• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Gandalf The Boss

Pupil of Nienna. Defender of Middle Earth
Hello there boys and girls (And what ever the rest of you are).
I'm sure you know who I am. If you don't. Well.. Might be a problem.
Anyways. I have been here for bloody ages. This boat is moving way to slower than Galadriel ever told us. Its been over ten years! We should be over this sea now but nooo. And one would think that Frodo would stop puking everywhere after a couple of weeks but nope. Ten years and still seasick. I think Bilbo had a mild stroke. He talks backwards. Elrond does not seem to care much. He just reads the same book over and over again. Galadriel tries to make excuses. Its a mess. But at least I got internet. My staff works quite well as an antenna.
Anyways. I have been sitting here thinking for a bit about how to pass the time untill we get to Valinor so I decided to answer some questions. I will answer anything about the world of Arda or Eä. (For the people who don't know what that it is the where Middle Earth is located.) I know all of the things. So please. Ask be questions! Maybe.. Whats Saurons deal? Why did he turn evil? What is he? Who's his mommy? Daddy issues? The normal things. While the questions are rolling in. I need to write down what Bilbo is saying.

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
Why did you get revived? And if you died again afterwards, would you just come back stronger again? Also, why did you hardly use ANY magic at all in the movies, and did you use more magic in the books? (I havent read them).

Gandalf The Boss

Well. Its quite simple. I am not mortal. Before I took the physical form as many of you people see and love I was a spirit. These spirits are called Maia. And when I died I went back to my spiritual state. But. I had a mission. That was given to me and the others (Saruman, Radaghast and so on). That mission was given to us by the Valar who are sort of the Gods of Middle Earth. The mission was not completed when I died and so they sent me back. The reason why I became stronger? The Valar made me the leader och the White Council of Wizards because of Sarumans betrayal. If I would have died again it is possible that my spirit would have been lost. Or, if the mission was completed I would just probobly just have stayed a spirit. You have no idea how messy this hair and beard gets after a couple of thousand years.
And my Magic? The magics in this world is very dangorous. I do have a rather big arsenal of magic but my mission was not to protect Middle Earth with the powers that I possess. But rather to make the people of Middle Earth defend themselves. But sure. If I wanted to I could create massive fireballs and cause thunderstorms but.. Wheres the fun in that?

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
Why don't you let others pass?

Gandalf The Boss

Gandalf The Boss

where does Galadriel get her dresses from, and who does her hair?
Thats a good question. I actually have no idea. I asked her though and she said that she does the hair herself but the dresses are actually very old (Before the First Age in the Years of Tears) gifts from the time when she led Rebellion of Noldor and their flight from Valinor. They seem to have been made of some very durable stuff. But she does not remember exactly who made them.
Oh! Even though she don't admited it I have seen Frodo comb her hair at night.

M'aiqaelF

Male, 32 years old, Denver area, CO
a. why is the sky blue?
b. why is water wet?

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
Hey Gandalf :D Long time listener, 1st time caller...

First of all, this is a great thread! Middle Earth and all it's wonders is massive and complex and I don't know a thing about it but I'm eager to learn.

My question is that if Sauroman (the evil wizard dude) was so powerful and basically a god of sorts like Gandalf, why did he betray them all to side with Sauron?

Gandalf The Boss

Hey Gandalf :D Long time listener, 1st time caller...

First of all, this is a great thread! Middle Earth and all it's wonders is massive and complex and I don't know a thing about it but I'm eager to learn.

My question is that if Sauroman (the evil wizard dude) was so powerful and basically a god of sorts like Gandalf, why did he betray them all to side with Sauron?

Saruman was always a bad apple. His intentions in the begining where good but power can corrupt anyone and the power that Sauron have can make anyones desire for power grow.
And what also made Saruman intressted is the fact that Sauron himself! Was just a servant of a greater evil. Sauron you see was also a Maia and Saruman belived that he could harness the power of Sauron. Saruman looked at Sauron as his equal in terms over how much they could accomplish. While most of us Wizards (Istari) ventured for about 5000 years in our physical forms around Middle Earth helping people. Saruman however hoarded machines and knowledge. The name you know is actually not our real names. Our names was given to us by the people around us. Saruman means "Man of Skill"

Gandalf The Boss

Stalker

Why were the elves not deceived by their rings of power?

Gandalf The Boss

Why were the elves not deceived by their rings of power?

The reason is very simple. They did not wear the rings. When Sauron created the One Ring and put it on his finger the Elves (Who are very wise, old and magical) felt Sauron's evil growing withing them as they wore the Rings. As soon as they felt that they took the Rings off. At the begining all of the 19 rings were for the elven folks. Sauron wanted to dominate the elven race. But as I said. The elves took their Rings off. But with that Sauron became furious of this faliure and declared open war with the elves to recover the Rings.
The elves managed to hide three rings while the rest Sauron took back and then gave Nine to the Kings of Man and Seven to the Dwarf Lords.
The power of all the rings have now faded. I was given one of them called Narya The Ring of Fire when I arrived in Middle Earth by Cirdan the Shipwright. Elrond wears Vilya and Galadriel wears Nenya.
After the first fall of Sauron when he lost the One Ring the evil within the other rings faded. So during the time when the Ring was lost these three elven rings was put to good use.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
With the Corsairs of Umbar, are they only men from Umbar? Or are they men from all over who end up sailing from Umbar, thus becoming a Corsair of Umbar?

Gandalf The Boss

With the Corsairs of Umbar, are they only men from Umbar? Or are they men from all over who end up sailing from Umbar, thus becoming a Corsair of Umbar?

The Crosairs of Umbar are indeed men from Umbar. A long time ago Umbar was part of Gondor and served as one of its most southern outpost and trade haven. Due to the fact that Umbar was located at such a distance from the main cities of Gondor it slowly turned corrupted by thieves and murderers.
After a while there was a civil war called Kin-strife (Which is a long and complicated story about marriages and lots of drama) and Umbar became its own country which became very good allies with the Harad to the east. As they where the result of their hate for Gondor they where always at war. They called themselves the Crosairs of Umbar.

Stalker

Gandolf can you provide a link of a decent map of Arda? I can't seem to find one that people don't debate it's accuracy. Preferably one that labels Middle Earth so I can get my bearings.