• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

AJK

I played Oblivion first. I put probably 20 or so hours into it, then got stuck. I think I was over-leveled or something, plus I really wasn't very good at combat, probably because I usually use 3rd person view, which apparently has problems with it. Anyway i kept dying against the same Berzerker Goblin or whatever it was. I started a new character and put probably 10 more hours into that one, then I just kind of got bored with it. When I got Skyrim, probably a year later, I figured I'd never play Oblivion again and uninstalled it. But lately I've been thinking about giving it another try, now that I've gotten a better hang for how that combat system works. I don't like the annoying character creation and leveling setup, but I think I can still have some fun with it.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
I played skyrim before I ever played oblivion and oblivion is really good infact I played daggerfall after oblivion and liked that and then morrowind and liked that 2 so to answer your question of course

nightmare16

here have a cookie :)
I had never heard of the elder scrolls until I took one of my friends to game stop one day and they got oblivion and skyrim. he kept telling me how great they were, but I shrugged him off. he ended up MAKING me borrow oblivion, which I played for about 2 hours and tossed it on a shelf. I told him I did not like it and he MADE me borrow skyrim. I played it until riverwood then threw it on a shelf.it set on shelf for about until finally I got bored and put it in........I didn't take it back out for 2 months.im not even kidding for 2 months I didn't play another game at all (by this time I had traded my friend a bunch of other games for skyrim) and he let me borrow oblivion I played it for a solid month then.............in short oblivion is still playable after skyrim. I actually enjoyed it more after skyrim. different experiences same love of TES

tx12001

I had never heard of the elder scrolls until I took one of my friends to game stop one day and they got oblivion and skyrim. he kept telling me how great they were, but I shrugged him off. he ended up MAKING me borrow oblivion, which I played for about 2 hours and tossed it on a shelf. I told him I did not like it and he MADE me borrow skyrim. I played it until riverwood then threw it on a shelf.it set on shelf for about until finally I got bored and put it in........I didn't take it back out for 2 months.im not even kidding for 2 months I didn't play another game at all (by this time I had traded my friend a bunch of other games for skyrim) and he let me borrow oblivion I played it for a solid month then.............in short oblivion is still playable after skyrim. I actually enjoyed it more after skyrim. different experiences same love of TES
you should try morrowind

Hidde

Drunk Archer
I no-lifed Skyrim untill I bought Oblivion some months ago. Problem is, whenever I play Oblivion, I think like, oh god the graphics are so bad. I never had that with ANY game ever at all, but I just can't seem to get into it, although I really want to :sadface:

tx12001

I no-lifed Skyrim untill I bought Oblivion some months ago. Problem is, whenever I play Oblivion, I think like, oh god the graphics are so bad. I never had that with ANY game ever at all, but I just can't seem to get into it, although I really want to :sadface:
so graphics is how you judge a game is it? play Morrowind or Daggerfall they are both great games and if you saw Oblivion Graphics back when they came out you would have not believed your eyes, infact I play daggerfall and I am used to seeing Skyrim ENB style Graphics

Hidde

Drunk Archer
so graphics is how you judge a game is it? play Morrowind or Daggerfall they are both great games and if you saw Oblivion Graphics back when they came out you would have not believed your eyes, infact I play daggerfall and I am used to seeing Skyrim ENB style Graphics

No, graphics is not how I judge a game. Maybe it's just the lack of nostalgia and I don't really know what else. But don't get the wrong idea here.

Rune

I own Skyrim and the Oblivion GOTY on both console and PC.

I recently got back into Skyrim and today I bought Oblivion GOTY.

The first thing that came to my mind when playing Oblivion was, "this is a fricking eyesore" (especially character creation, youch!), and that turned into me willing myself to keep the disk in and continue on. Soon enough the graphics grew on me and became bearable, so that was at least out of the way.

The first difference is the class and leveling system, which some like and some were more than happy to get rid of. For me, I personally like it along with Skyrim's system. I feel like Oblivion's system is superior in the whole RPG aspect while Skyrim's is good for those who like their characters to be a jack of all trades or a moldless base for their own... whatever type of character. Leveling is more "realistic" from what I can see, as leveling the major skills of your character's class will get your overall level up quicker.

Other noteable differences would include the guilds (which I have not delved too deep into yet) and quests (obviously).

Overall, while the presentation is different, Oblivion/Skyrim have similar mechanics and lore (just different time periods)... Oblivion, in my opinion, holds a bright candle to Skyrim. I think that if you love Skyrim and you picked up Oblivion and gave it a valid chance, you would enjoy it very much.

If you have any specific questions please hmu over PM!

EDIT: I also must add that the interface is absolutely atrocious. On one hand, I'd recommend Oblivion for PC bc of various interface mods and on another I'd recommend console for controller support.

Lucid

I've played Oblivion since Skytim, but not in a long time. I wasn't dissapointed by the lesser graphics or interface because I knew what to expect and faced it with fond nostalgia, like coming home to an old friend. A couple of old friends actually - I still love Martin and Lucien. I'm less drawn to ill-fated NPCs in Skyrim ;)

I played Oblivion and loved it. I bought Skyrim, and loved it even more. After a year of playing Skyrim, the oblivion disk was just gathering dust, so I picked it up and played it. The lesser graphics take some getting used to again, but it was worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucid

From a character perspective though, I'd rather be Dragonborn than CoC.

highwind

So the general consensus is basically that if you can get past that graphics, it's definitely worthwhile? I was going to ask this same thing, but I often play PS2 on an HDTV so I'm not thinking I'll really take issue with the graphics if that's the only downside.

tx12001

If you got a problem with Oblivion's graphics get a PC that's what ENB and texture mods are for, for instance look at Morrowinds graphics then look at extremely modded Morrowinds graphics

AJK

Well, I re-installed it last night, so I think I'm gonna give it another go.

Tayal

Master Assassin
If you can deal with the Bloom of the graphics, I think you should be fine with the game, has an actual storyline :)

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Is it playable? ABSOLUTELY! I played Skyrim for a LOOONNNGGGG time before I ever got Oblivion.

Once you're past the difference in graphics and the somewhat clunky dynamics, I honestly think that Oblivion has a better storyline and just seem larger than Skyrim. Of course I'm probably biased since I've done everything in Skyrim a number of times already. It's probably the "new" factor.

I do notice that there isn't so much redundancy in Oblivion though. An example would be the TG & DB storylines in Skyrim. It's just the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over... oh, you get the idea.

I do miss me dem Dragons though! FUS!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts