The Game of Thrones thread! (Warning: Spoilers will be present!)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

EpicVakarian

Calibration-Master General
Hey, did you guys see the SDCC video of new castings they released? A lot of the names won't mean a lot if you haven't read the books, but some might ring bells.

Daryl Dixon

Absentee
BREAKING NEWS:
Spoiler for the whole series alert!
"Winter is coming."

Heard this from George R.R Martins editor, she's read all the books to date and picked up the hints. She also knows everything that happens.

EpicVakarian

Also the trailer apparently shows off something that either means Griff is barely in the show, or he's skipped over entirely. Which is utter plopse.

Wildroses

Oh, I'm sorry, I assumed you were one of those people who only recently picked up the books because of the popularity of the TV series. It's unreasonable of me, but I get very spiteful and bitter about those people because they won't have to wait literally over half their life the way I have for this story they got invested in to finish. Correct use of literally, in 2000 I was fifteen and read the three books out. It is now 2015 and I will be thirty soon and we are still two books away from the end.

Basically I am a female version of this guy:

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
Wowa, somehow the thread I started got dragged out of the dead :eek:

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
Oh, I'm sorry, I assumed you were one of those people who only recently picked up the books because of the popularity of the TV series. It's unreasonable of me, but I get very spiteful and bitter about those people because they won't have to wait literally over half their life the way I have for this story they got invested in to finish. Correct use of literally, in 2000 I was fifteen and read the three books out. It is now 2015 and I will be thirty soon and we are still two books away from the end.

Basically I am a female version of this guy:

A reasonable assumption to make. But yes I am one of those rare ones that actually read the books first. :) Considering getting them all out again, but maybe I'll wait for a few months. I tend to read very quickly.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
The next book "The Winds of Winter" will NOT be released in 2015... very disappointed :sadface:
There are no current plans for publication in 2015, but that doesn't mean it absolutely will not be published this year. We have no idea what phase it's in as George hasn't updated us on progress in quite awhile, so it's possible that it's further along than we think, and that it could be finalized by summer and ready to go for a winter release.

However, I think it'll be released early 2016, as a tie-in with the premiere of season 6. It might just be wishful thinking, but I suspect it's very close to being done and could be published this year, but they'll hold it back just for the purpose of a double release in the spring. It would be a big money-maker for both George and HBO.

Also the trailer apparently shows off something that either means Griff is barely in the show, or he's skipped over entirely. Which is utter pl***e.

Again, not necessarily. Varys could be misleading Tyrion, and sending him off to Dany to keep her occupied until Griff comes into play. The show is introducing several Dornish characters this season, so throwing Griff et al in at the same time would be overkill. They might mention him at the close of this season (e.g. when Varys kills the person he kills at the end of ADWD), and have him come in next season.

BUT, I read a theory the other day that I think is highly probable:

Trystane Martell is actually Aegon Targaryen, hidden in Dorne and raised by his uncle Doran under the guise of being his son. This would keep the importance of Aegon's character while consolidating a lot of extraneous narrative—Griff et al in Essos, taking Griffin's Roost and Storm's End, and joining forces with Dorne; it would also explain the show's exclusion of Arianne and Quentyn, as neither would be needed to fulfill their roles if Doran already his has Targaryen ace in the hole with Trystane. This theory makes complete sense to me, and I really hope this is the way the show goes. There's a lot more detail here if you're interested.

EpicVakarian

Hmm, not sure I like that idea. Griff, Young Griff, Arianne and Quentyn were all very interesting characters; Arianne and Griff are two of my favourites in the entire series. The whole section where Griff sails... someone (spoiler) up the Rhoyne is also something I'd particularly like to see in the show. It's great that the writers are trying to lead on the book-readers, to try and surprise them; but I think (not having any real idea what they're planning for the show, admittedly) rewriting that section would kind of lessen the impact of the discovery of who these characters actually are.
Just my thoughts, being a big Arianne fan and Griff fan, though I'm sure they'll do it perfectly well in the show. As long as it's not cut out in as messy a way as the whole Tysha segment was in the last episode, when Jaime helped Tyrion escape.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
I also love Arianne, and was livid to learn that they'd given her role to the Sand Snakes, and though I'm not a huge Quentyn fan, I was also upset to learn he wouldn't be around to chat with any dragons. But if the Trystane theory is the reason, it makes sense to have cut them both, so I'd feel a lot better about those particular changes if

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
Just wanted to leave this here:
the-bear-and-the-maiden-fair-5.png

I just started re-watching Season 4, and I forgot how awesome Bronn is, also I start to like Tywin more. I always found him an ass, but I just saw that scene with Tommen again, where he asks about what makes a good king, and well, I start to see why people like Tywin.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
I start to like Tywin more. I always found him an ass, but I just saw that scene with Tommen again, where he asks about what makes a good king, and well, I start to see why people like Tywin.
One of Tywin's best scenes. It shows that being strategic and shrewd doesn't necessarily equal villainous. Sometimes it just equals smart. Because no one can argue with his logic there.

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
ae0rBQB_460s.jpg

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
If it ever happens, it won't be until after the show is done, since it would most likely reveal Jon's true parentage.

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
If it ever happens, it won't be until after the show is done, since it would most likely reveal Jon's true parentage.

I see another reason why it should ;)

btw, it's kinda mentioned right? I don't recall a certain name though.

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
Not as far as I'm aware. It's not even been revealed in the books yet; there's only theories. Might be wrong though.

Well, you have the scene where Catelyn talks about Ned being unfaithful. When Bran already fell and Jon is about to join the Nightwatch.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts