How do I kill essential NPCs?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Tuemmy101

I play on the Xbox 360 and am going on a run around Skyrim trying to kill nearly everyone I meet. But there are a lot of NPCs I can't kill because they are apparently "essential" and give quests. I have failed a main quest by killing Alvor in Riverwood, but people who are involved in the main questline (e.g. Jarl Balgruuf) still won't die. Is there any way to kill them?

Chadonraz

Not on console. Some NPCs who are initially essential lose that status once you complete whatever quest(s) they're involved in, though.

By the way, you can still continue the MQ even though you failed the Riverwood objective. I like to go straight to Whiterun. :D

Tuemmy101

Not on console. Some NPCs who are initially essential lose that status once you complete whatever quest(s) they're involved in, though.

By the way, you can still continue the MQ even though you failed the Riverwood objective. I like to go straight to Whiterun. :D
Alright well thanks for the answer. Also, for the account I use, I'm not really doing any quests.

JoeReese

You could get a modded save where all essential characters are no longer essential. If such a save is floating around anywhere.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Adam Warlock

If it`s just for the thrill of downing them , you can "kill" essential characters but only for a temporary period after which they will respawn.

With the Reanimate Corpse spell in each hand , target the head of the essential NPC and rapid fire a one-two casting of the spell(may need to repeat) and the NPC will crumble into an Ash Pile(permanent/unlootable).
This is not considered an attack by the game and will not result in a bounty.
Although the essential NPC will eventually reappear , this can be very useful for eliminating potential witnesses to commiting crimes in areas where essential NPC are located such as looting palace interiors.

If it`s just for the thrill of downing them , you can "kill" essential characters but only for a temporary period after which they will respawn.

With the Reanimate Corpse spell in each hand , target the head of the essential NPC and rapid fire a one-two casting of the spell(may need to repeat) and the NPC will crumble into an Ash Pile(permanent/unlootable).
Although the essential NPC will eventually reappear , this can be very useful for eliminating potential witnesses to commiting crimes in areas where essential NPC are located such as looting palace interiors.

Just spam the NPC with it repeatedly? Interesting never heard of that

Adam Warlock

Just spam the NPC with it repeatedly? Interesting never heard of that

Yes , that`s it.

I often had trouble getting my followers or Dead Thralls to break off combat with the essential Legates or Commanders of civil war camps until I stated employing this technique.

Also good to shut the yap of smart-ass kids.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts