• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Wandering back and forth across the hidden vale trying to fill you picture at all 5 of the shrines. This is the test of your devotion? What, the test is that you've got the patience to do this pointless activity.

After wandering all over and having minor encounters in the vale for a couple of hours, I'm kind of not surprised that their little endeavor was forgotten. What kind of devotee would put up with that kind of manual labor. No reward (not even the bow) would be worth that and you don't even get to get the bow if you're only a devotee!

Ah - religion - thouest make no sense.

Keiran Waugh

Badass Cannibal Cupcake
I despise that mission with all my heart. First time I played it I forgot to save every so often, died just before that last wayshrine then got reverted back to the autosave when I entered the area.

Never. Again.

When I come to that quest in one of my infinite amounts of characters I create and play the dawnguard storyline, I just use the console to teleport to wayshrines, sad as it is. :/

Personally, I wouldn't even go through all that crap, even if they were going to give me the chantry. But I suppose the bow is essential to the scenario though, only thing between the destruction of the vampires I guess. I wouldn't exactly give the bow to two randomers who came out of no-where, killed half the wildlife for their skins then essentially ruined a ice lake landmark with the help of two dragons. Sides, person might die 2 minutes from when you give them it, leaving the bow exposed, probably to some giant who'll use it as a buttscratcher.... drifting off the point here, aren't I? xD

Religion's a bitch, I guess.

Stigweard Ruadhan

Jeg er stolt. Jeg er sterk.
Funniest conversation ever ensues...

Serana: "What's that basin in the centre signify?"

Gelebor: "Once the Initiate completed his mantras, he'd dip a ceremonial ewer in the basin at the way-shrine's and proceed to the next way-shrine."

Serana: "So these Initiates had to lug around a heavy pitcher of water. Marvellous. How long would they have to do that?"

Gelebor: "Well, once the Initiate's enlightenment was complete, he'd bring the ewer to the Chantry's Inner Sanctum. Pouring the contents of the ewer into the sacred basin of the Sanctum would allow him to enter for an audience with the Arch-Curate himself."

Serana: "All that just to end up dumping it out? Makes no sense to me."

Gelebor: "It's symbolic. I don't expect you to understand."

At this point, I kind of made that noise you make when you feel awkward and inhale sharply through gritted teeth whilst hiding your face.

Daelon DuLac

Funniest conversation ever ensues...

Serana: "What's that basin in the centre signify?"

Gelebor: "Once the Initiate completed his mantras, he'd dip a ceremonial ewer in the basin at the way-shrine's and proceed to the next way-shrine."

Serana: "So these Initiates had to lug around a heavy pitcher of water. Marvellous. How long would they have to do that?"

Gelebor: "Well, once the Initiate's enlightenment was complete, he'd bring the ewer to the Chantry's Inner Sanctum. Pouring the contents of the ewer into the sacred basin of the Sanctum would allow him to enter for an audience with the Arch-Curate himself."

Serana: "All that just to end up dumping it out? Makes no sense to me."

Gelebor: "It's symbolic. I don't expect you to understand."

At this point, I kind of made that noise you make when you feel awkward and inhale sharply through gritted teeth whilst hiding your face.
Odd conversation and I had to agree with Serana. Talk about a stupid custom. I just wanted to slap Gelebor. I would have tried, but there seemed to be a bit of a "Look - I know it's stupid, but that's the way thing area done..." tone of voice there.

At least they don't actually make you wander around with that damned ewer in one hand trying not to spill it. That would be a pain! Of course, it might also explain all the skeletons about. They couldn't defend themselves against a sabre-cat while holding a ewer and trying not to spill it. But where did all the ewers go! Where did all the ewers go!

Daelon DuLac

I - no joke - spent 3 hours trying to find all the damn wayshrines. Fluff. That. I haven't played Dawnguard since. I got better ways to waste my time. Like picking all the red nirnroots in Blackreach.
Oh yeah! Lucky me, though, I have the Skyrim bible and they're all mapped out. I just don't have the friggin' patience to wander around Blackreach for so long. All those glowing mushrooms creep me out.

Keiran Waugh

Badass Cannibal Cupcake
I - no joke - spent 3 hours trying to find all the damn wayshrines. Fluff. That. I haven't played Dawnguard since. I got better ways to waste my time. Like picking all the red nirnroots in Blackreach.

You have a strange version of "wasting time." My version of wasting time is walking form place to place instead of running or fast travel then killing everything I see on the way...... just a liitttllleee bit more shady than yours.

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
You have a strange version of "wasting time." My version of wasting time is walking form place to place instead of running or fast travel then killing everything I see on the way...... just a liitttllleee bit more shady than yours.

I'm an odd nut. Trust me. ;)

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
Oh yeah! Lucky me, though, I have the Skyrim bible and they're all mapped out. I just don't have the friggin' patience to wander around Blackreach for so long. All those glowing mushrooms creep me out.

*cough*CHEATER*cough* :D <3

Keiran Waugh

Badass Cannibal Cupcake
I'm an odd nut. Trust me. ;)

Ah yes, it's fairly evident. Although, it doesn't get much odder than going around your house wearing nothing but a cape and a pair of socks with a tie tied around your forehead and doing an impersonation of Arnold Schwarzenegger.... I do that when my internet breaks down, which is common....... and no, i'm not drunk when I do it. So glad I have my own floor in my house, i'm sure my entire family would never take me seriously ever again.

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
Wandering back and forth across the hidden vale trying to fill you picture at all 5 of the shrines. This is the test of your devotion? What, the test is that you've got the patience to do this pointless activity.

After wandering all over and having minor encounters in the vale for a couple of hours, I'm kind of not surprised that their little endeavor was forgotten. What kind of devotee would put up with that kind of manual labor. No reward (not even the bow) would be worth that and you don't even get to get the bow if you're only a devotee!

Ah - religion - thouest make no sense.

Forgotten Vale is amazing if you take your time and explore every path. I came back loaded with an unbelievable amount of loot. If you go there to just rush through as quick as possible trying to get out of there, you're missing out big time imo.

LotusEater

Forgotten Vale is really fun to explore

Took forever before I stumbled across a shellbug. Lol. It freaked me out at first. I hid behind a rock staring at it for a long time. You pretty much gotta go there knowing you are gonna spend hours exploring. Kinda like the Soul Cairn.

LotusEater

There are like 70 mineral veins in Blackreach. Blackreach is another one of those areas where you are best served planning an expedition to go explore every nook and cranny. You'll need reinforcements to help you carry out all the valuable loot.

Daelon DuLac

Forgotten Vale is amazing if you take your time and explore every path. I came back loaded with an unbelievable amount of loot. If you go there to just rush through as quick as possible trying to get out of there, you're missing out big time imo.
Sure, there's all kinds of crap there, but I'm kinda at the point where I don't collect much anymore (except, of course for alchemy ingredients that I don't use and lots and lots of ores). I went through a thorough exploration yesterday but have to disagree that there is much there except ores, pelts and alchemy ingredients. Frankly there really wasn't much more than 5K gold in the entire place and I really don't have any use for the weaka** weapons that were strewn about. Of course it was nice to get a bunch more dragon bones & scales.

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
Sure, there's all kinds of crap there, but I'm kinda at the point where I don't collect much anymore (except, of course for alchemy ingredients that I don't use and lots and lots of ores). I went through a thorough exploration yesterday but have to disagree that there is much there except ores, pelts and alchemy ingredients. Frankly there really wasn't much more than 5K gold in the entire place and I really don't have any use for the weaka** weapons that were strewn about. Of course it was nice to get a bunch more dragon bones & scales.

Yeah, by the time I went there the first time, I was already a high enough level where the stuff was just uninteresting. I had a ton of gold, so that was unnecessary too. My goal was to get in, do what I needed to do, and get out. Which took way too long, in my books.

LotusEater

Ores, pelts and alchemy ingredients are my only means of income save dungeon diving and I don't loot the undead unless it's a boss. I don't buy from merchants, I only invest in them so I can sell them the stuff I make from gathering stuff. It seems like crafting and selling stuff to make money would be tedious, but I've found that gathering and crafting saves me about a million load screens overall once I factor in how much I used to go in and out of shops. When I do sell stuff, I only hit outside vendors to further avoid load screens lol. I hate load screens.

Whenever I start a new playthrough, I always look forward to the vampire missions. If you hit the vampire quests early in your development, you will end the questline with an unbelievable amount of resources. Including soul gems if you fully exploit the Soul Cairn (highly recommended). Convert and craft your resources at the end and profit big in money and crafting experience.

It took me a couple playthroughs before I wasn't overwhelmed by it though. The Glacial Crevice almost drove me to drugs the first time through. You'll appreciate it more on your next visit. :)

ShadowHunter

Ores, pelts and alchemy ingredients are my only means of income save dungeon diving and I don't loot the undead unless it's a boss. I don't buy from merchants, I only invest in them so I can sell them the stuff I make from gathering stuff. It seems like crafting and selling stuff to make money would be tedious, but I've found that gathering and crafting saves me about a million load screens overall once I factor in how much I used to go in and out of shops. When I do sell stuff, I only hit outside vendors to further avoid load screens lol. I hate load screens.

Whenever I start a new playthrough, I always look forward to the vampire missions. If you hit the vampire quests early in your development, you will end the questline with an unbelievable amount of resources. Including soul gems if you fully exploit the Soul Cairn (highly recommended). Convert and craft your resources at the end and profit big in money and crafting experience.

It took me a couple playthroughs before I wasn't overwhelmed by it though. The Glacial Crevice almost drove me to drugs the first time through.
You also get Durnehviir :D

Daelon DuLac

Yeah, by the time I went there the first time, I was already a high enough level where the stuff was just uninteresting. I had a ton of gold, so that was unnecessary too. My goal was to get in, do what I needed to do, and get out. Which took way too long, in my books.
I'm not one for much of a challenge. I don't like dieing and I don't like impossible battles. That's why I'll never play on Master Level and will always be well armored and well armed. I like the suggestion one of our other forumers had to get to about level 20 before starting the quests. That's what I'm doing on my next build.

Daelon DuLac

You also get Durnehviir :D
I don't know what that is. Like I said. After hours of wandering around, I really didn't find very much. I did get a couple of those paragons and I saw online that there are others and secret rooms, etc..., but frankly, if I didn't find it online there was no way I was just going to discover it myself. The game is huge, and I'm just not that curious. Give me a dungeon to explore and I'll clean it out. Give me 3 valleys full of wildlife and I get distracted too much to ever really search. Please, I even got lost in the glacier and it took me another hour just to find that path up so that I could get to the temple. Frankly, I suck. Of course, it is my first time through and I'll be more thorough the next time I run through.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts