• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

CaptMorgan72

When it comes to Daedra, you have maddened worshippers stomping around statues, performing rituals etc. etc. With most Daedra, there's blood, death, murder, torture and all that good jazz involved. Their worshippers in general tend to be a bunch of self-serving windbags who do anything for power and artifacts.

Looking at the Aedra, you have pious worshippers knelt in silent prayer within the various temples and chapels. You have priests who at least appear to genuinely care about the people around them. Everything about the Aedra is the complete opposite from the Daedra. If I were physically in Nirn, you can bet your arse that I'd be sitting in a temple dedicated to Mara over some hidden underground shrine to Molag Bal any day.

It really comes down to what kind of character you are role playing. Most characters that crave power are going to probably gravitate towards daedra worship, because the daedra will be happy to give you power in exchange for your fealty. Other characters that just want to help people and do the right thing will usually steer away from daedra and use the blessings of the Aedra.

Mr Forz

I'm helping. Mostly.
I just want my Blessing of Talos. Oh, and the Wabbajack, because I've seen worse atrocities than fixing the Mad King's mind.

For the rest I'd be interested in Daedras mostly for studying, much like Falion.

Six Gun Tarot

Power is Power
Most of my characters have steered towards Padomay/Sithis or Y'ffre.

Do those gods have an influence in Skyrim? I don't remember seeing any shrines or artifacts bearing their blessings.

More or less within the lore, Y'ffre is responsible for making the bosmer cannibalistic. And Sithis? Who needs a blessing when souls killed in his name are sent directly to him. You can worship more than the gods then shrines are given. Besides the fact that all Aedra/Daedra are in existence thanks in part to Sithis. ;)

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Sure, the Daedra are (in general) nasty pieces of work and don't really give you anything, but the Aedra are like most religions, hands off and based almost purely on faith. FAH! On the other hand, I do like the blessings at the shrines.

I just find the Daedra more fun. The Aedra are like going to church... boring! boring! boring! only there's no waffles aftewards...

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
The Nine/Eight Divines were the creation of the Imperial Empire, so their worship was spread by the Imperial Cult. Not everyone worships the Nine Divines, in Skyrim they tend to prefer their own gods, such as Lady Mara being the handmaiden of Kyne for example.

Some consider the Nine Divines to be imposter gods, weak and watered down.

You do meet a Nordic god in Skyrim though. Tsun, Nordic God of Trials against Adversity.

jarif

Sure, the Daedra are (in general) nasty pieces of work and don't really give you anything, but the Aedra are like most religions, hands off and based almost purely on faith. FAH! On the other hand, I do like the blessings at the shrines.

I just find the Daedra more fun. The Aedra are like going to church... boring! boring! boring! only there's no waffles aftewards...

You seriously need to question your existence and morals :cool:

JoeReese

[/quote]

You seriously need to question your existence and morals :cool:[/quote]

I need to find this church with waffles. Nom, nom, nom...

jarif

You seriously need to question your existence and morals :cool:[/quote]

I need to find this church with waffles. Nom, nom, nom...[/quote]

Do waffles exist in Tamriel?

Wildroses

I just replayed Waking Nightmare because I wanted to buy the Pale's house, and realised it is proof Mara can have a direct impact on Skyrim if she wants. The ritual to destroy the Skull of Corruption was basically Erandur saying: "Mara, please help me" and she did.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
I just replayed Waking Nightmare because I wanted to buy the Pale's house, and realised it is proof Mara can have a direct impact on Skyrim if she wants. The ritual to destroy the Skull of Corruption was basically Erandur saying: "Mara, please help me" and she did.
Are you sure that was not just a spell he learned from a Temple of Mara

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
The Divines do have an impact on things, they have created enchanted weapons and armor such as the Crusader relics.

Many historical records and legends point to the direct intervention of one or more gods at times of great need. Many heroic tales recount blessings of the divinity bestowed upon heroic figures who worked or quested for the good of a Deity or the Deity's temple. Some of the more powerful artifacts in the known world were originally bestowed upon their owners through such reward. It has also been reported that priests of high ranking in their temples may on occasion call upon their Deity for blessings or help in time of need. - An Overview of Gods and Worship.

Well the divines have never intervened in the lives of mortals, it's just how they operate. Daedra however exploit the weaknesses of mortals so that's why they always communicate and have a presence on Tamriel. Basically the divines trust in the faith of mortals so they stay out of their lives
what about the oblivion crisis

tx12001

Well the divines have never intervened in the lives of mortals, it's just how they operate. Daedra however exploit the weaknesses of mortals so that's why they always communicate and have a presence on Tamriel. Basically the divines trust in the faith of mortals so they stay out of their lives
My believe is that was not Akatosh, but an mere Avatar of him, The Power of the Amulet of Kings fused with Martin Septims Dragon Blood to form that Avatar, but as Guliable as many of Tamriels people are they believe it to be Akatosh as they like so many underestimate the Power of a Dragonborn

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
My believe is that was not Akatosh, but an mere Avatar of him, The Power of the Amulet of Kings fused with Martin Septims Dragon Blood to form that Avatar, but as Guliable as many of Tamriels people are they believe it to be Akatosh as they like so many underestimate the Power of a Dragonborn

Except the Dragon blood itself is a blessing and a gift from Akatosh.

tx12001

that's perhaps what they believe, it may not be the truth however, the skall believe it came from the all maker, It stated that Allesia was the first dragonborn and akatosh gave her the dragonblood but miraak was draonborn long before she was

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage

that's perhaps what they believe, it may not be the truth however, the skall believe it came from the all maker, It stated that Allesia was the first dragonborn and akatosh gave her the dragonblood but miraak was draonborn long before she was

Miraak being Dragonborn doesn't change the fact it is still a blessing from Akatosh.

It isn't stated that St. Alessia is the first Dragonborn. It states she is the first associated with the term 'Dragonborn'

Ancient Solstheim under the Dragon Cult wouldn't use the term Dragonborn.

Also who is 'they'? Skaal believe in the All-Maker, yes. Ancient Nords believed in animal gods such as the whale, fox, snake and eagle. Does that mean the Dragon blood comes from the almighty snail? The conspiracy deepens.