Spoiler The Blades Hypocrisy?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

gangraad

dragonguard
offcour
him being a dragon is a rather good reason not to trust him.
why you know you character Is dragon in human form right? speak about that does dragonrend affect miraak?

the dovahkiin is a mortal with the soul of the dragon, yes, you do realise what paarthunax translate to?

Furthermore, regarding the 'the blades should take orders from me!' part. This is what I think tips the boat for the most players, it seems, whe Paarthunax ask you if you haven't felt the power of the blood in their veins he really see right through them.

For me the history of the old dragon, and the fact that I don't trust him is enough for me.

gangraad

dragonguard
That's just racism.

oh? He tells you so himself does he not? Dragons are not to be trusted, they are powerhungry and will anything to gain power, then he proceed to say 'but you can trust me!'

call it what you will.

Riven326

That's just racism.

oh? He tells you so himself does he not? Dragons are not to be trusted, they are powerhungry and will anything to gain power, then he proceed to say 'but you can trust me!'

call it what you will.
Yes, he says a dragon's will to dominate is innate, but that doesn't mean all dragons will choose that path. Paarthurnax chose differently and he didn't have to. He stood with you against Aladuin. What else could he do to gain your trust?

gangraad

dragonguard
like i've allready said, he also knew very well that he couldn't defeat alduin by himself. Perhaps he is using you?

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Technically speaking you didn't defeat Alduin either. Notice that you didn't take his soul. Even if you don't trust the Dov he says "What is better? To be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?"

You can't defeat Alduin... you can only delay his coming.

But he also says that The Blades are right not to trust him, and that his death may be better in the long run. Then he hits you with that question. Honestly the only Blades I respect died in the Oblivion Crisis.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
Technically speaking you didn't defeat Alduin either. Notice that you didn't take his soul. Even if you don't trust the Dov he says "What is better? To be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?"

yeah miraak must have stole it

gangraad

dragonguard

But he also says that The Blades are right not to trust him, and that his death may be better in the long run. Then he hits you with that question. Honestly the only Blades I respect died in the Oblivion Crisis.

sorry you're right regarding Alduin.

gangraad

dragonguard

sorry you're right regarding Alduin.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
I have no problem with executing paarthunax. If any top nazi came forth today, and said he repented and remorsed the terrible thing he had been part of, I would have no problem executing him either.

Call it petty revenge.
I call it Godwining to the point of failure and a vast overimplification of the situation. The Dragons in general and Paarthurnax in particular aren't equatable to the Nazis. The Dragons of Atmora had a peaceful benevolent relationship with the Atmoran Nedes and Nords. For whatever reason the Dragon Priests of Tamriel were much more oppressive on the people than their counterparts in Atmora which caused the people to rebel. The Dragons responded by waging war on man in the Dragon Wars. That's not exactly like the Nazis exterminating Jews, Gypsies and others in an unprovoked act of genocide simply because of their ethnicity or religious beliefs.

Paarthurnax didn't just have a change of heart. He taught the Nords to use Th'um which was instrumental in saving humanity and turning the tide of battle. Felldir the Old, Hakon One-Eye and Gormlaith Golden-Hilt were his students. But for his actions mankind might still be enslaved under the cruel yoke of the Dragon Priests.

Delphine and Esbern are arrogant and have no respect for the tenets of the Blades, chief of which is fealty to the Dragonborn. They're supposed to offer their counsel but ultimately defer to the Dragonborn. In the eyes of my characters their actions render them unfit to be Blades.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
I have no problem with executing paarthunax. If any top nazi came forth today, and said he repented and remorsed the terrible thing he had been part of, I would have no problem executing him either.

Call it petty revenge.
I call it Godwining to the point of failure and a vast overimplification of the situation. The Dragons in general and Paarthurnax in particular aren't equatable to the Nazis. The Dragons of Atmora had a peaceful benevolent relationship with the Atmoran Nedes and Nords. For whatever reason the Dragon Priests of Tamriel were much more oppressive on the people than their counterparts in Atmora which caused the people to rebel. The Dragons responded by waging war on man in the Dragon Wars. That's not exactly like the Nazis exterminating Jews, Gypsies and others in an unprovoked act of genocide simply because of their ethnicity or religious beliefs.

Paarthurnax didn't just have a change of heart. He taught the Nords to use Th'um which was instrumental in saving humanity and turning the tide of battle. Felldir the Old, Hakon One-Eye and Gormlaith Golden-Hilt were his students. But for his actions mankind might still be enslaved under the cruel yoke of the Dragon Priests.

Delphine and Esbern are arrogant and have no respect for the tenets of the Blades, chief of which is fealty to the Dragonborn. They're supposed to offer their counsel but ultimately defer to the Dragonborn. In the eyes of my characters their actions render them unfit to be Blades.
if only you could actually tell them that.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?

Call it petty revenge, I really don't care. In my opinion, the only reason Paarthunax has helped is because he couldn't deal with alduin himself.
It's Petty Revenge... Hey! You said to call it that! :) I believe in redemption. You know - kill 'em all and let G** sort 'em out. They can be redeemed there. I don't want any part of it. :)

Thorn

In the Hist we trust
Some great opinions on this thread so far...but even if Paarthurnax is guilty in the past, is not Odahviing guilty in the present as he is Alduin's right hand so to speak?