PC Enchanting & Alchemy Loop Inquiry

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Jaycee

Skyrim has been around for years yet I just started playing it recently. I just want to verify and ask somethings regarding maximizing enchanting & alchemy and then smithing. Base from my research, you can do the enchanting & alchemy loop in order to make fortify smithing potion that will be use for upgrading your equipment. (I heard there's the restoration potion loop but I don't want to do any exploits or cheat.)

Note : I am playing Skyrim Legendary Edition.

So what I will be doing in order:

Requirements:
- Assume Smithing, Alchemy, & Enchanting perks are all taken
- Be a vampire and get Necromage perk from Restoration

1.) Get Seeker of Sorcery for the +10% Enchanting.
2.) Equip 4 relics of Ahzidal for the +10% Enchanting.
3.) Drink Enchanter's Elixir & Enchant 4 items with fortify alchemy.
4.) Get Seeker of Shadows for the +10% in Alchemy.
5.) Wear the enchanted items and brew fortify enchanting potion
6.) Get Seeker of Sorcery again, drink the fortify enchanting potion and enchant again 4 items.
7.) Wear the enchanted items and brew again fortify enchanting potion and repeat the loop until you reach the cap.
8.) With the seeker of sorcery, seeker of shadows, capped fortify enchanting potion, and capped 4 items with fortify alchemy: Create fortify smithing potion and enchant 4 items with fortify smithing.
9.) Equip Notched Pickaxe for +5 smithing.
10.) Wear the four enchanted items with fortify smithing, drink the fortify smithing potion and upgrade the gears of your choice.

So with that my real questions are:

1.) Did I get the order right?
2.) What is the Fortify Alchemy cap? (Legendary Edition)
3.) What is the Fortify Enchanting 'potion' cap? (Legendary Edition)
4.) What is the Fortify Smithing cap? (Legendary Edition)
5.) What is the Fortify Smithing 'potion' cap? (Legendary Edition)
6.) What is the armor and damage rating cap? (Legendary Edition)

One reason I am asking is that with so many guide on the net, where mostly are outdated; I want to verify the cap on those mentioned above and if I have gotten the alchemy / enchanting loop right.

So thank you for reading my inquiry. This is my first post on the forum. Thank you in advance for those willing to answer the questions and share their opinions. :)

Last edited:

Knowhere man

1: Looks like you're going about it right, although I'm unsure wheter the Notched Pickaxe's enchantment actually enhances smithing beyond 100. 2-4: I don't think there are any caps on Fortify Alchemy, Enchanting, or smithing, potions or othervise. However if you make crafting gear that goes up in millions, your armor rating and enchantments will go into minus. I seem to remember the armor cap being something in the 600's. If one wants to wear robes or clothes, one might cheat and make a pair of boots or gauntlets that hit the cap, and be protected as though one wore a full set, due to the way skyrim does the math on damage/armor rating. Weapon damage looks to be uncapped, or at least high enough that you can one-shot most anything in the game if you've made an OP enough weapon.

1: Looks like you're going about it right, although I'm unsure wheter the Notched Pickaxe's enchantment actually enhances smithing beyond 100. 2-4: I don't think there are any caps on Fortify Alchemy, Enchanting, or smithing, potions or othervise. However if you make crafting gear that goes up in millions, your armor rating and enchantments will go into minus. I seem to remember the armor cap being something in the 600's. If one wants to wear robes or clothes, one might cheat and make a pair of boots or gauntlets that hit the cap, and be protected as though one wore a full set, due to the way skyrim does the math on damage/armor rating. Weapon damage looks to be uncapped, or at least high enough that you can one-shot most anything in the game if you've made an OP enough weapon.
I just wanted to throw another factor in there. I know you can wear a falmer helmet and a circlet together at the same. Obviously, that will have no effect on the smithing skill, but it will jack up the alchemy skill. I know that with the original skyrim without any expansions installed, the cap on the fortify smithing and the fortify alchemy enchantments is 29 percent. It will never go higher, no matter what you do to make it. Wearing a falmer helmet, a circlet, gloves, a ring, and a necklace all with a 29 percent fortify alchemy enchantment, and if your alchemy skill is maxed out with all 5 ranks of the alchemist, the physician perk, and the benefactor perk selected, the end result is a 37 percent enchanting potion, and a 147 percent smithing potion. I have no idea what the cap is with all the expansions installed (including hearthfire) and doing everything else that was mentioned, plus my added factor of the falmer helmet and circlet being worn at the same time, but I'm going to find out with my current character. There is one black book that will give you back all your perks you have selected on any skill without making it legendary and resetting it to 15, at the expense of one dragon soul. Therefore, I will make sure I have 5 dragon souls available and do that with 2 of my skills, then commit those perk points to the needed perks in alchemy, smithing, and enchanting, (all 3 are maxed out at 100 without any perks selected, except for the first rank of enchanting, soul squeezer, and soul siphon perks) and I will find out the answer. Then, after creating all my badass gear, I will use the other 3 dragon souls to get those perks back and select the configuration my skills once had. I will reply when I find out the answer.

Last edited:
I just wanted to throw another factor in there. I know you can wear a falmer helmet and a circlet together at the same. Obviously, that will have no effect on the smithing skill, but it will jack up the alchemy skill. I know that with the original skyrim without any expansions installed, the cap on the fortify smithing and the fortify alchemy enchantments is 29 percent. It will never go higher, no matter what you do to make it. Wearing a falmer helmet, a circlet, gloves, a ring, and a necklace all with a 29 percent fortify alchemy enchantment, and if your alchemy skill is maxed out with all 5 ranks of the alchemist, the physician perk, and the benefactor perk selected, the end result is a 37 percent enchanting potion, and a 147 percent smithing potion. I have no idea what the cap is with all the expansions installed (including hearthfire) and doing everything else that was mentioned, plus my added factor of the falmer helmet and circlet being worn at the same time, but I'm going to find out with my current character. There is one black book that will give you back all your perks you have selected on any skill without making it legendary and resetting it to 100, at the expense of one dragon soul. Therefore, I will make sure I have 5 dragon souls available and do that with 2 of my skills, then commit those perk points to the needed perks in alchemy, smithing, and enchanting, (all 3 are maxed out at 100 without any perks selected, except for the first rank of enchanting, soul squeezer, and soul siphon perks) and I will find out the answer. Then, after creating all my badass gear, I will use the other 3 dragon souls to get those perks back and select the configuration my skills once had. I will reply when I find out the answer.
One other thing I forgot to mention. I know what I posted is the case for the PS3 version of skyrim that I play. I don't know about PC or any other platforms.

I just wanted to throw another factor in there. I know you can wear a falmer helmet and a circlet together at the same. Obviously, that will have no effect on the smithing skill, but it will jack up the alchemy skill. I know that with the original skyrim without any expansions installed, the cap on the fortify smithing and the fortify alchemy enchantments is 29 percent. It will never go higher, no matter what you do to make it. Wearing a falmer helmet, a circlet, gloves, a ring, and a necklace all with a 29 percent fortify alchemy enchantment, and if your alchemy skill is maxed out with all 5 ranks of the alchemist, the physician perk, and the benefactor perk selected, the end result is a 37 percent enchanting potion, and a 147 percent smithing potion. I have no idea what the cap is with all the expansions installed (including hearthfire) and doing everything else that was mentioned, plus my added factor of the falmer helmet and circlet being worn at the same time, but I'm going to find out with my current character. There is one black book that will give you back all your perks you have selected on any skill without making it legendary and resetting it to 15, at the expense of one dragon soul. Therefore, I will make sure I have 5 dragon souls available and do that with 2 of my skills, then commit those perk points to the needed perks in alchemy, smithing, and enchanting, (all 3 are maxed out at 100 without any perks selected, except for the first rank of enchanting, soul squeezer, and soul siphon perks) and I will find out the answer. Then, after creating all my badass gear, I will use the other 3 dragon souls to get those perks back and select the configuration my skills once had. I will reply when I find out the answer.
I just now did the process you guys were talking about. Apparently, the cap on doing that process with the potions is a 46 percent enchanting potion and a 185 percent smithing potion. I only had to go through the process 3 times, but then again, I was taking advantage of wearing a falmer helmet and a circlet at the same time. That is what happens on ps3 with all expansions installed. I don't know if that is the case for other platforms. My custom improved and enchanted dragonbone greatsword has a value of more than 25000 septims, which would buy proudspire manor in solitude. My matching set of dragon scale armor is worth almost the same as custom enchanted daedric armor, and provides almost the same armor rating.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts