• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

snowbleat

how did hircine get his name? the word is typically used to refer to goats and things relating to them, but it doesn't seem like hircine has any particular connection to goats...

Starseed

how did hircine get his name? the word is typically used to refer to goats and things relating to them, but it doesn't seem like hircine has any particular connection to goats...
Its not about him being a "goat" It's about what he represents "The Hunt - of a STAG not a goat" This is what he says:

"
Dialogue
Ill Met by Moonlight
Upon killing the White Stag:

"Well met, hunter."

Are you Hircine? "I am the spirit of the hunt, just one glimpse of the glorious stalker that your kind calls Hircine."
What would you ask of me? "Your fealty is precious to me. I will make good use of it. You bear my ring."
Will you remove the curse from this ring? "I may consider it. But you must first do a service for my glory."
"The one who stole it has fled to what he thinks is his sanctuary. Just as a bear climbs a tree to escape the hunt, but only ends up trapping himself. Seek out this rogue shifter. Tear the skin from his body, and make it an offering to me."

It shall be done as you ask. "Fly, my hunter. There are others who vie for my favor. A bit of competition. Don't dally while the prey flees."
He's done me no wrong. I won't kill him. "There is no retribution in the hunt. It is not vengeance I seek, but the blood course of a living hunt. There are others who would gladly accept my favor. They will hunt him while you delay. Your choice."
Didn't I just kill you? "And skillfully, too. I've been watching you for ages, it seems. You have the makings of a fine hunter. You may even be my champion. Perhaps."
Upon killing Sinding:

"You've done well, hunter."

I did as you asked. "And found my favor. That skin will serve you well, child. Look more closely at it. My glories shall protect you from all this world's grievances. Good hunting."
Upon sparing Sinding and killing the hunters:

"Well met again, Hunter."

I failed to bring down Sinding. "Not a failure, my servant."
I defy you and your vile tasks. "So you may think."
"By bringing down my other Hunters, you turned the chase inside out. And they were no base prey. You continue to amuse and impress. Go forth, with my blessing.""

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Probably has to do with appearance and a play on words. He's based off of Herne the Hunter from our own mythology.

Interesting fact is that several names of the Divines are easter eggs from early Elder Scrolls games

• Akatosh was named after beta tester Lawrence Szydlowski, who liked to sign "also known as the old Smaug himself" (the first letter of each word forming the letters "Akatosh").
  • Arkay was named after one of the original beta testers, R. K. Deutsch, who died in 1998.
  • Dibella was named after beta tester Mary Jo DiBella.
  • Julianos was named after Julian Lefay, project leader of Daggerfall and several other Elder Scrolls games.
  • Mara was possibly named after beta tester Marilyn Wassermann.
  • Stendarr was named after beta tester Daniel Starr.
  • Zenithar was named after Stephen "Zen" Zepp, an Arena beta tester

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts