Nord Refugee Character Diary - Hrisskar III

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

DovahCap

The one cube to rule them all.
I totally encourage you to do that! I think you'll really enjoy playing this way. And besides .. I'm not a meaniepoo. d;-p

Meaniepoos are bad.

Like the Thalmor. And bandits. They're meaniepoos.

Wildroses

I can't remember if it took me three or four days, but I just finished reading all the entries. Man, that was epic. All those poor dead horsies. It was when Hrisskar kept failing and running and spending weeks in inns that I found the journal most entertaining. The fight with the man that was impervious to everything and wouldn't die that I found the most hilarious. While I don't want it to end, I'm part of me also thinks that Hrisskar's story has ended. That is an excellent place and entry to end it on.

You have almost, but not quite, convinced me to try a playstyle like that. I already have a policy of sleeping at regular intervals and not fast travelling, which I like (although I occassionally break that rule). But I already carry so much that limiting my weight even more might be tricky for me. But it's getting rid of the HUD which is most bothering me. I really depend on that HUD so badly. I'm not sure I could play without it.

AS88

Staff member
But I already carry so much that limiting my weight even more might be tricky for me. But it's getting rid of the HUD which is most bothering me. I really depend on that HUD so badly. I'm not sure I could play without it.

Trust me, it's worth it.

I was the same as you before, always carrying 260+ at all times, mostly stuff I thought I "needed," amassing thousands of septims in a few days, and always using the HUD to monitor how close I was to dying, etc.

Playing with carry restrictions totally changed the game for me, I try to only carry one set of armour at a time - more if I'm heading to a merchant to sell it, but only as much as my character would likely be able to carry. Also, planning your trip to include rest breaks at an inn or deciding not to go out plundering because it's already 2pm and it'd be midnight before I get back really, really improves the immersion and gives your character a personality.

Character 1: "So what if it's after midday already, I'll be back before I know it, and if not, I'll kill EVERYTHING in my path" OR
Character 2: "I'm staying here until this storm passes, all sorts of creatures could be hiding out there in this weather" OR
Character 3: "Maybe I'll toss that mercenary a bag full of coins and see if he'll watch my back while we find somewhere to camp. Suppose I'll have to split the loot with him, though"
-for example(s)

The biggest thing for me is the lack of crosshair (times I wished I played on PC instead of PS3 #413535), it makes archery damn-near impossible unless you're particularly skilful in your own right. Spellcasters benefit in immersion terms too, not all spells hit, after all.

All in all, I couldn't thank BIGwooly enough for totally giving the game a new lease of life for me, except by following his lead and attempting to write a great journal of my own (for which I have a few ideas ;) )

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
Has anyone considered making a 'Hrisskar's Aftermath' mod? I.e. mod the questlines and guilds that Hrisskar has done so that they cannot be done by the player, have been completed, and do not show up in the quest journal; change the first day of a new playthrough to a year or two after Hrisskar killed Alduin and remove the ability to become Dragonborn; remove the intro at Helgen, and drop the occasional Hrisskar reference throughout the game (Find his journals, find notes concerning him, maybe even find a few voice actors who would be willing to do some dialogue and remarks about Hrisskar?). I would love to play that! :D

ShoCh

Haha - I just thought of a moment in this journal that really made me laugh.

It was when Belrand had been hired by Hrisskar who, after a while, commented that he was sick of Belrand always saying the same joke when asked to carry something 'do I get to keep it...?'. I had Belrand with my character around this time as well and was also becoming sick of hearing his one joke repertoire. If it had of been real life, I would have said 'geez - get some new material whydoncha!'. :)

I know that every follower only had one reaction when asked to carry something but some are more irritating than others (like Lydia's sarcastic and passive aggressive 'I am swooorn to carry your burdens'). Out of all the followers, I liked Stenvar the most because he seemed to have a lot of different things to say and they were always entertaining.

BIGwooly

I can't remember if it took me three or four days, but I just finished reading all the entries. Man, that was epic. All those poor dead horsies. It was when Hrisskar kept failing and running and spending weeks in inns that I found the journal most entertaining. The fight with the man that was impervious to everything and wouldn't die that I found the most hilarious. While I don't want it to end, I'm part of me also thinks that Hrisskar's story has ended. That is an excellent place and entry to end it on.

You have almost, but not quite, convinced me to try a playstyle like that. I already have a policy of sleeping at regular intervals and not fast travelling, which I like (although I occassionally break that rule). But I already carry so much that limiting my weight even more might be tricky for me. But it's getting rid of the HUD which is most bothering me. I really depend on that HUD so badly. I'm not sure I could play without it.

Why not just try it? If you don't like it after a few days, adjust it or just stop playing that way. That's the best thing about a game like this. You can play it however you want. d;-)

I'm impressed you read this whole thing in 3 or 4 days. Now that is dedication! Glad you enjoyed it. I hadn't actually planned to end the journal but it just sort of worked out that way, much like everything else in the journal. It just felt right to end there. Then again, I never really decided that it had ended. So maybe there will be more of Hrisskar down the road someday. d;-)

Neriad13

Premium Member
You know, I would love to hear what everyone's favorite moments in the journal were.

The last series of entries - Skuldafn, the defeat of Alduin and the quiet, peaceful conclusion. That was a challenging, draining series of fights and then such a nice ending.

The part with the guy who refused to die was also utterly hilarious. "Is he a god?" Hrisskar said. :D

BIGwooly

The last series of entries - Skuldafn, the defeat of Alduin and the quiet, peaceful conclusion. That was a challenging, draining series of fights and then such a nice ending.

The part with the guy who refused to die was also utterly hilarious. "Is he a god?" Hrisskar said. :D

Nice. Why wouldn't that bastard die?!?!? d;-)

I think my favorite entry was when Hrisskar had to spend the night clinging to a cliff face. That whole 2 day span was so epic. That and the shot with the bow on the elk that was so far it was ridiculous, but you kind of had to see it maybe, heheh.

Neriad13

Premium Member
Nice. Why wouldn't that bastard die?!?!? d;-)

I think my favorite entry was when Hrisskar had to spend the night clinging to a cliff face. That whole 2 day span was so epic. That and the shot with the bow on the elk that was so far it was ridiculous, but you kind of had to see it maybe, heheh.

If I recall correctly, he was a Master Vampire, but that's still insane. :p

A while ago I read this one story on the forums about a guy who had a run-in with an impossible bandit chief. I have no idea what difficulty the guy was playing on, but this chief took damage from absolutely nothing. Whatever he threw at her, she ate like it was nothing. And then, as the fight moved along down a hallway, he discovered that bear traps could hurt her. So he lured her over them, again and again, for an hour or more, until she was dead at his feet. It was like he'd slain a glitch itself.

Stranger

This journal was so amazing that I made an account just to tell you that! I've even started a character with similar restrictions (though I don't know if I will journal....maybe, because it seems fun!). Thanks for the awesomeness.

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
This journal was so amazing that I made an account just to tell you that! I've even started a character with similar restrictions (though I don't know if I will journal....maybe, because it seems fun!). Thanks for the awesomeness.

You really should journal. Hrisskar is what got me to do it :p

Stranger

Oh, and I have two favorite parts of this one that come to mind immediately (and one only halfway counts). The first is the night on the cliff. The second is this OOC exchange:
Random person: I found Morrowind Hrisskar! I found Morrowind Hrisskar! He's REAL! *posts pic*
BIGWooly: GRANDPA!

ShadowWanderer

I just wanted you to know that reading this in combination with your hardcore playstyle thread has completely gotten me back into this game! I got bored with Skyrim a while back when my character got too overpowered too quickly, and this is exactly what I need to get myself back into it.

Thanks for everything, and keep up the awesomeness!

P.S. My journal is going to be at http://skyrimforum.com/blog/shadowwanderer.23191/ if anyone is interested. I'd love some feedback/advice, since this is my first attempt at roleplaying!

A necrobump sure, but a necrobump of the best thread on the Skyrim forums is acceptable. I forgot how much I loved reading this and waiting for the next entry. If you ask me, when journals were really popular was when this forum was at its greatest. Thanks BigWooly.

I'd say that since most of the more regular posters on here, including BIGWooly himself haven't been here in a while, and even the entries on the main journal page they link to are late 2012, most people are blogging them nowadays. That or they aren't writing them anymore at all.
Frankly, I just found this journal and have started reading several more. Personally, as well written as some are, this appears to be the only one that has an ending. As tempted as I am to blog a story or journal myself now, I wont do it unless it has an ending. lol

I'd say that since most of the more regular posters on here, including BIGWooly himself haven't been here in a while, and even the entries on the main journal page they link to are late 2012, most people are blogging them nowadays. That or they aren't writing them anymore at all.
Frankly, I just found this journal and have started reading several more. Personally, as well written as some are, this appears to be the only one that has an ending. As tempted as I am to blog a story or journal myself now, I wont do it unless it has an ending. lol
It's pretty tough to write an ending for such a long-winded story. Most of the others I know of are abandoned or are still going.

BIGwooly

Sorry I haven't been around guys. Had some major life issues with family and so forth, and starting a new business etc. I'm still hoping to continue my other journal, but really glad to hear how much everyone enjoyed this one as well. It was a lot of fun, if not also a lot of work, lol. d;-)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts