pantheon chieftains as one could find nor are there any comparable deities to Thor, Baldr, Loki, Hemdallr, Freyja or other prominent immortals in Norse mythology. There is nothing comparable to the Valkyries, there is no dichotomy of gods similar to the Aesir and Vanir, and there is no concept comparable to Ragnarok in the Elder Scrolls universe. The mythology of the Elder Scrolls Universe is rather unique and we can credit the talents of writers like Michael Kirkbridge for that. There really isn't a lot to compel one to play a Nord Dragonborn over any other race. After all, the first Dragonborns of the Empire weren't Nords as the line started with St. Alessia and the Imperial line of the First Imperial Empire and Martin Septim of the Second Empire and the last of the Dragonborn under the pact with Akatosh and the Amulet of Kings was an Imperial.
Hey Dagmar im talking about thre Norse pantheon not the imerial panetheion.. look up the lore before you call someone stupid

Suleku

The Grey Knight
Oh yeah dagmar my you know nothing of the different religions in the Elder Scroll universe or the different world religions in this universe

LOL man that must be some good weed.... Humans really haven't covered that part yet let alone to know if aliens are real XD do us a favor and get abducted by one

You people are pathetic and have absolutely no idea what you're talking about go fluff yourselves hey moderator please ban me this form sucks and I can't find a way to delete my account

So again go fluff yourselves you ignorant pieces of plops. You try to act all smart but in reality you're not you try to tell me about Norse Culture when you havent read the Eddas and are not a Odinist

Whoah, whoah, whoah.

All of you take a chill pill, we aren't on the forums to throw mud at eachother. Come on, forget about this one, go have fun now. Please.

except for the pantheon of gods...you know... because having multiple gods with different attributes or wtf ever....is a parallel. so there is at least one, sort of, close parallel.

Then you might as well equate Nords with ancient Greeks, Egyptians and Hindus

AS88

Staff member
e31.jpg

EDIT: Thanks for the Rep :p

ZeroDragon

Bring me my broadsword, and clear understanding.
Why would people play other than a Nord ? ....... Because, at the end of the day, it's a role playing game.

The other races help provide longevity in the game and stop us spending our hard earned money with another company until they bring DLC out, so we can spend with Bethesda again. (Maybe that's a bit cynical, but that's just me)

In the real world, the Romans didn't stay in Italy, the Vikings didn't stay in Scandinavia, the Saxons didn't stay in Germany, the Mongols didn't stay in Mongolia, there aren't many places in the world that are totally isolated.

It can be interesting to play from the visitor's point of view.

AS88

Staff member
Why would people play other than a Nord ? ....... Because, at the end of the day, it's a role playing game.

The other races help provide longevity in the game and stop us spending our hard earned money with another company until they bring DLC out, so we can spend with Bethesda again. (Maybe that's a bit cynical, but that's just me)

In the real world, the Romans didn't stay in Italy, the Vikings didn't stay in Scandinavia, the Saxons didn't stay in Germany, the Mongols didn't stay in Mongolia, there aren't many places in the world that are totally isolated.

It can be interesting to play from the visitor's point of view.

True sense from a Yorkshireman

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Hey Dagmar im talking about thre Norse pantheon not the imerial panetheion.. look up the lore before you call someone stupid
No you were clearly comparing the Norse Pantheon with the Nord Pantheon as captured in my quote of your OP. Trying to lie about it now doesn't change that fact. I didn't call you stupid but if people infer from your ignorant and immature posts that you are stupid it's certainly understandable.
And did you know that sovernguard is Valhalla?
One parallel doesn't constitute "alot" of parallels and it makes for an extremely weak argument to support the notion that there are a lot parallels (because there are not). In addition Sovngarde doesn't serve the same purpose as Valhalla does in Norse mythology. Valhalla hosts fallen Norse warriors who are there to serve as Odin's army when Raganarok occurs. There's obviously no such purpose for the dead in Sovngarde as Ragnarok isn't even a concept that exists in the Elder Scrolls universe. Sovngarde is a utopian plane of existence that serves as a reward for Nord warriors of worth as Shor not only doesn't use them as an army to combat the end of times threatened by Alduin but actually forbids them to do so.
Study up on the lore and the Eddas and Sagas you failed
If you'd actually studied the Eddas you would know that your assertions about parallels are laughable, and that your attempts to defend your false claims by pointing to a few Eddas to support one weak parallel while ignoring the dozens of other Eddas which effectively dismiss the notion that Norse mythology and the mythology of the Elder Scrolls universe and Skyrim are similar are what constitutes epic failure on your part. :rolleyes:

7806261176_7cec998734_z.jpg

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
little secret bro... don't post inflammatory posts or challenge Dagmar... but personally I think Nords are a touch to one-dimensional. Proud Warrior Race of Viking like people... How original...

and also Dagmar, I count two confirmed parallels. ahaa sorry. I'm done with this I didn't really come here to piss people off and get upset. I was just sticking up for the guy because he wasn't telling any of you what to do, he wasn't demanding you play as a Nord. He was just simply pointing out the COMPLETELY fluffING OBIVOUS fact that it makes much more sense to play as a Nord. becaause whether or not you can play as another race doesn't discount the fact that all of these games are written with a certain race in mind for tha MQ.

I'm seriously done now. Apologies if I offended any of you arrogant fanboys. Fine people. :)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts