• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

caiteydark54

Does anybody have an idea of which province TES VI will be held in? I'm personally hoping for Elsweyr since the Khajiit race is my favorite. Although, I have heard a rumor that it is going to be in Skyrim.

Cordelia

Global Moderator
Staff member
There are constantly rumors about where the next Elder Scrolls will be, with major guesses centering around Elsweyr, Valenwood, Blackmarsh, and even Hammerfell. Basically all the locations that haven't yet had a game located in their borders, but have major playable races. Bethesda has been silent on all speculation, so at the moment that's all there is; speculation.

As soon as Bethesda has confirmed anything of note, you'll likely see it here very shortly after.

Ancano

High Justiciar
An even better question might be, "Should there be another Elder Scrolls?"

Skyrim was good in many ways, it had a few issues however the story line and game engine was pretty good. Had quite a bit of interest and intrigue going on in Skyrim.

*Sigh* It's going to be a challenge to match that anywhere else - Skyrim, the land, the region, the people, made that story work.

Perhaps it's best to... not think about TES VI and be thankful that Skyrim came out so well, just be happy with that.

Cordelia

Global Moderator
Staff member
Then again, the same could be said of Oblivion, which had (and still has) a huge, dedicated following. Those who love it will always love it, and always compare other titles to it. They feel many things in Skyrim fell short of what made Oblivion shine, but still enjoyed Skyrim for what it brought to the table.

That's why most people are more often called fans of The Elder Scrolls, not Skyrim, or Oblivion, or Morrowind alone.

You can easily be a fan of one over another, or just a fan of one and hate all the others, but the majority of fans are Elder Scrolls supporters, so they're in it for the series and world as a whole, not just the glory and gratification of one game.

Honestly, the location and content of the next title doesn't matter; everyone will still buy it and play it because they're dedicated to the series. But they enjoy speculating for that same reason. Areas they've heard about in other titles titillate and intrigue, and they spend hours imagining what a game set in those areas might be like, not because Skyrim, Oblivion, or Morrowind took the cake, but because there's still so much world to explore, and so much history to go with it.

The major obstacle at the moment is figuring out what Bethesda will consider canon coming out of the Civil War, and how that will affect Tamriel going forward.

Ancano

High Justiciar
Then again, the same could be said of Oblivion, which had (and still has) a huge, dedicated following. Those who love it will always love it, and always compare other titles to it. They feel many things in Skyrim fell short of what made Oblivion shine, but still enjoyed Skyrim for what it brought to the table.

That's why most people are more often called fans of The Elder Scrolls, not Skyrim, or Oblivion, or Morrowind alone.

You can easily be a fan of one over another, or just a fan of one and hate all the others, but the majority of fans are Elder Scrolls supporters, so they're in it for the series and world as a whole, not just the glory and gratification of one game.

Honestly, the location and content of the next title doesn't matter; everyone will still buy it and play it because they're dedicated to the series. But they enjoy speculating for that same reason. Areas they've heard about in other titles titillate and intrigue, and they spend hours imagining what a game set in those areas might be like, not because Skyrim, Oblivion, or Morrowind took the cake, but because there's still so much world to explore, and so much history to go with it.

The major obstacle at the moment is figuring out what Bethesda will consider canon coming out of the Civil War, and how that will affect Tamriel going forward.

Ok, so you agree with me then. Other TES games probably will never compare to the glory and self-gratification of playing Skyrim and anything else won't share said qualities because the location and content won't be compatible, resulting in loyal fans just buying it just because.

Makes sense to me. Like many other video games that no one cares about.

*Except* The one game, 'Skyrim', as even you can see, isn't another TES game. It's glory and gratifying experience is unique to it -alone- and is something Oblivion never shared and no other TES game ever shared either.

In fact, in many ways Skyrim is so dynamic, it's almost like a break in the series, so that Civil War won't matter. Why? Because it's the Civil War of Skyrim. Kinda like, "The Battle of Hoover Damm" in New Vegas. New Vegas was the odd ball too. People in Fallout 4 couldn't care beans about whatever happened in New Vegas and the Civil War in Skyrim is no different because like the Fallout universe, Tamriel is a big place.

And whatever happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.

Last edited:

Cordelia

Global Moderator
Staff member
Nnnn ... no. I actually wasn't agreeing with you at all.

I was pointing out that you can have fans of a single title in a series, and you can have series fans. If you're a fan of one title, you may never like any of the other titles. If you're a fan of the series, you may buy and enjoy every title to varying degrees. You can also be in the middle, where you like some of the titles, and not others, but you generally keep an eye on the series, because there's always potential.

Skyrim isn't the end-all-be-all. It's fantastic, and it sits at the top of my list with a handful of other games as my all-time favorites, but that doesn't mean I assume everything after this is downhill for Bethesda and The Elder Scrolls. I think that's an incredibly pessimistic view to have, regardless of how many other companies and titles may have given you cause to believe it. I see no reason to assume future titles in this series will be doomed just because you personally feel this title has reached a pinnacle.

I actually don't agree with you at all. I don't think that Skyrim being as good as it is means there should be no attempt at an Elder Scrolls VI. I think we should, of course, appreciate Skyrim is as good as it is, but I don't think that's justification to assume nothing better can be made by the same team. I think if anyone feels future titles don't match up to the "glory and self-gratification" of Skyrim, it comes down to the individual and what they use as a metric when evaluating the games against each other in the first place. I think established fans will buy the next title, and I think it will pull in new fans just as Skyrim did, but for its own merits.

Skyrim's differences to other Elder Scrolls titles, to me, simply illustrates that the team is willing and capable of breaking out of their own established molds to create something new and interesting, and I believe them capable of continuing to do the same going forward.

I honestly see no point in feeding pessimism going forward and sighing over how "nothing will ever live up to the glory". Maybe for you nothing will, but that is far from establishing a reason why no one should bother trying.

Ancano

High Justiciar
Nnnn ... no. I actually wasn't agreeing with you at all.

I was pointing out that you can have fans of a single title in a series, and you can have series fans. If you're a fan of one title, you may never like any of the other titles. If you're a fan of the series, you may buy and enjoy every title to varying degrees. You can also be in the middle, where you like some of the titles, and not others, but you generally keep an eye on the series, because there's always potential.

Skyrim isn't the end-all-be-all. It's fantastic, and it sits at the top of my list with a handful of other games as my all-time favorites, but that doesn't mean I assume everything after this is downhill for Bethesda and The Elder Scrolls. I think that's an incredibly pessimistic view to have, regardless of how many other companies and titles may have given you cause to believe it. I see no reason to assume future titles in this series will be doomed just because you personally feel this title has reached a pinnacle.

I actually don't agree with you at all. I don't think that Skyrim being as good as it is means there should be no attempt at an Elder Scrolls VI. I think we should, of course, appreciate Skyrim is as good as it is, but I don't think that's justification to assume nothing better can be made by the same team. I think if anyone feels future titles don't match up to the "glory and self-gratification" of Skyrim, it comes down to the individual and what they use as a metric when evaluating the games against each other in the first place. I think established fans will buy the next title, and I think it will pull in new fans just as Skyrim did, but for its own merits.

Skyrim's differences to other Elder Scrolls titles, to me, simply illustrates that the team is willing and capable of breaking out of their own established molds to create something new and interesting, and I believe them capable of continuing to do the same going forward.

I honestly see no point in feeding pessimism going forward and sighing over how "nothing will ever live up to the glory". Maybe for you nothing will, but that is far from establishing a reason why no one should bother trying.

Skyrim was so good, even Angry Joe couldn't find anything wrong with it. And he's the prick that you want to be in your response(s). You try real hard, but not like he does. (The differences between Skyrim and Oblivion are like this, in case me phrasing it like that draws a picture for you)

For some of us, it's not enough to just... do a half-arse job and release something for it's Title sake. I mean, if you're comfortable with that I can understand it. Just don't ask me to respect it.

Cordelia

Global Moderator
Staff member
Firstly, I'm going to ask you to try not to derail someone else's thread with personal insults, such as saying I'm attempting to be a "prick" in my response.

Secondly, the overall point here is everything comes down to a matter of opinion. Many people will agree with you, many people won't. I, personally, don't, and I feel that your points don't justify me deciding no future Elder Scrolls title will be crap by comparison.

Ancano

High Justiciar
Firstly, I'm going to ask you to try not to derail someone else's thread with personal insults, such as saying I'm attempting to be a "prick" in my response.

Secondly, the overall point here is everything comes down to a matter of opinion. Many people will agree with you, many people won't. I, personally, don't, and I feel that your points don't justify me deciding no future Elder Scrolls title will be crap by comparison.

Ok so some people will agree, others won't. That's what I'm saying, saying things like that is a given. It's offensive to me for people to restate the obvious - back to me. My reply was to the original poster and I am eager to here what they have to say.

If I wanted to argue or debate with you and friends, I know where to find ya. :D

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
I am of the belief that Elder Scrolls VI, where ever it may take place, will be the greatest game ever conceived.

I'm sure the setting will be either Hammerfell or Elsweyr. Here's why: Oblivion foreshadowed Skyrim by introducing much Nordic lore and references to Skyrim the province. In Skyrim the game, Argonians and Bosmer don't seem to have very big roles which in my line of reasoning may rule out Black Marsh and Valenwood. The Khajiit with their caravans and relationship dynamics with the cities of Skyrim are largely featured, complete with dialog options referencing their homeland. The Redguards, specifically the Alik'r, are also featured complete with lore references and the character Saadia who's story might well be included within the lore of an ES game taking place in Hammerfell.

Latest posts