PC Is it really worth the upgrade to 64bit?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

realflow100

I have windows 7 home premium 32bit
And I was wondering if upgrading to 64bit would honest to god give me any FPS increase in skyrim at all..
I'm not talking 2FPS increase. I'm talking about the 10-20FPS increase that everyone is boasting about when upgrading to 64bit.
Is this just a joke or something?
Cause I was wondering if I should honestly upgrade to 64bit
But If I only get maybe 3FPS more... That's useless... I would need at least a 10FPS increase for any noticable framerate increase in my game..
Should I really upgrade to 64bit?
Or just buy a new computer alltogether? (I don't even have $20 to spend on computer parts so that's out of the question.)
But I could manage an upgrade of my windows version.

Anthrax

Revenant of Shadows
I have windows 7 home premium 32bit
And I was wondering if upgrading to 64bit would honest to god give me any FPS increase in skyrim at all..
I'm not talking 2FPS increase. I'm talking about the 10-20FPS increase that everyone is boasting about when upgrading to 64bit.
Is this just a joke or something?
Cause I was wondering if I should honestly upgrade to 64bit
But If I only get maybe 3FPS more... That's useless... I would need at least a 10FPS increase for any noticable framerate increase in my game..
Should I really upgrade to 64bit?
Or just buy a new computer alltogether? (I don't even have $20 to spend on computer parts so that's out of the question.)
But I could manage an upgrade of my windows version.

Firstly, everything is going towards 64-bit. It's the evolution of Moore's law.

FPS, is actually relative to the game code and what it's designed for. Most games nowadays, are coded to cater for 64-bit bus, since people started to increase their ram size back in Windows XP days.

Then lastly, if you on that much of a budget and before I go further into deeper detail, if your graphics card is not the best, don't expect a 64-bit version of Windows to miraculously give you more FPS.

So I would say, unless you have an adequate graphics card, lots of ram, don't bother.

realflow100

i have 2gb ram and 256mb graphics memory (boring)
and windows 7 home premium (whatevah)
and ati radeon hd 4200 (pos basically)
with 2.9ghz sempron single core processor (I want to overclock it to at least 3ghz because it runs so cool it is not even warm when i feel the heatsink after running skyrim for hours on end)
and the heatsink is massive and the fans barely even spin and it still stays cool as a cucumber.. so if i put the fans to max in the bios it sounds like a jet engine and the heatsink is actually stone cold after a minute or two
But it sucks that my processor's speed is locked and impossible to change :sadface: no overclocking utility in the world could change the processor speed.
and overclocking the graphics card is totally out of the question (the little heatsink on that built in thing get's hot enough to cook an egg)

Anthrax

Revenant of Shadows
i have 2gb ram and 256mb graphics memory (boring)
and windows 7 home premium (whatevah)
and ati radeon hd 4200 (pos basically)
with 2.9ghz sempron single core processor (I want to overclock it to at least 3ghz because it runs so cool it is not even warm when i feel the heatsink after running Skyrim for hours on end)
and the heatsink is massive and the fans barely even spin and it still stays cool as a cucumber.. so if i put the fans to max in the bios it sounds like a jet engine and the heatsink is actually stone cold after a minute or two
But it sucks that my processor's speed is locked and impossible to change :sadface: no overclocking utility in the world could change the processor speed.
and overclocking the graphics card is totally out of the question (the little heatsink on that built in thing get's hot enough to cook an egg)

Overclocking is a fallacy. And you don't need to overclock an AMD chip. So too is an overclocking utility.

Your sempron chip can be overclocked and configured properly in the BIOS "basic input output system". This option is UUC "unlock CPU core". Once you in the System preferences you can clock the MHz rate of the CPU in small increments. Your CPU isn't going to be stable anything 3300MHz. Plus next to that, your main board might not have the channels to allow such heavy voltage and may burst on board sound components, (e.g. USB channels, capacitors). Your graphics card will also get infected.

My advice, no.

However, your PC isn't going to benefit from a 64-bit OS. Your hardware is very old.

realflow100

There IS no option to change any clock options in the bios I've already looked through a million times
I can't even change the amount of memory allocated to my integraded graphics chip :C
All I can change is the thermal fan speed option and a few random hard drive cylinder or some other
(which im not touching those settings)