• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

buggegirl99

people of the forum, i would like to have a chat about giants. i am freaking terrified of giants. i hunt down dragons when i see them but i have a panic attack when i see a giant. is anyone with me?

Nakatsu_Hime

I used to give Giants a wide berth, and I mean, a REALLY wide berth. They did scare me a bit, and I'd do anything to avoid pissing them off.

However, you do discover that, if you hit them often enough with a sword or two and keep moving, they tend to fall over.
It's the Mammoths that I avoid now. I've been chased across the fields by a couple of them, and they refused to go away.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Actually, I think giants are rather useful. In the right spot, they can give you a boost. Elevator for one up to High Hrothgar please.

It's the Mammoths that I avoid now. I've been chased across the fields by a couple of them, and they refused to go away.

I agree. My armor is high enough that it takes like 10(guessing) hits from a giant to kill me. But the mammoths are tough. Once they see you, they chase you down. Both are really good for increasing your BLOCK and LIGHT/HEAVY ARMOR (and a few more). And they give you a lot of moneyyy :cowboy:

AS88

Staff member
I always annoy them at Bleakwind Basin, then get them to follow me to Silent Moons Camp. Then either hide in the forge or level destruction/archery/conjuration/whatever until they die or get bored.

I find that by level 15 or so, I'm not in fear of giants any more, because I can kill them quickly enough not to make a silly mistake and take a one way trip to the twin moons, or if I play as a warrior, a shield bash will give me enough time to hit and get a good position again.

It can be nerve-wracking though :p

mamali

if don't fluff with them or their mammoth , they are peaceful guys . i always pass them carefully . :Dragonborn:

Nuitari

Dark Luna God of Magic
I actually pity the giants. All their trying to do is herd their mammoth flocks and live peaceful lives and the WHAM!!! a strange creature starts attacking them for no reason. I mean they don't even attack as long as you don't go right up to them. Also look at their faces, they make me sad.

Moonwort

Ha Ha! No, but I remember what it was like to be terrified of them. Took one on at level 5 early on and got a rude lesson in saving and reloading and finally ran away like a beby! It was a long time before I went after one again. They get easier though.

Annageckos

I NEED giant toes, so I go after them every time I see them. I can't help it, must get giant toes. And I like to use unrelenting force on them and watch them fall down. Plus they carry a lot of gold.

DanielleLorea

in trance
When I see the picture of the Giant in the loading menu I'm like "awwww" but really I like fighting them, it's a challenge, plus they usually have good stuff on or around them.

buggegirl99

i am terrified of giants, the reason is that i watched my level 35 dad get clubbed straight into the air. i always have a follower and enough magicka, i would conjure a flame atronach, then shoot a fire ball. then i let my follower do melee while i shoot ice spikes, fireballs, and with frost and fire breath. then if there is a mammoth or my follower is down i sprint away yelling "OH MY GOD IM GONNA DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

sticky runes

i've actually been able to walk right up to giants and they've done absolutely nothing against me. Just looked at me and carried on walking casually. I don't know if that's some sort of glitch, or because they're not as aggressive towards non-human characters or something, but they'd only attack me if i attacked them or their mammoths first. Or are some giants just less angry than others?

Neriad13

Premium Member
For the longest time, I was scared stiff of giants. And I never actually got catapulted into the air by them either - it was all the videos I'd seen of that happening to other people that put the fear into me.

Once, I jumped off a cliff to my death because I thought that I was being chased by a giant. This was on my first character, a massively enchanting and smithing overpowered tank with every one-handed and heavy armor perk available, who could've taken a dragon priest single-handed by then. And I jumped off a cliff because I thought - mind you, I never turned around to look - that one was chasing me. >.<

buggegirl99

i've actually been able to walk right up to giants and they've done absolutely nothing against me. Just looked at me and carried on walking casually. I don't know if that's some sort of glitch, or because they're not as aggressive towards non-human characters or something, but they'd only attack me if i attacked them or their mammoths first. Or are some giants just less angry than others?
im a werewolf and they attack me, what are you. i think you have a glitch in your game

sticky runes

im a werewolf and they attack me, what are you. i think you have a glitch in your game
It's happened to me when i was playing as a khajit, and as an argonian. I was wandering near a giant's camp, and thought "let's go kill some giants" and i walked right up to them and they just carried on strolling. It was weird. With my other characters (redguard and wood elf) the giants attacked me as soon as i got too close. I don't know if the horseback combat update changed it or something, or because of different difficulty settings...

Nuitari

Dark Luna God of Magic
It's not glitch dear boy. It's simply that giants will not attack you unless they are provoked or you are in werewolf or vampire lord form.