Nord Refugee Character Diary - Hrisskar III

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

BIGwooly

~ 5th of Evening Star, 4E 227 ~

I hiked out yesterday to find a suitable tree to chop down, and spent the morning doing so. I spent the rest of the afternoon dragging three sections of the tree back to our cabin on the hill. It sounds funny to me to say 'our' cabin, when it's just me now. But it really is, and always will be, our cabin.

The early morning light is beautiful right now. My mother loved this time of the day. She always said every morning is a fresh start. I suppose I should try to remember that. Perhaps this morning is the fresh start I need.

Today I'm finishing off the last of my venison from a kill a few weeks ago. I have salmon jerky that I can eat, but I much prefer the taste of elk and deer. So with any luck I'll finish this day with a fresh kill to go with my fresh start. I haven't seen any game near our cabin in some time now, so I'll probably need to head east again like I did for my last kill. A bear is known to roam in that area, though. I'll need to stay alert.

BIGwooly

~ 5th of Evening Star, 4E 227 ~

My first shot of the day was high. I was perfectly hidden in a cluster of trees and I spotted a fox in the distance. It was completely unaware of my presence. The shot was a long one, and I'm not surprised I missed, but it wasn't how I wanted to start the morning. I couldn't find the arrow and I had wasted a poison as well.

Not too long before that I had come across a troll. Fortunately for me I saw him before he saw me. It's not the first time I've seen a troll, but it's the first one I've seen in this area. The local bear is bad enough news.

A bit later I had my second opportunity, this time with the prey I was really hunting for .. an elk. I managed to miss him as well, although it was another difficult shot. There was a slight hill in between us and all I could see of him was his head. I aimed too low this time and put my poisoned arrow into the dirt. Another arrow and another poison lost.

Some time later, I navigated my way carefully down a steep hillside. To my left I could see a pair of wolves hanging out in the shade of some trees. To my right I knew the troll was lurking. But I made it down into a small valley and by a stroke of luck I spotted another elk, this one in full view and with his back to me. Perfect.

I crept into some trees and settled in for the shot. After tipping an arrowhead with poison I drank one of my archery potions. I wouldn't normally do this, even though a single arrow isn't likely to kill an elk. But I wanted to make sure this elk didn't have a chance to run, not with a troll lurking in the nearby woods.

I had invested a lot into this shot, two potions, and I needed it to count. I drew back and focused intensely, making a minor correction or two before I let the string go. With absolute beauty the arrow glided through the air and struck it's mark perfectly. The elk fell dead were it had been standing. A perfect kill. My father would have been proud to see it.

I spent the next two hours cleaning the carcass, pulling the hide from the body and the meat from the bones. I finished by removing the antlers. And that's when I heard the noise behind me. For a brief moment I though it was a bear, but before I even turned around I knew what it was. The horrible growling of a troll is unmistakable.

A quick glimpse of it's bulky figure crashing through the trees towards me was all I saw before I sprinted off. I left my prize behind. There was no time to gather it up. Ahead of me was a rocky hillside, and I sprinted for it and jumped up onto the rocks. I could hear the troll behind me, each of it's heavy footsteps getting closer and closer as I scrambled up the rocks to find a vantage point where I could not be reached.

Once I felt secure I turned around to face the troll, who was lumbering back and forth just below me, enraged I had escaped. But now I was stuck. The troll wasn't likely going to leave me be, and evening was approaching. The last thing I wanted to do was be stuck out in the woods at night with the sounds of a angry troll in my ears.

I decided I had to try and kill it, but my first arrow sent it fleeing into the trees. Puzzled, I slipped down off the rocks as quietly as I could a few minutes later. I was about to venture out away from the rocks when I spotted the troll wandering back over. He had lost sight of me, but he wasn't looking to leave the area without a search.

Now I was in a really bad position. I had climbed down to a spot where I was hidden, but just for the moment, and there was no way for me to climb back up to safety. I was between a troll and a hard place, if I might make light of a deadly situation.

I had to make a move of some kind, or the troll was going to have me trapped and have me for dinner. So I stood up and ran out from my spot and just managed to climb back up the rocks before he got to me. But now I was back where I started.

With no other obvious option, I began to try to kill the troll again. But once again he fled into the woods after a single arrow struck him. I tried to maneuver on the rocks to find an angle to use my bow again, but I couldn't see him through the trees. So I was forced to come down from the rocks to lure him in. And the process repeated.

Finally, after one such attempt I saw him run off and hide himself behind a tree. It seemed like odd behavior, if not smart. And that's when it hit me. Trolls are able to regenerate their health. There were not enough arrows on my back to take this troll down. My only option was to flee. But the dead elk, hours of hard work, was also in my sight. It pained me to consider leaving it behind.

The light was fading quickly now, and I had to make a decision. I decided to try and sneak off the rocks in the waning light and hope to Talos that the troll didn't see me. This appeared to work, and I was able to collect the meat, hide and antlers.

The walk back to our cabin on the hill was nerve-wracking. I kept thinking I could hear the troll behind me, stalking me, but I'm sure now it was all my imagination. I only hope that he's not in my dreams tonight.

BIGwooly

~ 7th of Evening Star, 4E 227 ~

After spending all day yesterday sitting and laboring on new arrows, I was looking forward to getting out on my legs today. I used up my iron supply making arrows so I figured I'd go look for some new ore. It was a perfect day to be out in the woods. The sun was bright and strong, and the clouds were sparse and light. A nice breeze on my skin kept me cool as I hiked around the hills. The happy sounds of singing birds kept me company.

It couldn't have been a better day. And then I came across an atronach of the flame variety. I was as surprised to see it as it was to see me I think. The area I was in was an area I didn't frequent often, but I'd never seen anything like this there before. My father and I had hiked on that very trail many times and the most we ever saw was a wolf or two. But not today. Today I found myself running own the mountain as fast as my legs would carry me.

When I felt I was out of sight I tucked myself into a depression in the rocks and quietly tried to catch my breath. A minute went by. Then another. Nervously, I peered around the edge of the rocks and there was the atronach, still searching for me. And it saw me, and I was running again.

Needless to say I made sure I evaded the elemental fiend on the second try. And it turned out to be good fortune for me, as I came across a vein of iron ore no more than ten paces farther. I worked until early afternoon extracting the mineral and headed back home.

Now it's late afternoon and I'm sitting atop the rocky peak above our cabin, a copy of "The Beggar Prince" in my lap. This was always one of my favorite spots to read. Possibly because this was as far as mother would let me take the books from our cabin. What she didn't know was that sometimes I would sneak them off to the lake with me when I went fishing. I feel bad about that now.

Well, enough of this for now. I have reading to do.

BIGwooly

Glad to see this is back.

Thanks! I felt like the right idea came to mind and it was time to pursue it. That said, I thought for sure that damn troll was going to kill me and I had just gotten started after spending weeks preparing the character! lol

BIGwooly

Never thought I'd be posting in this thread again lol
I'm excited to see how this turns ouy

Honestly, when Hrisskar's journey ended I thought the same thing. A part of me thought I might come back to it someday, but I really liked how it ended and didn't want to randomly have Hrisskar start writing again. He was basically moving on with his life, so it made no sense for him to keep journaling. Then this idea hit me of him having a son, etc. After a month or two of mulling it over, I gave it the green light. d;-)

BIGwooly

~ 8th of Evening Star, 4E 227 ~

This morning I woke up with no real plan for the day. There was nothing pressing that had to be done. So I hung around our cabin for a bit, just enjoying the good weather. But when I'm not doing much, the memories of my mother and father flood into my head. After an hour or so I decide to head down to the plains and see if I could get a fox pelt or two.

I lucked out and spotted a fox on the road the runs along the grasslands. He moved as I let my arrow go, and the resulting noise of the iron head hitting the old cobblestones sent him scurrying up the road. I debated what to do, whether to try another arrow as he ran away or pursue him on foot. But in the second or two that I took to think this over a large sabre cat appeared out of nowhere and ran the fox down.

Feeling fortunate that I hadn't stumbled across the sabre cat myself, I headed in the opposite direction. An hour or so later I was drawing a line on an unsuspecting rabbit, when a large elk stepped into view. I quickly adjusted my aim just slightly and let the arrow go. I already had the second arrow notched as the first pierced the elk's hide. My second shot was off a bit, and I missed slightly left. By now the wounded elk was bounding away, and I had to sprint ten paces to close the distance a bit. I didn't want to get into a drawn out pursuit, so I quickly notched a third arrow and let it fly. The shot was not an easy one by any means, despite the range being relatively short. It struck the elk perfectly in the spine and ended the chase.

I spent the afternoon cleaning the elk, and then headed home. It felt good to be productive, and any day you can bag an elk is a good day indeed.

BIGwooly

~ 9th of Evening Star, 4E 227 ~

Last night I had a dream. My father and I were hiking together high in the mountains above Falkreath. It was like our feet weren't touching the ground, though. Were were gliding effortlessly along the jagged ridges, like eagles on land. Suddenly the weather changed and there was a violent snowstorm that enveloped us. I began to lose sight of my father, and no matter how hard I struggled to keep up with him I could only watch as his figure slowly disappeared into the swirling blizzard. And then the storm cleared and it was bright and sunny, and I was alone on top of the highest peak. I could see all of Skyrim it felt like. There was a peace on me, but I felt alone at the same time. Then I awoke.

The dream left me not wanting to do much today, and not wanting to be alone. So I gathered up my bow and my quivers and walked to the lake. I followed the shoreline, and couldn't help but notice the abundance of deer and elk. I will have to visit this area on my next hunting trip. The shoreline led me to a large rock outcrop, on the other side of which was a small island. I skirted the rocks and waded out to the island and was greeted by Azzan.

Azzan is a hunter from my mother's tribe, who relocated from the plains to this island after the incident at Talking Stone, where my mother's tribe was nearly decimated and scattered into the wind afterwards. Azzan came to live with my mother and father right after the incident, before I was even born. My father was the one who took Azzan the island that he now calls home. I remember my father taking me to visit Azzan on many occasions. He had apparently lived on this island as well, as his journal confirms for me.

Azzan has been a bit like a father figure for me for the past few months. He knows my struggle, but respects my desire to live on my own and take care of myself. After my dream last night I was in need of some company, so I spent the morning and afternoon with Azzan, talking about years past and casting lines for fish. I faired well on the fishing today, catching a longfin, a betty and a spadetail. The betty will be especially useful for creating a powerful poison.

I left Azzan as the evening approached. He assured me I could come to him any time I needed some company, and I thanked him for that. Next time I visit him I'll bring him some of my salmon jerky. He enjoys fish far more than myself anyways.

BIGwooly

~ 12th of Evening Star, 4E 227 ~

It seems I've run out of nightshade. I didn't realize this, and I have an idea to help me with hunting game. When mixed together with butterfly wings I can create a poison that will sap the victim's breath and tire them much more quickly. This would be perfect for hunting deer, which are notorious for their ability to lead hunters on long chases.

The tricky part is finding the nightshade. Butterfly wings are easy enough to come by. Nightshade typically grows in areas where things have died, and often these areas are not entirely safe. I know of one such area in the northern plains. As soon as I finish my breakfast I'll be heading there. My mother pointed it out once, off in the distance. She warned me not to venture there but also used the location as an example of where to find nightshade. I've only come across it randomly in the past.

But I'd like to make several samples of this poison, and I'll need a good supply of nightshade for that. It sounds less appealing to wander the hills for several days than it does to visit this old tomb. Nightshade grows in the light, so it's not like I'll have to go inside.

Tayal

Master Assassin
Great to see a return!

BIGwooly

~ 12th of Evening Star, 4E 227 ~

A butterfly nearly got me killed today. I spent the better part of the day hiking down the pass and across the plains. A number of wolves harassed me but none of them posed a serious threat. All in all the trip to the tomb was fairly smooth.

I wasn't exactly sure what I was looking for. My mother had only pointed out the location in the distance, and I only remember seeing some stones on a hilltop. She had told me the tomb was at the foot of the hill. So I didn't know quite what to look for, but it was obvious when I came across it.

Around mid-afternoon I came across old stone pillars and and old stone structure with a number of marked graves out front, at the foot of the hill. This had to be it. I had planned to carefully scout the area before venturing closer, but right away I spotted a skeleton drawing a sword who had obviously already spotted me. With nothing but sun in the sky it would have been nearly impossible to have approached the tomb more stealthily.

With one skeleton running towards me and me drawing back my bowstring, I noticed a second skeleton pulling it's own bow from it's back. I quickly took aim and shattered the first skeleton with my first shot. Glancing back up to where the second had been I realized it was gone, and must be circling to flank me. Before I could react, I spotted a third skeleton, who had also now spotted me and was drawing a sword for my undoing.

Without taking a step I notched a second arrow and lined up the shot. It was a long shot, but the skeleton was charging straight at me, which of course makes it much easier to hit your target. Just as the first, this one also fell apart as my arrow ripped through it's bones. With the threat eliminated I spun to my right to check my flank, and sure enough the archer skeleton was flanking me with his bow ready to fire. I stepped to the side and just managed to dodge his first arrow. Then I set my own to the string and returned the favor, dismantling the ancient undead.

Without a second thought I readied a fourth arrow and scanned the area for any other skeletons, but there were none. The only movement I saw was that of butterflies flitting around the graves. Still, I proceeded into the site cautiously, with my bow out and ready just in case.

Along the stone wall I noticed a larger casket standing upright, with a large chest next to it. My initial curiosity was to go take a look inside the chest, but I wasn't here to steal from the dead, and for that matter ... why anger the gods by disturbing the dead? So I set about to my task of collecting nightshade. There were nightshade plants growing everywhere, and I was excited to find such a good supply without having to wander the mountains for several days. The butterflies I was able to collected were an added bonus, as I need them for the potion as well. The trip couldn't have worked out any better.

Until I was ready to leave. I was walking away, with hopes of getting back to our cabin before nightfall, when I spotted one more butterfly I had missed before. It's yellow wings practically called out to me, and I couldn't resist. After all, it's not that difficult to catch a butterfly ... usually.

But this one flitted back and forth closer and closer to the standing casket as I tried to catch it. I didn't even notice where I was walking, as my gaze was completely skyward. But then I heard the cracking of an ancient seal, and the rumbling of heavy stone being moved aside and slamming to the ground. I stopped dead in my tracks and laid my eyes on what looked to be a very powerful and very irritated draugr. I had seen these a few times before, while with my father, but never alone. To say I was scared would be an understatement.

I began to backpedal away from it, and it readied an axe in it's right hand. It's left hand began to glow white and I knew from one of Azzan's stories that this was frost magic. The draugr proved my memory correct, and blasted me with a cold like I've never felt before. I felt my blood freezing in it's veins, and the pain was quite intense. I also noticed my movement was being slowed by the magic, and the draugr was closing in on me.

I had an arrow ready and let it go ... wildly ... missing by a good amount to the left of the ancient monster. I readied and loosed another as the draugr flanked to my right, and again I missed. The pain was overtaking me, and I realized I needed to give myself an advantage quickly. I always carry a few resistance potions when I travel longer distances, and thankfully I had a frost resistance potion in my satchel. I quickly drank the small mixture down, and then quickly set another arrow in my bow. This one struck home, and disrupted the spell long enough for me to create a little more distance between the two of us.

I sent a fourth arrow into the air and missed badly, several feet over the draugr's head. I scrambled backwards and looked for a health potion as the draugr blasted me with it's frost magic again. I was hurting badly, and this fight was not going well at all. With my health somewhat renewed I knew I needed to focus and make my arrows count or I was going to die. So the next several arrows were all on target, and several were placed well enough that they made the draugr falter in his advance. It was almost on top of me when finally one of my arrows dropped it to the ground, not dead, but nearly so. I notched one last arrow and finished the fight.

It took me until past the setting of the sun to return to our cabin. My armor is torn up very badly, and will need to be replaced. All things considered, the trip was a great success, and if nothing else I've learned a valuable lesson ... stay calm in combat and never leave our cabin unprepared for the unexpected.

BIGwooly

~ 15th of Evening Star, 4E 227 ~

This morning I set out with the rain falling on my back. The sky was darkened by a storm, with only flashes of lightning offering me a better view of the path ahead. I was headed back to the plains. My leather supply ran out two days ago as I was replacing all of my hide armor. I need more to improve on the boots and bracers I made. I'd have gone out yesterday but I stayed in due to the rain, and elected to make my lingering stamina poisons instead, along with a number of other potions.

But the rain hadn't let up and today was as good a day as any to get myself wet. So I headed out to the plains in search of elk and deer and fox and wolf. I spotted an elk early in the day, and carefully tracked it to a perfect ambush point. I was above it slightly, on a small hill, and it was unaware of my presence as i poison the arrow and notched it. The first shot was right on target, as it should have been considering the ease of it. To my surprise the elk fell dead and I wasn't forced to chase it. A poison was wasted but it felt good to take an elk with one arrow finally, with no assistance from other potions. I wish my father could have seen it.

The sun broke through the clouds right after this, and it was like the gods themselves were praising my kill. I was forced to kill a nearby wolf moments later, who was possibly drawn to the sound of the elk dying. The rest of the afternoon was spent cleaning both animals and packing up their pelt and hide.

I'd write a bit more but I'm in a bit of a hurry. A man stopped me on the road a short bit ago, which is one reason I don't travel on the roads. My father taught me that lesson many times over, so he wouldn't be so proud of my laziness post-hunt. But this man was in genuine need, or so it seems. His friends went into a cave right near our cabin, a cave I've never been inside myself. My father and mother both warned me plenty to stay out of this cave, and I never really needed further reason beyond that. I've heard noises from inside it at night, and I'm sure it's best to stay out.

But this poor soul has friends inside, and he was begging for my help to rescue them. It doesn't really seem like something I should be involved with, but who else is this man going to ask? There's no one else nearby really, and evening has already settled in.

So I'm cutting this entry short. I must grab the supplies I think I'll need and a few more arrows to replace the three I lost today. I wish I'd had time to finish with my armor, but it will have to do for now. Talos guide me tonight.

BIGwooly

~ 16th of Evening Star, 4E 227 ~

The walk up to the cavern, in the dark no less, was intimidating. The fellow was with me, Valdr was his name, but it wasn't easing my fears. He and his friends were bear hunters, and I knew that meant there would be a bear inside. I've managed to avoid bears so far in my life, so it felt quite unnerving and unusual to be willingly confronting one.

We stepped inside and I was immediately wishing I'd grabbed a torch. My father took me into a few caves over the years, and always stressed the importance of scouting for traps. Bandits and outlaws love to use caves to hide out in, and they love to defend their lairs with traps. I didn't expect to find bandits in this cave, given that I had never seen any coming or going from it, but you can't be too careful. A trap could sit for a hundred years and wait for you to come along so it can put a spear through your chest.

I let my eyes adjust to the darkness, and began see the scene in front of me. Nearby, on the ground, lay the corpse of one of Valdr's comrades. Just beyond him was a much larger body. A bear. As far as I could tell it was dead, but I could also hear another one farther up inside the cave. The sound of it's growling and snorting made my blood freeze.

But before I could put too much focus on that I noticed something else. Directly across from my, up on a ledge, I could see a figure of some sort with a faint glow about it. It took me a minute to realize I was looking at a spriggan. Spriggans are very formidable foes. In addition to their various magical abilities they can also call on animals to aid them in their fight. I knew this meant that the moment we attacked, we would also have a bear involved. It was not a good scenario.

But I we were committed at this point. I didn't know what else to do so I poisoned an arrow with a health poison and then drank down one of my archery mixtures. From the shadows I sent the first arrow flying, and to my utter dismay it missed. I was just slightly off. Now the spriggan was alerted and unhurt. This was a horrible start to the fight.

I notched another arrow as fast as I could and let it fly, adjusting my aim as the spriggan began to move. This one struck home, and it was about that time that a very large bear came rumbling angrily into view. I hit the spriggan again as the bear charged for us. My heart was dropping from my chest at the sight of it, and knowing we were in a tight passage it was not looking good. The spriggan was also running our way. I continued to send arrows after the spriggan, since it was already hurting. I hoped to kill it quickly and then focus on the bear next.

The problem with spriggans is that they have the ability to heal themselves. And as I dropped it to the ground and had it nearly dead, the giant bear got in between us and I couldn't finish the spriggan off. Valdr struck at the bear with his blade while I stuck it with arrows, watching as the spriggan healed itself and stood back to its feet. The fighting continued, with Valdr and I focusing our efforts on the bear now. But the spriggan found a way around the bear and began to attack me directly. The pain was intense, and my brand new hide armor was badly damaged.

A health potion kept me in the fight, and eventually I had the spriggan down on it's knees again, but once again I was unable to finish it off. It healed itself and the fighting continued. The tight passageway offer no room to maneuver and I realized I had made a critical mistake. I would have been better off charging into the room at the start of the fight to give myself space to move around. But it was too late now. We were stuck.

And so the fight went, until I finally was able to put the spriggan down for good, and focus on helping Valdr with the bear. I was lucky that the bear hadn't attacked me once. It likely would have killed me with a swipe or two of it's paw. For whatever reason, it was unleashing it's fury on Valdr, and that surely saved my life. When we finally killed it I was so engrossed in the fight that I managed to shoot another pair of arrows into it, not realizing it was dead.

Together Valdr and I moved through the cavern, dispatching another pair of spriggans. They were somewhat easier fights considering we didn't also have a bear to deal with. Valdr thanked me for helping him recover the bodies of his friends and gifted me a special dagger of his. It looks a lot like my own dagger, but this one carries an enchantment to assist one in dealing critical strikes. I only use my dagger for skinning game and gutting fish, but it was a very nice gesture. And it's possible it may come in handy some day.

With the cavern clear of dangers, I decided to have a look around. It wasn't likely I'd come back any time soon, as another bear will probably find this place at some point and call it home. So I took a look around and came across a large chest hidden up a small path. Inside I found some gold, some old dwarven arrows which were just beautiful, a set of scaled bracers, and a curiously-shaped orb.

Not knowing what to make of the object, I decided to lift it out of the chest. It wasn't very heavy, but the moment my hands were on it a voice spoke to me. It was as if the cavern itself was speaking to me. It was the voice of a daedric prince, Meridia, and she was instructing me that I would cleanse her temple of a foul darkness. Every fiber of me wanted to put the beacon, as she referred to it, back in the chest and leave the cave. But I couldn't. Some part of me simply couldn't let it go. It had a hold on me, as much as her voice did. How does one refuse the wishes of a daedric prince?

Valdr showed me on my old map where Mt. Kilkreath was located, which is where her temple is. It's near Solitude. I've never been that far north, and the thought of setting out on such an adventure has me scared to death. Why wouldn't she choose someone older? Why not a great warrior? Why me?

I have so many questions and concerns in my head right now. I can't really focus. I've been up all night fighting in a dank cavern as well. I'll need to get some rest and then come to terms with what to do about this beacon.

BIGwooly

~ 16th of Evening Star, 4E 227 ~

After getting a bit of rest early this morning, I went back into the cave to have another look around. I was fairly nervous last night, even after killing the spriggans and the bear. I didn't much feel like hanging around any longer. But I awoke around noon with the thought there might be something more valuable inside that I had missed. I'm certain the spriggans and bears have claimed a fair number of souls in there over the years. So I decided to have another .. quick look.

The first thing I found was a bear trap. I had somehow missed it last night, thank Talos. That would have been the end of my writings in my father's journal for sure. I carefully unarmed the trap and continue through the cave, and did the same with no less than three additional traps. I found nothing else of use really, aside from some mushrooms that are somewhat rare. I did take a dip in the pool that's in the inner cavern, and under the surface I found myself looking at one of the previous souls that had attempted to navigate the cave. Whether he was killed by a bear or a spriggan I couldn't tell. He was just a pile of bones on the rocky bottom. A large warhammer and shield were there with him, and I thought it best to leave all of it be.

The rest of the day was spent reworking my damaged armor and creating new pieces. It came out fairly well, although I could still make some improvements. But I've run out of hide and leather and will have to go hunt for more. I'm going to need to assemble some more arrows soon as well. I'll do that in a day or two after I get some more wood cut. First I need some animal hides.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts