Quest The Staff of Magnus... *Scary Voice*

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

ArtiseTvHD

Hello, Everyone I am new to skyrim and the form soo sorry for anything newb/noobish things I say in the following.

I wanted to go for a pure to purish mage using the "Breton" race (hope i spelled that right)
I joined the collage of Winterhold early, I've been luck-ish I have above avrage enchanted gear/armor (only using robes for right now.) I'm lv.7 with 230 magaka, 110 health, 100 stamina, and good skills. Now too the point.

The quest "Staff of Magnus" I'm a little scared im not ready and how long and hard ppl say it is. I've read a few walkthroughs and watched a few it looks hard for ppl lv 15+, and most used armor and swords (witch i don't) *sad face*. Most ppl just cover the final Dragon Priest Boss, i want to know about the hard monsters in the tight creepy dungeon to the boss, thats what all ways get me (also i hate how creep and long the dungeons are in skyrim they make me catastrophic in a wayway) So what im asking is..

DO YOU THINK A LV.7 PURE MAGE COULD DO THIS QUEST? Or should i hold off and lv a bit more first.
There is this guy online and on youtube that says he did it and became archmage at lv5.. Idk how tho.

Plz help. And if you know any way i could improve plz comment take note tho I'm trying for pure/purish mage.
THANKS TO ALL AND IF YOU KNOW HOW I CAN IMPROVE AS MAGE OR JUST GAME PLAY COMMENT OR LEAVE A TWITTER ID AND ILL OR U CAN CONTACT ME... Ps. Playing on Xbox 360

Shyrith

Ebonhawk
I suggest saving before starting it, and then once you're in Labirynthian (think I butchered that), make a different file to save on. See how far you can get. If you beat it, great! If you have trouble, go back to the save file of before you went in, and level some and try again.

Ice Troll

If you are Level 14+, do the Night to Remember quest and get Sanguine Rose. Then pick up a follower (preferably an unkillable one). When you take on the final battle you can use the follower and Dremora lord to run interference while you snipe (bow or magic) from a distance.

Saozig

Hippy
Yeah, this is not an easy quest for a low level character.

Once you enter Labrynthian you'll have a fight a bunch fo skeletons (easy enough) and a skeleton dragon (not as easy).

Past that there are several spectral Draugr, which can be pretty tough, a wispmother (very tough) and her wisps, and a couple of thralled wizards before you fight the dragon priest. On top of all of that, the scary voice will drain you of magicka, which is why you are given Savos' amulet to help boost your magicka. so if you are a magic-dependent character, this will make it all that much harder.

You can bring a follower on this quest. I'd recommend Marcurio, the hireling in Riften--I've tried the other student wizards but they tend to run out of magicka too quickly and then hide until they regen. Marcurio is a hardier mage, and more aggressive.

Also as Ice Troll said, you may want to level up and find Sam Guevenne at a tavern and to the drinking contest that leads to A Night To Remember. That gets you Sanguine Rose and you can conjure a Dremore Lord with it (that's an expert level conjuration spell) and bring plenty of filled soul gems to recharge it.

I've actually used but Marcurio and Saguine Rose while on this quest together. Just know if Marc hits the Dremora with a spell during a fight the Dremora will attack him. You can stop it by summoning anew Dremora, which will banish the older one immediately.

You can also use staffs, whatever you can find at your level. Those you can use when your magicka is low, but bring filled soul gems to recharge them.

OrexxerO

In addition to what the others have said thus far. I was also a pure mage when I first went in, and I also went in at a similar level. The problem you will face with the Dragon Priest himself is that he and all other dragon priests are always at level 40 I believe, its either level 40 or 50. I was a high elf mage though...I would get one shotted by his stupid thunderbolts the first time I went into that quest. I had to literally hide around a corner and constantly spawn fire atronachs to wear him down. I went after him on a new mage toon (also high elf) and at a much higher level and had a much easier time against him. I would suggest leveling up a pure mage character for awhile before attempting something like Labryinthian. You want more then novice and apprentice level magic if your a pure mage going in there.