• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
so why do you need to level up alchemy?
The alchemy will allow you to create fortify smithing and enchantment potions that are a BIG help. You can get the numbers up very quick.

Daelon DuLac

Poisons are very useful if you use weapons.
The only issue I have with poisons is that you have to carry so many if you use them often. They're kind of a one-shot thing, although they are useful in assassination.

Iveri Sarothil

besides potions does it do anything else?

Posions are helpful. And trust me, you'll want to be able to make your own potions. It's better than hopping from town to town buying up all two of their health potions, rinse and repeat.

NiteMare

Presto Change'O !!
The only issue I have with poisons is that you have to carry so many if you use them often. They're kind of a one-shot thing, although they are useful in assassination.
They can get heavy, but they can be the difference between life and death. Poisons have saved me on several occasions. When I use a bow or sword I never leave home without them<3 . Kind of like health potions.

Nighthiker77

Potions increase destruction damage, elemental resistance, fortify weapon damage, invisibility, just as many effects as enchantment. What it allows you to do is enchant stronger for all your primary skills, and replace enchantments you don't use that often and don't have enough slots for with potions.

For example, maybe you are a warrior that really wants to 1hit a guy with a bow, pop a fortify bow damage potion, and apply a strong poison and you don't need all those perks or enchantments. It can basically replace the sneak and illusion trees if you don't use them too often. And you can just as easily buff your primary skills and run right through bosses.

It is one of the most powerful skills in the game if you have the patience for it.

And you can create much stronger potions than you can buy.

NiteMare

Presto Change'O !!
There're many ways to fix the weight burden from potions. Stamina increase or stead stone. Also heavy armor has a perk to make armor weigh nothing when wearing it :D

Iveri Sarothil

I'm almost certain the stuff you buy in stores isn't going to be as powerful as what you craft yourself - do they even sell smithing potions anywhere?

That, and even if you do console in a bunch of smithing or enchanting potions, they're definitely not going to be very powerful. Kind of a clever little cheat prevention thing.

Daelon DuLac

Potions increase destruction damage, elemental resistance, fortify weapon damage, invisibility, just as many effects as enchantment. What it allows you to do is enchant stronger for all your primary skills, and replace enchantments you don't use that often and don't have enough slots for with potions.

For example, maybe you are a warrior that really wants to 1hit a guy with a bow, pop a fortify bow damage potion, and apply a strong poison and you don't need all those perks or enchantments. It can basically replace the sneak and illusion trees if you don't use them too often. And you can just as easily buff your primary skills and run right through bosses.

It is one of the most powerful skills in the game if you have the patience for it.

Absolutely!

Daelon DuLac

I'm almost certain the stuff you buy in stores isn't going to be as powerful as what you craft yourself - do they even sell smithing potions anywhere?

That, and even if you do console in a bunch of smithing or enchanting potions, they're definitely not going to be very powerful. Kind of a clever little cheat prevention thing.
Sure! I buy smithing potions all the time and often find them as well (although I have to admit that didn't start happening until after level 30). I also by enchanting potions as, sometimes it's just easier than creating them yourself. It is rather time consuming to do all that alchemy. Plus, what the heck do you do with all the potions when you're power leveling! I'm only just cleaning out my inventory now.

Daelon DuLac

There're many ways to fix the weight burden from potions. Stamina increase or stead stone. Also heavy armor has a perk to make armor weigh nothing when wearing it :D
While I do agree with you, I am not really a fan of the potions as they don't last very long. The increases to stamina are great, but I found it was really easier to wait until I could do my own double enchantments and add it then as there are so many other things (particularly resistance) that you need on a regular basis that the amulets & rings can be used for. Not a fan of the Steed Stone. It nullifies too many of my other things. I do know about the heavy armor not weighing anything perk, but, for me, I want to go above 81st level so it's easiest for me to legendize heavy armor first since it really doesn't add very much when you have perked up armor, so I have to rebuild it all over again.

NiteMare

Presto Change'O !!
Yea the steed stone is pretty useless lol, but it is a problem solver. As to making armor legendary, if it matters I guess. I'm not to picky about it as long as my armor is maxed. Armor ranks are irrelevant, because Online-play is nonexistent, and IMO only used for prestige purposes.

Nighthiker77

Lord stone, agent of mara, and 1 good resistant magic item will have you to - 60-70% which is plenty for almost everything, plus a few potions of resist elements, nothing will hurt you much and you only used 1 enchanting slot.
Or if you aren't conjuring, atronach stone and atronach perk, 80% spell absorption with no slots used.

Nighthiker77

And more on topic, you can grab a gray blacksmith apron at Radiant Raiment to put your smithing enchantment on if you like it better than red.

berzum

Why is the alto wine always gone?
my point was if all you do in games is buy gear and don't make or earn it then you won't go far, especialy in the rpg/ mmorpg games.....and i have a career, 6 figures after taxes...so i work for a living, i didnt take short cuts, so the person who buys gear with out making/ earning it is a NOOB...flffING NOOB!

Iveri Sarothil

my point was if all you do in games is buy gear and don't make or earn it then you won't go far, especialy in the rpg/ mmorpg games.....and i have a career, 6 figures after taxes...so i work for a living, i didnt take short cuts, so the person who buys gear with out making/ earning it is a NOOB...flffING NOOB!

Oy.
Have you ever stopped to consider that perhaps it takes a good bit of time to get to the point where you're able to effectively make your own gear in Skyrim? Not a huge amount of time, but I can see why people would prefer to simply wait until their smithing skill is at a decent level before crafting their own gear. If I have the gold to spare on a new character, I might buy a few ingots and make myself Fine quality armor, but in my mind, it's a bit of a waste since you'll need those for higher level gear. You have money, you're free to spend it however you wish.

Buying gear in a game isn't 'taking a short cut', and it's a bit of a stretch (and confusing) to compare Skyrim's crafting system to real life. It's playing a game. Using the console for armor? Yes, that's taking a shortcut. But actually using the gold you get in-game to pay for the armor sold in-game? No, that's actually playing the game as intended. Sometimes vendors actually carry very nice gear, which can later be upgraded. Some people might not feel comfortable with crafting systems, especially if you're new to a game. It's easier for them to start off just buying the armor while they're still learning how crafting works. That doesn't make them a 'noob', and personally, I find the term to be an immature cop-out. Just because someone's new to something doesn't mean you're entitled to belittle them.

By the way, the smithing/alchemy/enchanting loop? Yeah. Someone had to go play the game and figure that out. Crafting in Skyrim isn't quite as simple as 'making stuff'.

Daelon DuLac

Unfortunately, you need the DLC before you can do it. I will be getting them after I move next week, but will only be making weapons (especially the bows & arrows). The armors are just to precious.
@Berzum What do you mean when you disagree with my post? Am I able to get Dragon Bone weapons w/out the DLC? (I play on PS3). Can you advise? You always have good tips.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts