• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

i K33L n0085

Destroyer Devour Master
So Skyrim added a new and awesome thing to the Elder Scrolls, dragon shouts.
It is unlikely that they will be in the next game, but it will probably have another gimmick to replace this one.
So I ask you, what do you think it will be?

Declando

Dwarvenborn
Maybe it would enter some form of aggro mode, like Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

That would be pretty epic, for The Elder Scrolls at least.

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
It's impossible to say without knowing the plot or even the setting of the next Elder Scrolls game. Or if they will even continue with the idea at all.

The Champion of Cyrodiil didn't have elite prisoner powers (Craft a shiv from nearly any item once a day! The fumbled effect from soap reduced 95%!)

The Nerevarine didn't have dark.. elf.. messiah powers. I'm not even sure what that would be. All I know is he's the only one out of his whole little circle of old friends that ended up -without- god powers.

We'll just have to wait and see what they do. I liked the -idea- of the Thu'um. But in practice a lot of them were just useless. The question is, will Bethesda continue with the idea or will they leave it as something unique to Skyrim.

osheao

shouts aren't a 'gimmick.'

they aren't added at the expense of something else. they aren't irrelevant gameplay additions.

voice-actors are a gimmick. graphics are a gimmick.

shouts aren't a 'gimmick.'

they aren't added at the expense of something else. they aren't irrelevant gameplay additions.

voice-actors are a gimmick. graphics are a gimmick.
Voice actors and Graphics are not gimmicks. They are requirements.

Shouts are because they are used only in this game. They were the special something within the game to make it different from the other games.

osheao

Voice actors and Graphics are not gimmicks. They are requirements.

Shouts are because they are used only in this game. They were the special something within the game to make it different from the other games.

sure, up is down. black is white.

lol. you couldn't be more logically wrong.

shouts can be argued as a gimmick, but, obviously, the motivation would need to be known.

yes, voice acting and graphics, as well.

sure, up is down. black is white.

lol. you couldn't be more logically wrong.

shouts can be argued as a gimmick, but, obviously, the motivation would need to be known.

yes, voice acting and graphics, as well.
Skyrim would not be Skyrim if it had no voice actors or graphics. Graphics give us the ability to look at things. Voice actors speak. If we had no vision or sound, we would be playing a freaking text adventure.

osheao

shouts are the story. if you want to argue that shouts are gimmicks then that's your starting point.

shouts as pure gimmicks isn't even an able topic of debate.

shouts do not replace anything.

lol. voice acting is PURE gimmick. it's not needed, at all.

edit: text adventure and a proper journal/npc dialogue are not gimmicks, lol.

osheao

Reread your post, and realize how ridiculous you sound:

Shouts aren't needed. They're a novel and ingenious device to attract attention. *ahem* Gimmick *ahem*

you just answered it yourself: novel and ingenious.

shouts can be gimmicks, but, since, they replace nothing they are not.

voice acting replaces content. replaces depth. takes away resources.
the lack of spellmaking has no argument privilege here.

shouts aren't novel. obviously.

edit: if BETHSOFT needed years to develop shouts, then, my point is moot. as in, the stormcloaks would be fools to not attack the exposed imperial neck.

osheao

Are you trying to be unreasonable? Shouts are novel. They're new. Novel means new. True story.

That aside, for something to be a gimmick, it doesn't need to replace anything.

Voice acting replaces nothing. To bring spell making into this is ridiculous and irrelevant.

the mechanics of shouts is the heart.
shouts, at heart, are spells.
the shouts can be replaced.
novelty isn't even real within the game.

voice acting has and will be an obvious detractor from game content.

do you think the journal and map system has been improved since morrowind?

shouts as a story element is novel, fine. i thought you were speaking beyond that trivial shiite.

DarkEastwood

Your beyond convincing. Your not listening. You're literally speaking false facts. Your views on voice acting are strange, as you're the only person I know that opposes it. I'm guessing Morrowind is your thing then. Voice acting adds immersion, excitement, and gives emotion to NPC's. The fact that you complain about this is absurd.

osheao

the fact that you think i oppose voice acting is proof.

i do not. it does not replace content. as perks don't, in the attribute debate.

morrowind has many flaws. i wish morrowind and skyrim and oblivion would all improve. newvegas and fallout3 were right there as access.

voice acting has replaced a proper journal and map and directions and in-game mechanics.
the npc repetitive dialogue is pure laziness or greed on beth's part: initial greeting vs text dialogue vs voice acting.

voice acting is absolutely worthless in and of itself. its entire motivation is too sell, which, proves my initial point.

morrowind, text, journals and rpg gamers can live with no voice acting.

DarkEastwood

I have reason why it has worth. And it was reason enough to replace pure text. And I'm not entirely sure what you meant right there about the fallout games. You'll need to rephrase. I don't see how voice acting replaced a proper journal and map, as well as direction and in-game mechanics. The NPC's have a rather wide range of dialogue. I mean seriously, go on UESP and read all the dialogue guards have. It's not surprising to me, seeing as I hardly hear the same thing twice. That also negates your attack on Bethesda. And I honestly have no idea where you're going with the 'replacing content' debate, seeing as we clarified that has nothing to do with anything.

osheao

I have reason why it has worth. And it was reason enough to replace pure text. And I'm not entirely sure what you meant right there about the fallout games. You'll need to rephrase. I don't see how voice acting replaced a proper journal and map, as well as direction and in-game mechanics. The NPC's have a rather wide range of dialogue. I mean seriously, go on UEng twice. That also negates your attack on Bethesda. And I honestly have no idea where you're going with the 'replacing content' debate, seeing as we clarified that has nothing to do with anything.

my fault: i give blame to the assinine lack of proper journal options. i assign it to the lack of journal and stupid npc comments. i'm thinking money and resources and bethsoft. i might be wrong.

replacement is how i feel about the entire game of skyrim, probably.

here is my justification: morrowind journal awesome. can't turn off auto-mark in skyrim. score = regression. morrowind wins.

somthing like that. voice acting in oblivion was supposedly horrid. i could have and did not care less. it's impact on the game was nothing. period. it was all me and my mind.