• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Should I kill Paarthurnax?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ethan Terry

Nord since Morrowind
That once-baddie dragon is a problem to the Blades and they wont work with me until he is dead. Should I kill him or screw the blades? I think i have OCD cuz i hate seeing quests left un-touched in my menu.

EddieA96

Hey, it's all down to personal preference so all I can do is guide you, I'll just basically tell you the outcomes of each. So. If you were to not kill Paarthonax you would have no reward from Paarthonaax he would not acknowledge the fact your keeping him alive at all. There is no way of getting rid of the quest, the only reason for you wanting to keep him alive is because you have a soft spot for him. However if you choose to end Paarthonax you will be granted more quests from the Blades with one including rebuilding the faction by recruiting new members. You can also go on Dragon hunts with Delphine and Esbern. To conclude, In my opinion it is a no brainer. Kill Paarthonax but the decision rests with you, its your game. Hope this helps Thanks, Eddie

Ethan Terry

Nord since Morrowind
yeah i do have a soft spot for him, i hate that i do that! Ah you should see how hard playing Mass Effect series was!

EddieA96

I'm not gonna lie man, when I decided to kill him I stood there at the top of the throat of the world looking at him, and I did have second thoughts for a moment, but I wanted to do the Blades questa desperately so I did it and let me tell you, when you have a soft spot for him, killing him is hard because, *Spoiler* He doesn't fight back so he's helplessly perching there while you pummel him... :sadface: Arrr Man Mass Effect looks nice but I can't say I'm an owner of it unfortunately. Eddie.

Ethan Terry

Nord since Morrowind
ha if you got somewhat attached to Mr.P that little time you spent with him dont go near Mass Effect, man I tell you I never cry but third one made me cry a little, not bawling but tear up....

EddieA96

I'll definitely keep that in mind! thanks! When you've made a decision on Paarthonax, post again. Will be good to hear what you do. :D

BFP53

I havent killed him either i kinda like him and i dont care for the blades, but i do like the graybeards after all they taught me a lot.

Ethan Terry

Nord since Morrowind
oh crap i forgot about the greybeards! with they not talk to me if i kill him? If so i'd have to get the rest of the word locations from them before I kill poor Paarthurnax

PelagiusIV

I killed him. The blades are a legendary faction, and I couldn't wait to do more quest's with them. Plus, you won't be welcome back at Sky Haven Temple until you kill him, and that place is awesome in my opinion. I did feel a little bad killing him as well, he was very helpful to me after all. But to me there's more positives then negatives for his death.

EddieA96

I killed him. The blades are a legendary faction, and I couldn't wait to do more quest's with them. Plus, you won't be welcome back at Sky Haven Temple until you kill him, and that place is awesome in my opinion. I did feel a little bad killing him as well, he was very helpful to me after all. But to me there's more positives then negatives for his death.

I definitely agree with you there are more positives for his death than negatives.

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
oh crap i forgot about the greybeards! with they not talk to me if i kill him? If so i'd have to get the rest of the word locations from them before I kill poor Paarthurnax

The grey beards will not talk to you if you do.

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
Paarthurnax did more for me than Delphine ever did. And was nicer about it. She makes me do a dungeon crawl for the Horn of Jurgen for nothing just to see if she can trust me. Depending on my attitude when talking to her afterward, she will tell me she could've killed me just for walking in there. o_O

Then, even though Paarthurnax has done nothing but sit on top of High Hrothgar for centuries (possibly also meditating on his past actions and trying to redeem himself), to continue getting her "aid" I have to kill him. If she wasn't essential, she'd be dead and I'd be wearing some spiffy new blades armor!

Keeping him alive allows continued help locating word walls and access to the 3 Meditations on Words of Power.

>Fus (stagger 25% less, foes stagger 25% more)
>Feim (25% more health regen while ethereal)
>Yol (25% damage bonus with Fire Breath Shout)

I see no significant benefit to killing him. The only pluses are an increase in my critical hit against dragons (for 5 days), a 10% reduction in damage from dragons (given once), and the opportunity to go on dragon hunting missions. Which I can technically already do.

redrkt

Premium Member
After finishing Dragonslayer I went back to see the Greybeards and they were no where to be found, am going to go look again but not sure.

Shadowbane

Premium Member
if you kill him, you get the blades faction which you can make your followers join (a place to store some of your favorite 3 followers) you get a perk that gives you a permanent 25% resistance to damage inflicted by dragon melee attacks. keep him alive and you get a place to meditate on words of power. which gives you buffs to some your shouts. I havent done the quest yet but when i do, im going to get the knock back buff, kill him. and start recruiting my best followers

Rex Prime

Premium Airtcle Writer
There is a mod that gives you a new option, to tell them that you are the Dragonborn and they are sworn to obey you, and then they will apologize and let you do the other blade quests, also the greybeards will fus ro dah you from the whatever was the name of the place they stay in and send you down to die....
here is a link if you want this mod:
The Paarthurnax Fix at Skyrim Nexus - Skyrim Mods and community

xaraan

I've not killed him in any of a dozen play throughs.

Dragon born should be leading this rebuilt blades group, not following it. Out of everything in the game you become leader of, the blades is the one that makes the most sense yet doesn't happen. You do all the work, it's your temple that they couldn't have gotten into without you, you bring the followers. Delphine is a bitch. I love what the blades could be, but hate what they are.

The greybeards and parth trained you, gave you words and knowledge, parth let's you meditate on words and get active powers. And most of all the greybeards are right when they said 'maybe if the blades hadn't hunted the dragons to extinction we would have allies in the fight against Alduin'. So once you kill parth you better hope that these two idiots trying to run blades don't find out about the one you can call to fight for you, you'll have to kill him as well. Personally it sounds stupid to give YOUR people over to those two and giving up even more control.

I think Bethesda really screwed up with lack of options in what to do with the blades. In reality you don't need those two. I'd have killed them when they told me to kill parth. Like I said its my temple and I can go out on dragon hunts with my own blades I recruit. Or I should be able to if they had programmed the game with less linear options (something they brag about with their games).

Rex Prime

Premium Airtcle Writer
I Totally Agree with you, thankfully the mod that i posted a link for would help up all, since it lets you to tell the Blades that you are the Dragonborn and they should follow your orders, and that will fix everything