• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Delusional

Connoisseur of Hallucinations
What's that, you say? Giants, those massive, lumbering mammoth herders, are our friends? What is this hearsay? I'll tell you what it is.

The moon was high in the sky as I trekked through the ravaged swamps of Eastmarch, on my way to lead the attack on Fort Amol with my Imperial brethren. However, on the way there, I was confronted by a pair of Vigilants and a Blooded Vampire who appeared to have enslaved these Vigilants.

A nasty fight ensued (I am level 12 and not necessarily role playing, but trying to avoid power/meta gaming), and I was able to deal with the two Vigilants with relative ease. However, the Vampire proved a different problem. Wanting to avoid confrontation with the Vampire in an attempt to evade contracting vampirism, I tried to stay back and handle the Vampire from a distance. Lydia charged ahead and engaged the Vampire in melee combat, but she wasn't strong enough and fell to the Vampire. However, before the Vampire could reach me, a giant rumbled across the swamps and obliterated the Vampire.

For a split second, I was scared out of my mind that the giant would come for me next and send me cartwheeling into Oblivion, but to my surprise, there was no hostile marker on my compass, and instead of charging to smash me to pieces, the giant decided he needed to scratch his back with his club as he sauntered away.

So, I have come to the conclusion, through that encounter, that giants are indeed our friends.

Skyrimosity

Mammoths, however, are indeed evil. I was fighting a dragon, and the mammoth came over there and helped out. "Cool" I thought. When the Dragon was defeated, the mammoth decided his bloodthirst had not been quenched so he then attacked me.

Point is, though the Giants may not be evil, the mammoths they herd indeed are.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Giants have, similarly, saved me from dragons on several occasions. Most notably, on the plains of Whiterun. The dragon and the giants duke it out, while I take pot shots with a crappy bow and arrow that I carry around "just in case".

At stronger levels, I enjoy the challenge the giants give me. They stand there, challenging me. I reply with a Shout! Then I rush them, weapons held high, and we fight with a ferocity unlike anyone else in Skyrim. The ground quakes as our weapons strike! And then silence, the only sound being that of the mammoths bellowing a mournful cry for its caretaker.

Yeah, I have a fondness of giants.

Cherry

Farfetch'd is judging you!
Giants certainly are our friends. Especially when trying to level Alchemy. Those Giant's Toes are good for experience. Everytime my build uses Alchemy, I tend to mercilessly hunt down every and all giants I see, because I want their toes.

Asiaxfani

My Dunmer mage has a lovely friendly giant guarding her home. The giant wandered to the grounds of Heljarchen Hall, and has been hanging around ever since. He isn't hostile, and him and Brendayn have taken down two dragons together. A charming fella, indeed. I call him Charles.

I also recall a time when my Bosmer thief Ginalee was only starting out her adventure, and made the mistake of stealing from the wrong person. She was encountered by some Hired Thugs, and since she was only on level 2, they could've smashed her to pieces in two hits. Fleeing was the only option. The thugs were surprisingly persistent, however, and every time Gin thought she'd lost them, they'd catch up with her again. So, she led them into a giant camp. The giants attacked immediately and beat the thugs in a heartbeat. They even allowed Gin to come, loot the remains and leave unharmed.

The giants are, indeed, our friends.

Delusional

Connoisseur of Hallucinations
And that's why I love the Empire.

Gigapact

Lollygagging Milk Drinker (according to guards)
Giants have also helped me in multiple things. However, as we all know, don't get close! I have misjudged the distance a few times, and they have shot me into the air like a space ship almost every single time.

Here's a somewhat funny story:

So I was roaming the valleys around Whiterun, near that giant camp. But I kept going past the camp. I found two deer, and cast fury on both. One deer killed the other. Well.... that poor surviving deer headed toward the giant camp. The giant got pissed and ran up to the deer and smacked down the earth with his club. Zoom zoom, the deer goes flying into the air, all the way up, past the clouds, until you could no longer see him. I waited, and waited, and waited, but that poor deer never returned. He is now floating up in space somewhere. It was just so cool to see something flying into space like that.

Wildroses

My Dunmer mage has a lovely friendly giant guarding her home. The giant wandered to the grounds of Heljarchen Hall, and has been hanging around ever since. He isn't hostile, and him and Brendayn have taken down two dragons together. A charming fella, indeed. I call him Charles.

It won't last! He'll turn on you! That exact same thing happened to me once. He hung around Winstead Manor for an in game week then one day as I walked out the door he snapped and chased me all the way to Morthal.

I do agree with giants being (mostly) rather friendly and benign. I'd seen a lot of Skyrim Space Program videos on YouTube before I bought the game myself and used to turn and run whenever I saw them. It was about a week of real time before I realised they were just staring at my rapidly retreating form in mild curiosity. Now I happily walk past them. I even take shortcuts through their camps and they don't care.

With mammoths, I find if I don't go near them while or after they are being attacked by monsters they won't get upset. If you don't try and help them when they are fighting they'll be fine as well. These I discovered the hard way, walking up to loot the sabrecats of pelts and teeth and shooting arrows at the sabrecats. I know I didn't hit the mammoths any of those times, so I'm quite sure this is not friendly fire.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I never attack giants, I like getting up close and looking at them on my Mage. They have their own language, and will warn you off in a dominance display of waving their club in the air, and stepping forward.

They appear to be some kind of Mer, with the pointed ears and ridges that are similar to Orcs. Their paintings and the markings on themselves seem to have some connection with Kyne, maybe. Since the very same patterns are on Spriggans.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member

It won't last! He'll turn on you! That exact same thing happened to me once. He hung around Winstead Manor for an in game week then one day as I walked out the door he snapped and chased me all the way to Morthal.
I still want a friendly, house giant :sadface:

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Attention citizenry

The giant here has been given leave to keep his camp. Please do NOT attempt to make trade, disrupt the mammoths, gawk at, or otherwise disturb the giant. Resting here is not advised. - Official Warning

There is this note, on a road sign near Steamcrag Giant's Camp. Has a dead khajiit caravan near it, so perhaps giants have been known to trade with people.

AS88

Staff member
Attention citizenry

The giant here has been given leave to keep his camp. Please do NOT attempt to make trade, disrupt the mammoths, gawk at, or otherwise disturb the giant. Resting here is not advised. - Official Warning

There is this note, on a road sign near Steamcrag Giant's Camp. Has a dead khajiit caravan near it, so perhaps giants have been known to trade with people.

Or put people who get close enough to try into orbit?

O__Dragon__O

Old Guy Joe
At higher levels.. say 25 and above I have engaged the Giants in battle, with nothing but my Hide shield and restoration.... Great way to fast level..., although I have only done this a couple of times and was guilt ridden for it and deleted my character.... Now I just walk slowly past them and loot their chests... so yeah friends indeed!
Side Note.... Mammoths from the heavens?? While trekking through the wilderness I have on more than one occasion spotted from a distance seen mammoths falling from the skies.... I know not why this happens.... but very entertaining when it does.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
I never attack giants, I like getting up close and looking at them on my Mage. They have their own language, and will warn you off in a dominance display of waving their club in the air, and stepping forward.

They appear to be some kind of Mer, with the pointed ears and ridges that are similar to Orcs. Their paintings and the markings on themselves seem to have some connection with Kyne, maybe. Since the very same patterns are on Spriggans.

I buy into this whole heartedly. That would be really cool if they were descendants of Mer and something else. Or if they, too, were cursed like the Orcs. And it makes sense they'd be related to Kyne in some way. They seem to brave the elements quite well. I don't think I've seen a giant hut or anything, right?

AS88

Staff member

^ All of this.

Would rep again but just did.

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
Giants are your friends, especially for the Skyrim Space Program.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts