Fortify Restoration Loop Poll

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Fortify Restoration Loop Fair or Not

• Its fair to use a level two fortify restoration potion since you made it with the first one

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Whisper34

I'd like to know where everyones thoughts are on the fortify restoration loop in the game. Do you think its not fair to use any fortify restoration potions to enhance your alchemy gear or are your thought some where else? Is it fair to use one fortify restoration potion on your alchemy gear to make other potions? If you thinks it fair to use one fortify restoration potion on your alchemy gear to make other potions is it then fair to use a fortify resoration that you made from that for future potion brewing? In other words is a fortify restoration potion produced from a single loop fair, we'll call it a level 2 potion? Maybe your of the mindset that since you aren't using any mods or councel commands that its not unfair at all. If the game lets you do it then its fair to loop it as often as you feel like. I'd like to hear some opinions on it.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
In a single player game the concept of fairness isn't even applicable. Fairness in gaming is a concept that requires competition between two or more players.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I know, I know, somebody is always going on about the "Fortify Restoration Loop". I have still have no idea what it is or how to use it. I will use fortify this or that in my alchemy to up smithing, 2 handed, whatever, but haven't really paid attention. It's bad enough that there's never anyone to sell anything to and that i can power up my weapons and armor so high without it now, I'm not sure if I would ever use it.

I have to agree that, since it's not a glitch and the game allows you to do it, then it must be okay.

Whisper34

Dagmar - I respectfully disagree. Take a game like solitare. You can play by the rules which is fair or you can choose to play outside the rules to win, but that is not a fair win. You can't tell somebody you won 12 games of solitare in a row which is more than they ever won in a row if you cheated to do it. Its still not fair and even a sinlgle player game does have competition involved when you compare your level of success at it to someone elses.

Whisper34

@Daelon - I won't go into the details of how to do it because you can find that on youtube, but suffice it to say you can use this loop in the game to produce potion of ridiculous proportion. For instance I have produced a Fortify Enchanting Potion of 25,000%. I haven't used it, but I did make it.

Daelon DuLac

@Daelon - I won't go into the details of how to do it because you can find that on youtube, but suffice it to say you can use this loop in the game to produce potion of ridiculous proportion. For instance I have produced a Fortify Enchanting Potion of 25,000%. I haven't used it, but I did make it.
Yikes! I think I heard that. I guess I'm just not that interested right now. Maybe when I move on to Legendary, but not right now.

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
Dagmar - I respectfully disagree. Take a game like solitare. You can play by the rules which is fair or you can choose to play outside the rules to win, but that is not a fair win. You can't tell somebody you won 12 games of solitare in a row which is more than they ever won in a row if you cheated to do it. Its still not fair and even a sinlgle player game does have competition involved when you compare your level of success at it to someone elses.

I can see what you're saying. You aren't being fair to yourself. It also hollows out the victory if you got there by taking advantage of this.

I have used it and technically it's not fair. You are using the game in a way that was unintended by the developers. You are depriving yourself of the blood, sweat and tears that comes with taking a level 1 character and progressing through the various quests to become a force to be reckoned with. It's effectively God Mode.

That being said, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. The trick is to make something powerful without making it game breaking.

Dagmar

Dagmar - I respectfully disagree. Take a game like solitare. You can play by the rules which is fair or you can choose to play outside the rules to win, but that is not a fair win.
That's not analogous. Solitaire has established rules, Skyrim does not. Without established rules the concept of fairness still remains inapplicable.
You can't tell somebody you won 12 games of solitare in a row which is more than they ever won in a row if you cheated to do it.
Yes you can but you would be lying. If you play Skyrim and complete the main questline on Legendary difficulty setting using exploits with 12 different characters and told another player you beat the vanilla game 12 times on Legendary difficulty settings you wouldn't be lying which illustates why this is such a poor analogy.
Its still not fair and even a sinlgle player game does have competition involved when you compare your level of success at it to someone elses.
Now your falsely equating one definition of fair - conforming with rules - with another - being equitable, i.e. dealing equally with all concerned. Within the context of the game there is only one player and therefore only one person of concern which brings us back to the observation that fairness doesn't apply in that context. Once you start talking about players comparing their accomplishments in the game you've departed from discussing the fairness of conduct within the game (and the concept of fairness still doesn't apply although the concept of integrity does in your example of solitaire).

Dagmar

I know, I know, somebody is always going on about the "Fortify Restoration Loop". I have still have no idea what it is or how to use it.....I have to agree that, since it's not a glitch and the game allows you to do it, then it must be okay.
It's an exploit (it's actually 2 exploits). The Fortify Restoration potion is only supposed to increase the strength of Restoration spells per the description of the alchemy effect. Instead of simply increasing the strength of spells it also increases the strength of Restoration effects. All the Fortify skill enchantments are Restoration effects so it increases the strength of Fortify Alchemy enchantments. That's exploit number 1. Potion effects are not supposed to stack but the Fortify Restoration potion effect does stack on Fortify Restoration enchantments if you unequip and equip the enchanted gear after each Fortify Restoration potion you drink. That's exploit number 2.

Daelon DuLac

It's an exploit (it's actually 2 exploits). The Fortify Restoration potion is only supposed to increase the strength of Restoration spells per the description of the alchemy effect. Instead of simply increasing the strength of spells it also increases the strength of Restoration effects. All the Fortify skill enchantments are Restoration effects so it increases the strength of Fortify Alchemy enchantments. That's exploit number 1. Potion effects are not supposed to stack but the Fortify Restoration potion effect does stack on Fortify Restoration enchantments if you unequip and equip the enchanted gear after each Fortify Restoration potion you drink. That's exploit number 2.
That is truly the most sucinct explination that I have ever seen of the Restoration Loop! Thank you so much. As a relative novice, I really am not all that familiar with many of the ins and outs of the game, but you made if infinitely easier.

While I may not use the loop, it is great to know it's there, so, in future, when I have other builds, I may be able to take advantage of it.

Thanks again!

Daelon DuLac

Luv the new profile pic. Very Tank Girl!

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
It's a single player game play it however you want to. Even if you do something "game breaking" yon always take steps to correct it.

Nighthiker77

I used it on my first character and it was nice for just exploring the game. The only thing I'd use it for now would be to reduce equipment changes. Like an alternate slot mod item with + 100 alchemy and smithing that you just wear all the time.

Eta: or to get good looking armor up with other armor I could make but don't like as much aesthetically

Whisper34

Dagmar - I'm not going to enter a protracted argument about what the definition of "fair" is and how it should be strictly used in a posed question. Its seems others on here understood the spirit of the question and were willing to entertain the discussion.

Nighthiker77 - I'm kinda with you on it that I am going to use it to produce single items no greater in power than what I can produce/purchase with multiple items that I can equip without an exploit. I just hate all that stuff cluttering up my inventory. Takes too much time to scan through it to constantly to change out gear and that is time I could be spending actually playing the game. I wish sometimes game developers would take that into account that some of us have limited time available to play and don't want so much of it wrapped up with mundane repetitive task.