• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Declando

Dwarvenborn
They do feel quite different.

Oblivion was my first RPG and my first Elder Scrolls games, and it has an odd skill system. Other than that if you can get over the outdated combat etc then I believe it's a brilliant game, I managed to visit every dungeon in Skyrim, something that I actually never managed to do in Oblivion.

It's big and it's fun, if you've got a lot of free time you can become well immersed.

Also PC users can play Nehrim which is some golden German fun.

Renny

The Cole Train, Baby.
Not to beat a dead horse or anything (thread inactivity for a day) but I'd say it is entirely playable after Skyrim. In fact, that is my course of action every time I return to the Elder Scrolls series. Skyrim on occasion, then Oblivion and Morrowind. As the above poster said though, there are a few highly noticeable differences in the games. Completely different combat, no perks, a differing world, and a couple other things to say the least. Not to waffle or anything, but to answer the question: Yes, it is entirely playable after Skyrim.

Mwhals

Oblivion has several quests and story lines that I think are better personally. Skyrim is more refined. I would say it would be like going from a fine car to a good truck when driving. Both are great, just different. I love the storyline of the Nine in Oblivion, but have not tried the DLC for Skyrim.

Renny

The Cole Train, Baby.
I usually feel the opposite. They're two different games, in some ways (e.g. World, plot, characters), and therefore it is quite a change to play one after the other. Oblivion may be my favoured of the two games, but I still like to go back to Skyrim after playing it for a little bit.

Reaper87

吉光
I loved Oblivion, but I think that Skyrim was a big step forward in the series. I prefer Skyrim because of its epic plot, in-game world and the lore surrounding it.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
Having played Oblivion for a bit now, I am finding it very laggy, and clunky. Bows are hopeless. Levelling is frustrating, and overall look of the game is pretty basic. I know it's an older game, I get that, but I think I will stick to Skyrim and just play oblivion when I am really bored, or desperate.

Debenex

Once you go Redguard theirs no going back
Having played Oblivion for a bit now, I am finding it very laggy, and clunky. Bows are hopeless. Levelling is frustrating, and overall look of the game is pretty basic. I know it's an older game, I get that, but I think I will stick to Skyrim and just play oblivion when I am really bored, or desperate.

I know what you mean, especially with the bows and leveling, i never really liked the leveling.

moonfellmage

Well, I've just gotten Oblivion. Having no other games to compare with (I'm a VERY VERY Noob console player - except for Skyrim but I'm taking a break from it) I've just gotten into it, and at first I was a little put off by the graphics but the more I got into it the more it surprised me with the detailed quests and lore. Also, I made a really sexy looking character. So that's a plus. :D

Fiiralmo

2nd Aldmeri Emissary to Skyrim
After I played through Skyrim, I wanted to try Oblivion. After spending an hour trying to make my person somewhat mildly attractive, i spent 30 minutes just riding to Kvatch, and the whole time I had no clue what was going on. The leveling and class system was so complex and confusing as well. On top of that, after Skyrim, Oblivions graphics just couldn't get me into the game. I would love to go back and give it another shot, I just don't know if it's even worth it

I played Oblivion from release to when Skyrim came out but I still play Oblivion much more. I think it is by far better than Skyrim but older mechanics and graphics, a little nostalgia too I'm sure. However, if you haven't played it before Skyrim I don't think it's a good idea. It's old and outdated even with mods. But to each his own.

Adam Warlock

I finally tried out Oblivion for the 1st time after playing Skyrim for 16 months.

After about 5 hours I had to give up but I don`t fault what appears to be an excellent game for the time it was released.
Just can`t get past the graphics and the different control/menu set-ups.
Color me spoiled , darn it .

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
Oblivion lets you give your characters crazy hair colours. I have a dark elf with neon pink hair. All kinds of win. :D

Sent when I should probably be working instead...

Lunaruse

The Milkdrinking Elf
I would say definately, as long as you can get over the poor graphics XD. The guild quests are so much better than Skyrim's for the most part (Well at least the D.B. and T.G., Mages Guild is a bit annoying to start up, but after you get all the reccomendations its pretty good. Can't say anything about the fighter's guild though, never played through it)

The Laoch

He is the Prince of Order. Or was it biscuits?
Very, the main reason being the Shivering Isles. I still play Oblivion for the Shivering isles. (I may own the record for completing it the most) XD :D\

Also for a side note i still play on the Ps2 so graphics have never bothered me for a game, The longer you play Oblivion the more use you will get to the Graphics and you will be bothered less by then imo.

High King of Skyrim

King of the barbarian horde
I thought Oblivion was the greatest game I ever played, for a very long time. My very first gaming system was the nintendo with Mario Bros and Duck Hunt, so needless to say I've been an avid (console) gamer for a long time. For years it was FFVII, then Oblivion and now Skyrim! I gave Oblivion a go the other day because I felt a little nostalgic and despite the love I used to have for this game, I have to admit, it sucked. The graphics are just so behind Skyrim I didn't even make it out of the sewers. I doubt I'll seriously get into it again, I'd prefer to remember it for the enjoyment it brought me for years, not how plops it is compared to Skyrim. :)

BlueTiger

I vowed I would never play Oblivion again after a weeks into Skyrim :p After some months I did return to it and it did feel a lot different and it wasn't as good. It was still quite fun though, and I was new to the RPG scene when I picked up Oblivion so I was able to to use some tricks I learned on Skyrim and apply it to that.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts