• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

El Fonz0

I'm horrible with names, and I'm trying to make some Elven characters, but can never make a character without making it a reference to some Elven god or well known Elven figure. That, and I have no idea how to construct Elven names.
I know how to make Khajiit, Argonian, and Orcish names, and that's it, and Human names are easier to come up with because each human race is based on a certain culture, like Italian or Swedish or French or something.

Aeri Shadow

Dainty Elven Heir
I LOVE Elves.. Especially the ones in Skyrim. When I play an Elven character, their name usually ends with "lyn" or it is the utmost fantasy-type name I can come up with, usually one I've never heard before. Just try thinking of some weird names in your head to see what sounds good. :)

El Fonz0

Well, all three Elves. Altmer, Dunmer, and Bosmer. The reason I'm asking this is because I have a mod that allows me to play as a Snow Elf, and because we've only seen 7 Falmer names ever(Gelebor, Vyrthur, and the 5 Prelates), I have this thought that the Snow Elves pose as extremely pale Altmer, Bosmer, and Dunmer.

Neriad13

Premium Member
I found this series of great history and naming guides a while back that you'd probably find useful.

Altmer

Dunmer

Bosmer

Or, you could just go the route I took recently and give your character an impersonal noun for a "name." My current character is named "just a wanderer." Now, whenever any NPC asks my name for a couple quests, I can answer "I'm just a wanderer. Who are you?" :D Let me tell you, it was a load off my chest to not have to think up a good Dunmeri name and the character is the one that I've probably had the most fun with yet.

Krimson

Ròidh the Warbound
The Elvish Name Generator <---This is the website I used when I had a Bosmer. Just type in you're actual name and your elvish name will appear. Or type in a a random @$$ name and a random @$$ elvish name will appear. It's actually pretty cool. The website also has a Hobbit name generator if you're interested. ;)

El Fonz0

The Elvish Name Generator <---This is the website I used when I had a Bosmer. Just type in you're actual name and your elvish name will appear. Or type in a a random @$$ name and a random @$$ elvish name will appear. It's actually pretty cool. The website also has a Hobbit name generator if you're interested. ;)
Well, this is for LotR Elves, not ES Elves. Dunmer have a different name pattern then Altmer and Bosmer.

Morgan

I'm not good at inventing names either, so I tend to look to mythology for great names. Finnish mythology always yields names that I think have a very elvish feel (I'm not alone there; Tolkien modeled much of his Elvish stuff after Finnish language and mythology). For wood elves, American Indian history and mythology work as well. Coming back to Finland though, for snow elves, what about Sami (Lapp) names? The wikipedia on their religion has a few names that sound great. Best of luck.

Tosh Raka

Tiger Dragon of Ka'Po'Tun
Altmer names are usually very vowel heavy, often ending with "O" "R" "N" or "TH" such as Calcelmo or Nurelion. Think O's A's and U's
Example: Ruthlior, Acorioth, or Uncantion.

Bosmer names have a very Old English, Proto-Anglo-Saxon feel to them, Incorporating "AE" and "GW" and fall in line with much more traditional elven names, such as Gwilin or Faendal. Try using names similar to those of elven lore, including flourishes as "OE" "AE" and "TH"
Example: Gwedilith, Faloe, or Daethir

Dunmer names Have a more mystical, and somewhat cursed backdrop to their names, usually having lower toned vowels. Majority of the names are two syllable and often heavy use of "Y" in place of "E" or "I" and often en in "N" "S" or "R" Such as Ravyn or Tythis. Women usually have 3 syllables.
Example: Dynus, Soryn, or Mylur

Hoped that helped. Lol compiled that just for you.

Tosh Raka

Tiger Dragon of Ka'Po'Tun
I'm not good at inventing names either, so I tend to look to mythology for great names. Finnish mythology always yields names that I think have a very elvish feel (I'm not alone there; Tolkien modeled much of his Elvish stuff after Finnish language and mythology). For wood elves, American Indian history and mythology work as well. Coming back to Finland though, for snow elves, what about Sami (Lapp) names? The wikipedia on their religion has a few names that sound great. Best of luck.

This is true and pretty cool. Well my dads from Tampere so I guess I just like Finnish names, but there's some pretty cool names from lore perfect for elves, or trolls... Lol

Clau

The Fateless One

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
My first and current Altmer character name was difficult to think of, but I realize that my character had a gold type texture to his skin, and his eyes were golden color ( before he turned into a vampire lord) so I named him Horus Gold-eyes. It's probably not an Altmer like name, but at least I can pronounce it without a struggle.

El Fonz0

Altmer names are usually very vowel heavy, often ending with "O" "R" "N" or "TH" such as Calcelmo or Nurelion. Think O's A's and U's
Example: Ruthlior, Acorioth, or Uncantion.

Bosmer names have a very Old English, Proto-Anglo-Saxon feel to them, Incorporating "AE" and "GW" and fall in line with much more traditional elven names, such as Gwilin or Faendal. Try using names similar to those of elven lore, including flourishes as "OE" "AE" and "TH"
Example: Gwedilith, Faloe, or Daethir

Dunmer names Have a more mystical, and somewhat cursed backdrop to their names, usually having lower toned vowels. Majority of the names are two syllable and often heavy use of "Y" in place of "E" or "I" and often en in "N" "S" or "R" Such as Ravyn or Tythis. Women usually have 3 syllables.
Example: Dynus, Soryn, or Mylur

Hoped that helped. Lol compiled that just for you.
Oh my god, this is exactly what I needed. How to construct Elven names. Those example names looks just like actual character names.

My first and current Altmer character name was difficult to think of, but I realize that my character had a gold type texture to his skin, and his eyes were golden color ( before he turned into a vampire lord) so I named him Horus Gold-eyes. It's probably not an Altmer like name, but at least I can pronounce it without a struggle.
Horus Gold-eyes sounds very Nordic. Was your High Elf raised by Nords?;)

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
Horus Gold-eyes sounds very Nordic. Was your High Elf raised by Nords?;)

As of matter of fact he was. His parents, former members of the Thalmor, decided that they didn't want their son to be influenced by the A.D therefor they were going to take Horus to Cyrodiil where he would be safe. The A.D found out about it and tracked them down. The A.D. Executed Horus parents for high treason soon after as Horus, at the age of 7 at the time, was on the boat being floated away Summerset isle with the wind guiding the boat to Cyrodiil. Short end of the story is that Horus body washed up to shores where a Talos worshiping Nord couple found Horus unconscious, and decided to take him home to be nursed back to good health. They ended up adopting him.

El Fonz0

As of matter of fact he was. His parents, former members of the Thalmor, decided that they didn't want their son to be influenced by the A.D therefor they were going to take Horus to Cyrodiil where he would be safe. The A.D found out about it and tracked them down. The A.D. Executed Horus parents for high treason soon after as Horus, at the age of 7 at the time, was on the boat being floated away Summerset isle with the wind guiding the boat to Cyrodiil. Short end of the story is that Horus body washed up to shores where a Talos worshiping Nord couple found Horus unconscious, and decided to take him home to be nursed back to good health. They ended up adopting him.
You know, this story sounds kinda similar to Brand-Shei's backstory. An elf raised by the race that is their biggest enemy, with a touch of poetic justice, due to the Elf's family's profession. Brand-Shei was a Telvanni, the Great House known for supporting slavery, and was raised by Argonians. Horus came from an ex-Thalmor family, and was raised by Talos-worshipping Nords.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts