PC Staff of soul trapping?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
I found exactly one such staff during my travels, and I was stupid enough to sell it because I later found a unique artifact staff that said it was supposed to 'calm lesser creatures and trap souls'. I naturally assumed the soul trap effect would work on any creature or NPC, but I was wrong.. I think the biggest soul it could trap was common. Didn't work on giants, mammoths, NPCs etc.

I could just enchant a weapon and use it to trap souls, but I don't want to lug around another heavy 2-hander just for that purpose, and I don't want to level my 1-handed skill because I'm not using it at all with this character, so daggers etc aren't an option. So does anyone know where I could find or buy another staff of soul trapping? I'd be much obliged!

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
I don't know if I've ever run across this particular staff in either of my playthroughs... I always carried an extra bow with this enchantment. That unique staff you're talking about is Halldir's Staff. As far as finding another, that seems like random loot, not sure if you could guarantee another drop somewhere.

Why not craft/enchant a Long Bow? It's only 5 weight and the arrows weigh nothing. Unless you don't want to level up Archery?

You could also go with the Soul Trap skill in the Conjuration school... but I don't know if you're opposed to magic at all. It's cumbersone when teamed with a 2H.

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
Hmm, so there might be no hope of finding another one. Damn it, why did I have to sell it? :sadface: Yes, Halldir's staff it was.. useless twig, won't even steal a giant's soul!

I could consider the longbow. I've also avoided archery and magic, though, but somehow archery feels like the least of those evils. Or I could just suck it up and carry a cheap soul stealing 2-handed sword like I did in the early game. Still, that would mean 18 kgs of extra weight in my pack..

Doomy

I just do a dagger. When the last enemy is down on health, just polish him off.

Doark

I give my follower a weapon with soul trap and every empty soul gem...
I did that & it worked great but the novelty wore off quick -
Had to keep taking it back to charge it, then give it back and you have to keep giving them empty gems and taking the filled gems.
Followers use no discretion about what they kill so you end up with better gems filled with petty souls...

If you want to build Enchanting, get the Black Star and a Soultrap weapon. Every person you kill fills the Star, then use the Star to recharge the weapon.