My Experience with Skyrim's Law

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

treasurehunter

Lol.... Whut?
In the world of Skyrim, the average player can be found assassinating someone from a darkened corner or slaughtering a village of citizens. If it's not that, you'll probably find them creeping around closed shops or lifting items out of pockets. Eventually, the player will find convenience in paying their fine; and this creates their character's criminal record.
When I looked into the general stats of my newest character — an Orc named Gharsh — and saw she had gained no bounty in her first 20 levels, I had to stop in awe of my accomplishment.
Then it struck me (as I am a quiet, law-abiding citizen with a paranoia for getting into trouble) that throughout my few characters, I became frustrated when I realized that my reputation was very low and no one trusted me. My other two characters have managed to gain a bounty for some assaults and thievery and began to bribe guards not to care. I began to pay attention to what I was doing differently with my Orc than my previous characters.
First off, when it came to talking to people, persuasion was more than my friend — it was my lover. I found that when it came to brawling, intimidating, or persuading, the only time you keep within the NPC's good graces is by persuading what you want out of them. Think of it in real life as someone buttering you up with compliments and flattery. The person will still like you even though you got what you wanted. With that said, keeping a good reputation was very difficult as I had to resort to beserking some poor souls into giving me what I wanted. Certain NPCs would gain respect from you for being able to beat them. A few are even willing to follow you, but they aren't usually connected to a quest that can avoid violence.
When it came to stealing, I took three things before I reached level 20: iron ingots and weapons from Markarth's forge and Anise's letter. Both times resulted in me fighting a dragon and then hearing, "There you are! We're here to teach you a lesson."
So there I was, ferociously beating off thugs and a dragon, who took said thugs as allies and did not burn them, until finally the guards decided to save me (only after the flames touched them, of course). Needless to say, I crawled out of the battles wondering who I royally pissed off... until I saw the notes. These thugs will wait levels after you've stolen something, so you forget who you've offended and why. So I vowed not to steal.
Well, after my oath, I no longer had trouble with any Thugs. I moved on and began doing more menial tasks for random NPCs. I found that, as an Orc, measuring your reputation was very easy as the guards went from saying, "What are you doing, Orc?" to "You look tired, the (local inn) has rooms for rent."
Also, a lot of the NPCs around Skyrim gave me plenty of gifts, ranging from food to potions to weapons; and it was all very helpful, if not profitable.
Being allowed into their homes after completing their tasks is what I enjoyed more, though. I would see them to their house in the evening and help myself to whatever alcohol they had, as well as spare coin in drawers. I made sure to get in the good graces of every inn I came across just for the free wine.
Now, as a thief, it would simply be a matter of going into a home while the owner slept and taking whatever you wanted. But, you run the risk of the NPC waking up and bringing every guard to your attention.
Think about who you're stealing from. If they own a shop, they'll shadow you everywhere you go. And I know some people like to complain about the NPC getting stuck in the doorway. Example: the Argonian in Riften simply sweeps the floor while I go comfortably sleep in my room. I used to Fus Ro Dah him out of the way when I was a thief and just bribe my way out the door. I do not deny the perks Skyrim's criminal life has to offer.
It also is true certain items, basically only accessible through means of crime, would prove useful and worthwhile. However, think about every hero: it's hard to stay on the good side because it's so easy to show everyone your power. They were also tempted by weapons of mass destruction, but they worked to stop it instead of utilize it.
It may not help that many of these NPCs may not show the gratitude you want after risking your neck to retrieve their trinkets. It's the subtle ways sometimes that they'll thank you. Look around their houses and help yourself to more gold and/or potions.
I like to have NPCs greet me warmly... or as warmly as they can. I also like not having the alchemist stand over me whenever I decide to brew up some potions, or having the innkeeper watch me sleep.
Overall, my character's privacy is the greatest reward I've received in the game for being a good guy. I no longer have to Fus Ro Dah as much as I used to. It was a small surprise when I realized it was my shouting that offended them so much.
It's a grand adventure, being a law-abiding citizen in Skyrim. The gameplay changes a lot as stealing the things you needed is no longer an option, hence making you earn your belongings in a more legitimate way. There's a small sense of pride behind knowing your reward was properly received.
On a final note, I find my stories about Skyrim sound less sadistic; as I am no longer explaining how my character runs around shouting at people and bribing guards not to care.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
I've joined the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood with each of the characters I've played so far, but in the new game I started yesterday, I vowed not to. After reading this, I think I'll go one step further and not break any laws (or at least, try my absolute best not to). It'll be tough, but should be an interesting change!

WinterStorm

Daedric prince of Winter
Personally, i either like to be COMPLETLY good (e.g. steal nothing, kill nothing, not even hurt the chicken in riverwood), or COMPLETELY bad.
The character i am playing on most now is a Wood Elf thief, i joined the thieves guild as soon as i finished at Helgen, resulting in being killed by the first two bandits you meet in the ratway.
When i finally got in the guild, i went and stole everything i could lay my hands on, which lead to me using telekinesis to float a loaf of bread to me to steal while standing on the roof of Jorrvaskar(bad spelling possibility). I wouldn't hesitate to steal every single honningbrew mead from the meadrey if i could (i did and got 275+ bottles).
But, my other character, a True Nord, never stole, exept for the time when i accidently clicked on a carrot when i was acually trying to talk to someone, i also have every septim obtained legally, by means of slaying bandit after dragon after forswarn.

Neriad13

Premium Member
It's strange - I'm coming at the game's law system from the exact opposite direction. Every character I've had, I've played as a strictly law-abiding citizen. I'm a law-abiding citizen myself, enjoy getting on people's good sides IRL as much as in game life and do get a great sense of accomplishment when people allow me into their homes too. But...as a thief, an entirely different game opens up. I'm greatly looking forward to abandoning my good-guy persona and doing a playthrough as a desperate werewolf-assassin.

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
I have managed to get on everyone's good side while robbing the whole town blind. Mostly do to my well honed thievery and assassination skills. But I have had my ugly run ins with the law. Like when, during a duel with a dragon in the middle of Solitude, I shot an arrow and killed a guard. Now as any self-respecting assassin would do, I proceeded to kill every guard who dared attack me on my way out of Haafingar, committing good deeds and finishing quests all the way of course. And upon entering Hjaalmarch I turned around and said those three words that strike fear into all who hear them. FUS. RO. DAH. And with that I turned around and ran until I lost them, calmly traveled to the thieves guild, collected my bounty by selling the loot required and paid off my rather insane bounty. So I know what it is like to be on the wrong side of the Skyrim Law Enforcement. It is not fun to go from the right side to the wrong side.

It's strange - I'm coming at the game's law system from the exact opposite direction. Every character I've had, I've played as a strictly law-abiding citizen. I'm a law-abiding citizen myself, enjoy getting on people's good sides IRL as much as in game life and do get a great sense of accomplishment when people allow me into their homes too. But...as a thief, an entirely different game opens up. I'm greatly looking forward to abandoning my good-guy persona and doing a playthrough as a desperate werewolf-assassin.
ahaha I had the same mindset- I used to always be a good character, however as soon as dawnguard hits pc that's changing... I am going to become a Vampire Lord who steals what he wants, and tortures and kills who he wants for the thrill of the hunt :p

Clau

The Fateless One
For my next play through, I would like to play the role of an honorable nord knight. I'll avoid several Daedric quests but will try out Pieces of the Past and Waking Nightmare wherein I will not be seduced by the Daedra and retain honor.

Torok

I am a mix of a good/bad guy/girl. Always have been, possibly always will be. (I cannot keep my paws off of a bag of coins just SITTING on a table for me to take it...) I'll admit, I have a problem with Septims. I even stole from a beggar... After I gave him a coin, I took it back, he can curse me to Oblivion all he wants, those two Septims are MINE!
It's not just Septims I have a problem with, it's potions... A nice red health potion just sitting there saying "When no one's looking take me, I want to be with you."
It's not just stealing I have a problem with, it's murder... That fool out in Whiterun preaching about Talos... I've wanted to kill that guy even before I got Skyrim. I don't remember a time where I didn't Fus Ro Dah him to his death, or shoot him in the side with an arrow or (More recently) electrocute him with my lightning.
Then there was those Redguard warriors, harassing innocent women... I helped them once, I will never do it again. I killed them today after I saw them harassing a naked woman in the plains of Whiterun. I don't care if I get a bounty, they will die...
The Stormcloaks, I can't believe I ever joined them just because I wanted revenge on the Empire, now I want to kill every last Stormcloak out there. One of those Stormcloak kills I made forced me into a divorce with Torvar... The hard way... That hurt worse than any bounty.

It's tough to be a sinless Dovahkiin in Skyrim... It really is...

kriz44

I take the role in Skyrim as a total opposite, i see it as a way to indulge myself in the things that i can't(or won't) do in real life. Wether it be a Berserking Orc, a Stealthy Nightingale, or a Dark Necromancer. Either way, i have yet to play Skyrim as a goody good citizen...(Maybe I'll try it on next playthrough.)

One of the ONLY quests I ever second guess myself about doing is the :::spoiler alert :::: boethiah quest line, leading someone up to that alter to be killed. It just seems really plopsty to have someone trust you and follow you only to kill them. Whenever i do choose to do it, I always choose a bad person to use. Like Cicero or a blade for hire that just looks like he's probably led a bad life lol

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
Despite the fact that Skyrim takes place on another planet, I always compare it to the dark ages. Because that is exactly what it reminds me of. Back then, laws weren't exactly fair either. So I kind of "let go" of the ideal that NPC's should have the same rights as I do. Different world, different time. There is no amnesty international or WikiLeaks there. There is no such thing as rights or social constructions. I think you also have to place it in perspective.

Pálrún

Being my first place through, I've gotten a little dismayed recently by the number of Daedric quests (not all are so bad though) and other questionable acts one is expected to perform.. I thought I was going to be a hero, but they almost make it difficult!
I decided "failing" a quest in some cases was better than, say, becoming a cannibal, lol.

I suppose I'll save that dark stuff for another play-through, but I actually kinda prefer being a good guy. I was curious about the Dark Brotherhood, but now I wish I'd killed Astrid and gone that route. Ah well.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts