Imperials or Stormcloaks, what one?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

EvilCrazyCows

And why should I pick one over the other? So far neither have shown me that one is better or worse than the other, they both have their bad and good qualities. Many say Stormcloaks because the name sounds cool, but I want to side for a reason, not the name.

I'm a male Khajiit (Destruction mage)

Please help me D:

EDIT: I really want to keep being a mage so does one of them have classes or can I just stay been a mage.

I only started playing 4 days ago and i have never played any other TES.

M'aiqaelF

Male, 32 years old, Denver area, CO
The Stormcloaks really don't like people who aren't Nords, so you may want to go with the Empire since they are more accepting of all races. There are no special abilities that you gain from joining one faction or the other; but you get rewarded with different kinds of weapons and armor for your contributions to the cause.

If you want to get involved more in the magic I would recommend joining the Mage's Guild.

And why should I pick one over the other? So far neither have shown me that one is better or worse than the other, they both have their bad and good qualities. Many say Stormcloaks because the name sounds cool, but I want to side for a reason, not the name.

I'm a male Khajiit (Destruction mage)

Please help me D:

EDIT: I really want to keep being a mage so does one of them have classes or can I just stay been a mage.

I only started playing 4 days ago and i have never played any other TES.
There areen't any real reasons to join any side other than oppinions on the side's reasons for fighting and stuff.
The Imperials are really kind in truth. they are the "good guys" in my eyes. The only flaw is something that only affects Nords- they signed a treaty that banned the worship of Talos (an "untrue" god in the eyes of Elves) to save the Empire from obliteration.
The Stomcloaks- well, the Cause is true but Ulfric is not. He doesn't really care about liberating Skyrim, or Talos, or anything. He just wants to be High King. This is what I gathered from characters- I even got hints of it from people who REVERE the guy.

So yeah. It all comes down to: Do you want to be red or blue? ;)
OH, and one more thing that doesn't really affect a mage character anyways: If you join the Imperials you can get Ulfric's Clothes, but if you join Stormcloaks you can get general Tullius' Light Armor.

M'aiqaelF

Lol, thanks guys. Tbh I might not join any. I have joined the collage btw :D But thanks alot

it is a good way to get EXP and also there is a lot of loot from the missions where you take over bases

juniperbugg

Skyrim addict
I had a thread for this same question soooo heres what I learned, Ulfric is pretty racist and im a redguard I think in Ulfrics ideal world my character wouldnt have a place...He is also on the hook for callous war crimes and he pretty much seems to just want to be the High King no matter who has to die.The imperials are all total assholes who seem to be letting the Thalmor take over Skyrim and not standing up for themselves because of some peace treaty formed in Oblivion (which I didnt play). Which asshole to chose, tough choice lol Anyways I was reading up like a true Skyrim addict and I stumbled across this prettty good argument to join the imperials http://ablestmage.wordpress.com/2011/12/24/why-you-should-become-an-imperial-not-a-stormcloak/ that there be the link =) tbh im not finding anything as convincing for the other side but I am still on the fence hope this helps ^.^ If I find anything new to back up the stormcloaks ill let you know =)

BSE

In Oblivion I began in jail at the hands of the Imperials. In Skyrim my head was on the chopping block at the hands of the Imperials. Just me, but Stormcloaks all the way!
That was my initial thinking, but then I realized it was a big misunderstanding. As for the other side, the Nords hate me simply because of my race, so screw them.

Grey Fox

I see where you're coming but I personally refuse to help a side that wishes to end my life. I also played a Nord character when choosing sides...so for me it was a no-brainer.
It's also very rewarding to liberate those imprisoned at the hands of Thalmor and Imperials.

juniperbugg

Skyrim addict
Read some more, seems everyone who is siding with the stormcloaks because the imperials were going to kill them should know that if you sided imperial at the beginning you get attacked shortly after by a band of stormcloaks who want to kill you for no reason also >.>

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
I recommend completing the main questline before deciding to do anything. Season Unending becomes an interesting quest and is probably the only quest where you have some flexibility in how you resolve the quest with several different possible results which have lasting effects in the game. I wont go any further into it than that but a picture is worth thousand words.

standalone

Clockwise starting at 12 o'clock, Arngeir Greybeard as a neutral mediator, Esbern and Delphine representing the Blades, Jarl Ulfric Stormcloak and Galmar Stone-Fist representing the Stormcloaks, Lydia and the Dovahkiin as neutral mediators, Legate Rikke, Jarl Elisif the Fair, General Tullius, and Jarl Balgruuf the Greater representing the Empire and the Nords that support the Empire and oppose the Stormcloaks, and (boo hiss boo!) Elenwen representing the Thalmor government

M'aiqaelF

Read some more, seems everyone who is siding with the stormcloaks because the imperials were going to kill them should know that if you sided imperial at the beginning you get attacked shortly after by a band of stormcloaks who want to kill you for no reason also >.>

for all you know your character could be being executed for some horrible crime and the Imperials are completely justified in executing him/her

juniperbugg

Skyrim addict
sooo true ^.^ im not mad they wanted to execute me I survived it didnt I no grudges bared here =P andddddd as for the stormcloak imperial choice I think im going imperial mainly because Ulfric Stormcloak is a racist and imma sexy redguard ^.^

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
I see where you're coming but I personally refuse to help a side that wishes to end my life.
As the player you create your own backstory. You could choose to make a backstory which makes joining the Imperial Army make sense notwithstanding what happened at Helgen. Your character could be an Imperial Army deserter who seeks redemption by rejoining the Imperial Army after Helgen.

I also played a Nord character when choosing sides...so for me it was a no-brainer.
Stormcloaks =/= Nords or necessarily Skyrim's best interests. They represent Ulfric's interests and ambitions as indicated by the fact that they bear his name as a homage to his ego and narcissism. Look at the picture above. There are 2 Nords who stand against Ulfric on the opposite side of the table and there are plenty of other Nords like them in Skyrim. The Imperial Army's depleted numbers in Skyrim have been replenished by Nord volunteers.

There are plenty of hints dropped throughout the game that Ulfric is motivated primarily by his personal ambition to be High King. One of them even implies that the Stormcloaks have massacred peaceful unarmed civilian Nords simply because they supported Skyrim remaining part of the Empire. My main character is a Nord as well but that doesn't require me to pledge loyalty or fealty to an egomaniacal usurper whose armed forces are a bunch of xenophobic racists.

Stormcloaks =/= Nords or necessarily Skyrim's best interests. They represent Ulfric's interests and ambitions as indicated by the fact that they bear his name as a homage to his ego and narcissism. Look at the picture above. There are 2 Nords who stand against Ulfric on the opposite side of the table and there are plenty of other Nords like them in Skyrim. The Imperial Army's depleted numbers in Skyrim have been replenished by Nord volunteers.

There are plenty of hints dropped throughout the game that Ulfric is motivated primarily by his personal ambition to be High King. One of them even implies that the Stormcloaks have massacred peaceful unarmed civilian Nords simply because they supported Skyrim remaining part of the Empire. My main character is a Nord as well but that doesn't require me to pledge loyalty or fealty to an egomaniacal usurper whose armed forces are a bunch of xenophobic racists.
Exactly what I said erlier, except quoting someone else and much legthier. Anyway, my main charie, (Wolfred) joined the Stormcloaks before I realised that the Imperials were the "better men".

Grey Fox

So very true. I plan to play all angles as I play and enjoy the game from many perspectives with numerous characters. I was merely expressing the choice I made with the only character I have as of yet who has actually chosen a side.
Probably the only common thread that I will have between all my characters is the pure joy I experience when killing Thalmor.