I hope FO4 isn't indicative of the direction TES is going

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Easton

I actually hold Fallout 4 in quite high regards. I totally understand where you're coming from in terms of the immersion though. I personally am not too into the immersion aspects of games. I tend to view the story as an outsider and not a participant, so having the voice acting in Fallout 4 was really nice to see. Thinking about it though, not to sure how it would play out in a TES game.
I highly doubt they'd implement it, but I do think that an option to toggle the character voice acting on and off would appease both sides of the discussion.
As another user also mentioned, the settlements were a nice addition to the Fallout series, and I think something like that in TES would be just as enjoyable.
I don't recall anything like it in Skyrim, but special weapons from Fallout 4 was pretty neat. I think that would translate well to TES. (This is referring to the + or ★ next to the item name with a unique stat or ability)

Yes, I really enjoy FO4's weapon modding, and weapon selection in general. It can definitely be built upon, but for a vanilla feature it's pretty impressive. I think that the settlement building is fun, but that it's kind of unpolished. It feels sort of like it was added as an afterthought. I think my biggest complaint with it is how limited item selection is (wish there were more furniture/decoration items) and also how overly complicated some of the building is. (I could deal with losing some realism if it meant that I could easily build walls that clip into each other, because as it is, it's very difficult to make a good looking house.) I also with there were some additional features, like terraforming to build on slanted ground (or allow the clipping that I mentioned before) and ways of building things underground. It also majorly bums me out that you're unable to create settlements in any of the old vaults. (Without using console commands.)

If you build your floors first it will make building a whole lot easier. Also in the wood floor section there is a floor with foundation option that will allow you to build level structures on uneven terrain.

Yeah, but they end up looking kind of dumb. Like I said, not bad, but sort of unpolished.

The Coffee Guy

The World's #1 Contradictory Person
I doubt that The Elder Scrolls would have player voice acting, and the main reason for that is because of how many races there are. The Elder Scrolls has always been their main game, which doesn't really have any sort of back story for your character. Fallout has always had a back story for your character, heck, in Fallout 3 you play from birth. I think that Bethesda thought that they should experiment with a player voice, as they can attribute it to the pre-set back story which is on the level of every Fallout game. To be honest, I didn't mind the voice acting, and the voice actor is definitely talented, but I understand your point.

As for the second bit, I think it's not really as strong as Fallout 3 in terms of being an RPG, but these people who say that Fallout 4 isn't an RPG are plain wrong in my opinion. The reason I believe that is because they removed skills, but in reality skills aren't completely gone. Instead, skills are integrated with S.P.E.C.I.A.L, meaning that the character you make and the things they are good at pretty much goes based on their personal traits, which I like. However, I disagree with being able to increase your S.P.E.C.I.A.L as much as you can, and I'd prefer it if you could only improve them a few times, just like in Fallout 3. But the gun play and world is FAR better in my opinion. You have to just look at the world they have designed, and the scenery is beautiful. I love delving into the corners of the world to see what they have hidden for players who explore.

Anyway, yeah, that's just my thought, really. But I agree, it would be really bad if they took The Elder Scrolls in this direction, but I think it's not too bad of a decision for Fallout, unless they keep sacrificing the RPG elements for these developments.

Voorth

"Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy." - Josey Wales
Resurrecting a thread from a few months ago...

History: Started/finished Skyrim last year. Started/finished Oblivion last year.

Just finished Fallout 4 (Automatron DLC is a kick) after playing it for a few months. It was my first Fallout game, though i played Fallout 3 off and on recently and am currently playing Fallout New Vegas (not quite to Vegas yet).

It's so interesting to see the differences and common themes to these games. I'm really liking New Vegas, and the more "linear" type of questline with all the side quests shooting off from it. Reminds me a little bit more of Skyrim than FO4. FO4 seemed to go away from the RPG portion a bit - didn't really matter what i did, the game kept on keeping on.

But man, i loved the settlement building in FO4. I REALLY hope that the new Elder Scrolls incorporates some of that. It's downright fun, and would be awesome to build Skyrim settlements.

But we wait, and wait, and wait while Bethesda pumps out FO4 DLC's.... sigh.

Morgan

But man, i loved the settlement building in FO4. I REALLY hope that the new Elder Scrolls incorporates some of that. It's downright fun, and would be awesome to build Skyrim settlements.

I can't agree more with this. I've really been getting into settlement building, and experimenting with the terminal options with time delays and such, and it's been a ton of fun. However, the bigger I build a settlement, the more out-of-place it feels in the Wasteland. It seems like being able to build a decent-sized village would be much more in keeping with the stable infrastructure of Tamriel than in the world of Fallout.