Just finished main quest. Need help.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

doc108

Hey guys it's me the newbie who posted here a couple of days ago. I have some more questions. So I just defeated Alduin and completed the destruction of the Stormcloak Rebellion but now I feel a bit aimless. Not sure what to do. Could anyone point me in the right direction.

PS nothing about the guilds and colleges and brotherhoods and companions. Already got those.
Thanks.

xShadow Shockx

Zeymah-Se-Vokuns
Well, there are a couple of things to do, depending on how you want to play the game...

The first, and my opinion, best option, is to continue playing the game. There are plenty (and I do mean plenty) of side quests that can be done, places to be found, things to be killed, etc. The beautiful thing about Skyrim and other Role-Playing Games is that there's really no end to them, especially seeing as radiant quests such as taking side-jobs from the Thieves Guild, will literally never stop being available. Then, when you take into account the addition of expansion packs, you've got even more to do! That's the beauty of it.

However, if continuing to explore and do side-quests doesn't interest you, the only other things that you could do would be to A) start the game over with a new character, new race / gender, new role. etc. or B) not play the game anymore. It really depends on what kind of gamer you are, and is purely personal preference. I find that the more you get into coming up with your character (i.e. giving them a background story, choosing their role in the world, their motivation, attitude, etc) the more fun you're going to have, and the more you'll get into the game for the long haul.

I hope this has been of some help to you, and I do hope you'll continue to enjoy the beautiful game that is Skyrim. :)

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
Shadow is right. Keep playing. Role-Play a new character and create a backstory. Is he/she an assassin whose family was killed by the Imperials? Make up stories and just play them out.

Also, looking for The Dragon Priests Masks is a good, challenging adventure.

xShadow Shockx

Zeymah-Se-Vokuns
A perfect place for you to draw some inspiration for a new character, should you choose to make one, and should you need some inspiration, is the thread found by clicking this link. It is full of character stories that people have come up with, and many of them (like mine [not to brag]) are very detailed, and very well thought out.

Again, whatever you decide to do is your choice, but taking the time to plan out a character is something that can make your experience much, much more enjoyable, and lengthy. Typically, you would start with the background and shape the character around that. Do you want to play as an Archer, Assassin, or Thief? Then perhaps the Wood Elf, Khajiit, or Argonian races would be best for you. Is your character going to be a strong-hearted Warrior? Then perhaps you'd choose a Nord. What is your character's motivation? Were they born and raised to uphold the law, break the law, or were they converted to one or the other by some tragedy that happened in their life? The beauty of these games, is that YOU shape the character how you'd like to, and how you play the game, is entirely up to nobody else but yourself! :)

morguen87

|\/| P |/\|
Try turning the difficulty up if it's not already and just explore on foot. Exploration can be a lot of fun and even more so if you a feel bit vulnerable. If it's not your cup of tea you can play around with skills you haven't used a whole lot to get an idea for a new character that specializes in something you haven't used much.

xShadow Shockx

Zeymah-Se-Vokuns
Try turning the difficulty up if it's not already and just explore on foot. Exploration can be a lot of fun and even more so if you a feel bit vulnerable. If it's not your cup of tea you can play around with skills you haven't used a whole lot to get an idea for a new character that specializes in something you haven't used much.

Ah, that's something that I forgot to mention!

What difficulty do you currently play on? If you're playing at a low-level difficulty and are finding yourself bored by how easy the game is, experiment with increasing it one level at a time. Personally, I am currently playing on Expert, but that's because my character is a very leveled, uses weapons with high damage ratings, and wears armor that exceeds the armor cap. I was becoming bored with how easy it was, and gradually increased it until I found a nice balance again, and am now enjoying it once more.

Another thing that you should try doing (if you haven't already), is exploring everything either by foot, or by horse. If you're the type of play that will fast-travel from place to place as much as possible, it's easy to find yourself becoming bored with the game, especially once the main quests have been finished, as you're not doing a whole lot of exploring and encountering a lot of enemies. When you travel by foot, or by horse (not by carriage, either), you're more likely to find new places to explore, be it caves, dungeons, Dwemer ruins (my personal favorite), etc. and thus, new enemies to battle. This also plays a large factor into playing a character with seriousness, and thus, playing the game with seriousness and realism, as in reality, fast-traveling just isn't possible; you'd have to travel by foot, or by horse.

All of these things are ways to find new senses of enjoyment from the game, and will definitely help you to make your next playthrough a more enjoyable a lengthy one, which is what Bethesda intended when they made the game as vast and explorable as it is. You just have to get it in your head that you're going to dedicate the time and effort into playing the game as if you were really inside of it, and it will instantly become more enjoyable, as you'll find yourself doing things you never did before, in ways that you never did before, and you'll find that you lose yourself in the game much more, which is 90% of the fun for me! :)

doc108

Ah, that's something that I forgot to mention!

What difficulty do you currently play on? If you're playing at a low-level difficulty and are finding yourself bored by how easy the game is, experiment with increasing it one level at a time. Personally, I am currently playing on Expert, but that's because my character is a very leveled, uses weapons with high damage ratings, and wears armor that exceeds the armor cap. I was becoming bored with how easy it was, and gradually increased it until I found a nice balance again, and am now enjoying it once more.

Another thing that you should try doing (if you haven't already), is exploring everything either by foot, or by horse. If you're the type of play that will fast-travel from place to place as much as possible, it's easy to find yourself becoming bored with the game, especially once the main quests have been finished, as you're not doing a whole lot of exploring and encountering a lot of enemies. When you travel by foot, or by horse (not by carriage, either), you're more likely to find new places to explore, be it caves, dungeons, Dwemer ruins (my personal favorite), etc. and thus, new enemies to battle. This also plays a large factor into playing a character with seriousness, and thus, playing the game with seriousness and realism, as in reality, fast-traveling just isn't possible; you'd have to travel by foot, or by horse.

All of these things are ways to find new senses of enjoyment from the game, and will definitely help you to make your next playthrough a more enjoyable a lengthy one, which is what Bethesda intended when they made the game as vast and explorable as it is. You just have to get it in your head that you're going to dedicate the time and effort into playing the game as if you were really inside of it, and it will instantly become more enjoyable, as you'll find yourself doing things you never did before, in ways that you never did before, and you'll find that you lose yourself in the game much more, which is 90% of the fun for me! :)
I am playing at whatever level is right above apprentice but I'm not going to change that until I begin my second playthrough.

doc108

Thanks guys for the help right now I'm going to do a little hunt for the dragon priest masks. No Internet help or anything. Don't know where to start though.

Templar of Talos

Bane of Elves and Vampires
Thanks guys for the help right now I'm going to do a little hunt for the dragon priest masks. No Internet help or anything. Don't know where to start though.

That my friend is what Skyrim (and previous TES games) is all about... Explore, find, raid, loot and destroy anything that gets in your way, using your own methods :D

Good luck and enjoy...

xShadow Shockx

Zeymah-Se-Vokuns
I am playing at whatever level is right above apprentice but I'm not going to change that until I begin my second playthrough.

That would be the Adept difficulty.

Ah, a wise choice. Those are very challenging to find, and even more challenging to acquire, seeing as the Dragon Priests are not likely to go down without one hell of a fight!

That my friend is what Skyrim (and previous TES games) is all about... Explore, find, raid, loot and destroy anything that gets in your way, using your own methods :D

Good luck and enjoy...

I couldn't agree more. :)