What do you consider cheating?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Doped

So recently i've switched from playing my console version (xbox 360) to PC. I started a new character and started playing as a pure mage. I honestly didn't feel like doing all the College's quest to get my archmage robes and magnus staff from doing the whole questline again. I then decided to just use my console to add the items to my inventory. Other things i use the console for include: fast traveling to places like High Hrothgar, it's just too long of a walk for me. I've also been known to throw myself 1000 gold when needed just because i don't feel like picking everything up from dead bodies to sell them to vendors who don;t have enough gold to buy what you have in the first place. Keep in mind i never godmode, raise my skills, or give myself perks using console codes, So would you consider this cheating?

You are not playing against anyone, so there can be no cheating. If you are happy playing that way, its your business. Just don't expect people to be impressed with your crushing of the enemy if you use mods and glitches.

The Wanderer

Young Heritic
If you spawn anything you didn't earn you are cheating.

Doped

Welp, I'm gonna restart i guess cause i feel like a cheater, and it's a reason for me to start my sneak build anyways.

Zyphur

I'm not using them to make the game easier really, just to get back to where I was on the console.

Yes you are my dear, you are spawning money because you're lazy to loot, spawning armor because you don't want to do the chain to get them, using the console to fast travel to places you haven't been yet, can't do that on Xbox!

Of course I do that stuff all the time on games that I can.

Tawneey

Doing anything with the console is cheating, or a form of it I guess. But hey, it's your playthrough, no one else's and if that makes you happy so be it, each to his own.

Slijkster

The only cheating i've done is to get extra lockpicks (several hundred of them) and to get the staff of Magnus for those post-college quests after I ditched it somewhere one time:sadface:

Nighthiker77

Advancing or resetting glitched out quests with the console isn't cheating. Nor would be changing your male mannequins to female, showracemenu to add scars/warpaint /new hair /muscle mass, or replacing unique items consumed by weapon racks.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
So recently i've switched from playing my console version (xbox 360) to PC. I started a new character and started playing as a pure mage. I honestly didn't feel like doing all the College's quest to get my archmage robes and magnus staff from doing the whole questline again. I then decided to just use my console to add the items to my inventory. Other things i use the console for include: fast traveling to places like High Hrothgar, it's just too long of a walk for me. I've also been known to throw myself 1000 gold when needed just because i don't feel like picking everything up from dead bodies to sell them to vendors who don;t have enough gold to buy what you have in the first place. Keep in mind i never godmode, raise my skills, or give myself perks using console codes, So would you consider this cheating?
Yes. But, really, who cares. As long as you're enjoying yourself, who are we to judge.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Advancing or resetting glitched out quests with the console isn't cheating. Nor would be changing your male mannequins to female, showracemenu to add scars/warpaint /new hair /muscle mass, or replacing unique items consumed by weapon racks.
While true, I don't believe the poster mentined anything about glitches. It was "I didn't feel like..." As to the male to female manniquins, that would be cool, of course, my female characters already spawn female manniquins so who really cares. If I was a male character wanting female manniquins then I would certainly be a pervert, either that or a fashion designer... wait... isn't that kind of the same thing?

Chadonraz

I'd say using any console commands is "cheating", except maybe using "tcl" if you're stuck in the terrain. Or manually advancing a broken quest, if its being broken is a consistent problem (meaning reloading from an earlier save doesn't help).
Spawning anything is "cheating", as is everything else mentioned in the OP.

I've gotten in the bad habit of using "coc" to fast travel around in Morrowind, but doing it in Skyrim is "worse" because Skyrim has an actual fast-travel system.

Anyway, as has been stated before, cheating in single-player games is more like "cheating", because you're not gaining advantage over other players.

Come to think of it, I'm glad I don't have Skyrim on PC. Using "tgm" , "coc" and "tcl" would be just too tempting.:rolleyes:

JClarke1953

I play on an XBox, and the only thing I did that might be considered cheating, I used the exploit concerning Oghma Infinium book.

Then after the Legendary skill work came out, I'm working on certain skills to make Legendary, and leaving others alone, maybe. Right now it's Smithing and Alchemy. I've gotten my Destrucion, Restoration, Conjuring at 100. My sneak and lock picking are in the 90's someplace. And I'm still considering a few of the other's, thing is, I rarely use my Enchanted Ebony Bow or Ebony Dagger.

Mainly because I don't use staff's, and have no need of Soul Gem's. the only time I ever used the, was to "refill" enchanted weapons I made for my followers. And I don't use them anymore either.

Dr. Pheel

heavily armored khajiit battlemage
well, I never use godmode, but I have used the giveitem and coc commands before, ive only used godmode in situations when I die like 30 times in one battle.

ah3nos

Whatever you do with your game is your business. If you feel like you're cheating then you are, but you're only cheating yourself. I use console commands when I first start a character in order to set it up for RP reasons. Give myself items that make sense, etc. Then I leave it alone unless I have to fix something. My RP play throughs are generally pretty hardcore so I don't feel it's cheating to start myself outside of Helgen with fur armor, a hunting bow, and 20 iron arrows for my hunter RP. It's all a matter of perspective and only you can decide if you're cheating when it is a single player game. I say do whatever you want to do as long as it's fun for you.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
Yup. All of it. And anything that involves the console.

Who cares?
Hey if you have finished the game before then using console commands is not cheating!
it's just advancing the game to an area you were already at or something

tx12001

You are not playing against anyone, so there can be no cheating. If you are happy playing that way, its your business. Just don't expect people to be impressed with your crushing of the enemy if you use mods and glitches.
Mods are not cheats, they are tweaks and features make the game better

tx12001

I'm not using them to make the game easier really, just to get back to where I was on the console.

Yes you are my dear, you are spawning money because you're lazy to loot, spawning armor because you don't want to do the chain to get them, using the console to fast travel to places you haven't been yet, can't do that on Xbox!

Of course I do that stuff all the time on games that I can.
2 lazy to loot, no he just has a great deal of respect for the dead

cantgobacknow

If you spawn anything you didn't earn you are cheating.

Define cheating? What is he cheating? Who is he cheating?

Is it cheating if we (and we all do it) take advantage of the fact that the AI for NPCs is far inferior to a real person of *AVERAGE* intelligence?

Is he not cheating his own real life if he sits in some game grinding for something which is trivially easy to achieve, but is just tediously slow to obtain?

Personally I hate using console unless its to get around known bugs in the game (and there are lots of those). But I'd not say he's cheating. It's a game, if he's having fun, he's doing it right.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts