Does anyone else have a fear of vampirism?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
A simplistic view of vampires from the developers...

this. Add in the fact that it is super-easy to prevent Vampirism in the first place, and well, you can see why I consider it a joke.

Skyrim Vampire Lords are horribly unbalanced. It would have been way cooler if they had balanced the good with a lot more bad. It would have been way more enjoyable for me. It's too easy. Plus if they had made it more difficult to function in daylight, Bloodcursed Arrows would actually have a grander purpose and Auriel's Bow would be an excellent weapon for a vampire.

Hellknight Anna

Empress of the Inferno
I believe you gentlemen are confusing what "Immortal" means...
"living forever; never dying or decaying." Now... I agree in the sense I don't think ANYTHING is immortal, not even gods. Even though they all fit the definition... ageless, living forever, never dying or decaying, along comes someone with more power than them, kills them... Not immortal anymore right?

Vampires are no different. They're still immortal living a life without end until someone (or thing) more powerful than them comes along and kills them. In the general sense and most popular folk lores vampires require the drinking the blood of the living in order to prolong their unholy existence, but such is not the case, not completely, in ES.
----------------
But what you all are arguing, is the same thing... in different view points. It's like saying "Murder is wrong, but we must kill this guy because he's going to be a great villain someday".

Vampires are by definition immortal because they don't decay, they're ageless so they're never dying, and they <can> live forever if they're cunning and powerful enough to live that long. I would even put a Lich as an immortal because it's already down to bare bones, nothing left to decay lol.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
A simplistic view of vampires from the developers...

this. Add in the fact that it is super-easy to prevent Vampirism in the first place, and well, you can see why I consider it a joke.

Skyrim Vampire Lords are horribly unbalanced. It would have been way cooler if they had balanced the good with a lot more bad. It would have been way more enjoyable for me. It's too easy. Plus if they had made it more difficult to function in daylight, Bloodcursed Arrows would actually have a grander purpose and Auriel's Bow would be an excellent weapon for a vampire.
Vampire Lords are supposed to be OP with little weakness they are called Vampire (Lords) for a reason they are not called blood drinking batmen are they, this is how vampires in ES came to be. in the year 1051E molag bal took spite on arkay and deiced to create something that would defy death he then raped one of arkay's priestess's and then shreading a drop of his own Blood upon her brow she was found by nomadic travelers but shortly died their after they decided to burn her body but as she layed in the fire she emerged as the first vampire then ripped all the traverlers apart, vampires were made with the blood of Molag Bal thus they would be expected to have the power that blood would bring they would be expected to be demigod like, Harkon and his family are Children of Coldharbour and in a sense the Children of Molag Bal, upon tuerning into VLs they were reborn as children of one of the Most powerful Gods their Is

LotusEater

I believe you gentlemen are confusing what "Immortal" means...
"living forever; never dying or decaying." Now... I agree in the sense I don't think ANYTHING is immortal, not even gods. Even though they all fit the definition... ageless, living forever, never dying or decaying, along comes someone with more power than them, kills them... Not immortal anymore right?

Vampires are no different. They're still immortal living a life without end until someone (or thing) more powerful than them comes along and kills them. In the general sense and most popular folk lores vampires require the drinking the blood of the living in order to prolong their unholy existence, but such is not the case, not completely, in ES.
----------------
But what you all are arguing, is the same thing... in different view points. It's like saying "Murder is wrong, but we must kill this guy because he's going to be a great villain someday".

Vampires are by definition immortal because they don't decay, they're ageless so they're never dying, and they <can> live forever if they're cunning and powerful enough to live that long. I would even put a Lich as an immortal because it's already down to bare bones, nothing left to decay lol.

I can see your point but where do you draw the line? If vampires are considered immortal, then is a zombie immortal as well? To me the line is drawn if you must use artificial/sacrilegious ways to achieve undeath. A lich achieves it through dark magic. A demi-lich takes it even further. Vampires either renounce God and give up their soul or they become infected by another. Zombies are reanimated. Someone that assimilates with a Borg type technology uses technology for immortality. True immortals don't operate in the physical dimension normally, like when you mention the gods from mythology and such. I don't really feel like getting into physics and space/time crap but time is only measured in the physical realm. True immortals don't really have a beginning nor an end. They are everlasting. Vampires and other undead are trapped in the physical realm where even living 10,000 years or even 1,000,000 years is still considered mortal. Vampires are well aware of the passing of years, they whine about it all the time. That criteria alone, the observance of passing years, separates undead from true immortals.

LotusEater

Vampire Lords are supposed to be OP with little weakness they are called Vampire (Lords) for a reason they are not called blood drinking batmen are they, this is how vampires in ES came to be. in the year 1051E molag bal took spite on arkay and deiced to create something that would defy death he then raped one of arkay's priestess's and then shreading a drop of his own Blood upon her brow she was found by nomadic travelers but shortly died their after they decided to burn her body but as she layed in the fire she emerged as the first vampire then ripped all the traverlers apart, vampires were made with the blood of Molag Bal thus they would be expected to have the power that blood would bring they would be expected to be demigod like, Harkon and his family are Children of Coldharbour and in a sense the Children of Molag Bal, upon tuerning into VLs they were reborn as children of one of the Most powerful Gods their Is

All I know is that every time I play a Vampire Lord I feel insulted at how easy it is to achieve and maintain. Not to mention how easy it makes combat. Vampire Lord is the biggest crutch in the game imo.

tx12001

All I know is that every time I play a Vampire Lord I feel insulted at how easy it is to achieve and maintain. Not to mention how easy it makes combat. Vampire Lord is the biggest crutch in the game imo.
look for you it may seem eazy but put yourself in your character shoestry to man up when yoru about to get bitten on the neck and drained of blood by this 7 foot tall monster with a mouth full of sharp teeth and 2 large fangs

J

Jeremius

look for you it may seem eazy but put yourself in your character shoestry to man up when yoru about to get bitten on the neck and drained of blood by this 7 foot tall monster with a mouth full of sharp teeth and 2 large fangs

look, the point is that Vampirism, no matter how you spin it, is a joke and lost its fangs. I bet one could play the entire game being a Vampire Lord without ever using the form.

the form is too easy and the most useful benefit is always on. Same with lycanthropy. You want a challenge? You can't have either of those.

Hellknight Anna

Empress of the Inferno
@Lotus I can see your point too but by definition you can't have the line at zombie... as Tx previously stated a zombie is a rotting corpse. that falls under "decaying" and therefore does not lie within the "immortal" definition. And to quote a famous vampire >D "There is no such thing as an immortal." - Alucard (Hellsing).

I think that could sum up ALL of our arguments in one statement. Even as I pointed out even gods could die, vampires, demons, angels, if provided with the means of someone or something stronger than them to kill them; however, if left alone to their vices they could live forever thus "immortal". One being Omnipotent and invulnerable however is a different story haha.

J

Jeremius

Bloodwitch Anna: Actually, originally a Vampire did "die" (As far back as daggerfall), so they could be considered "undead". Still does not help with the fact that Vampirism is so easy to counter in the TES series, in that the best way to counter it is to not become one (doing any action that removes diseases).

tx12001

Bloodwitch Anna: Actually, originally a Vampire did "die" (As far back as daggerfall), so they could be considered "undead". Still does not help with the fact that Vampirism is so easy to counter in the TES series, in that the best way to counter it is to not become one (doing any action that removes diseases).
where does it say in her post that vampires "dont" die?

J

Jeremius

where does it say in her post that vampires "dont" die?

Where does it say that she said they "do" die?

Hellknight Anna

Empress of the Inferno
Yeah I never said they don't die. (Well the base 'mortal' form dies to <become> a vampire but a vampire if one is cunning and powerful enough can live forever - as I stated before also relating other powerful beings like the daedra and aedra themselves.

And so what if it's easy to counter? Vampirism is a matter of choice. Even if the disease was inflicted upon you, you have the choice of curing yourself or letting it take hold. Of course the disease isn't true vampirism, as Harkon says. From what I've seen Vampire Lords seem to be <some> of the most powerful creatures on Nirn... given the chance to have their own undead horde, blood magic to shield themselves and dominate life, but they're also not stupid. By doing so blatant and obvious acts they'd attract the attention of those who would rise up and become powerful heroes and thus bring a chance of ruin to their reign.

So Vampire Lords instead prefer to sit quietly in the shadows and grow in power secretly away from the eyes of would-be heroes. "What you don't know, won't hurt you" right >D

J

Jeremius

Yeah I never said they don't die. (Well the base 'mortal' form dies to <become> a vampire but a vampire if one is cunning and powerful enough can live forever - as I stated before also relating other powerful beings like the daedra and aedra themselves.

And so what if it's easy to counter? Vampirism is a matter of choice. Even if the disease was inflicted upon you, you have the choice of curing yourself or letting it take hold. Of course the disease isn't true vampirism, as Harkon says. From what I've seen Vampire Lords seem to be <some> of the most powerful creatures on Nirn... given the chance to have their own undead horde, blood magic to shield themselves and dominate life, but they're also not stupid. By doing so blatant and obvious acts they'd attract the attention of those who would rise up and become powerful heroes and thus bring a chance of ruin to their reign.

So Vampire Lords instead prefer to sit quietly in the shadows and grow in power secretly away from the eyes of would-be heroes. "What you don't know, won't hurt you" right >D

Technically they do not live if they die, right.

Hellknight Anna

Empress of the Inferno
"live" "exist" whatever. It's the same thing really. There's people in the real world that are alive and don't really "live". To "just remain alive" isn't truly living.

J

Jeremius

"live" "exist" whatever. It's the same thing really. There's people in the real world that are alive and don't really "live". To "just remain alive" isn't truly living.

and you can't truly live if you are technically dead, right?

Hellknight Anna

Empress of the Inferno
You're just going in circles... First off... vampires aren't dead. (at least the ones with the disease). Vampire Lords are <kinda> dead their souls replaced with demons from Oblivion or so I'm told. So that would make them... UN-dead. Not dead. Dead has absolutely no life... and yet Vampire Lords have life in a sense. They have life force, like any living creature does.. therefore... they. can. live.

J

Jeremius

You're just going in circles... First off... vampires aren't dead. (at least the ones with the disease). Vampire Lords are <kinda> dead their souls replaced with demons from Oblivion or so I'm told. So that would make them... UN-dead. Not dead. Dead has absolutely no life... and yet Vampire Lords have life in a sense. They have life force, like any living creature does.. therefore... they. can. live.

Undead, Dead, same difference to me. Both are void of true living souls.

Hellknight Anna

Empress of the Inferno
your argument contradicts itself. Souls do not live :p but are they dead? or undead? or something else? Now we're just getting into philosophical discussions. Vampires have souls, just not the one they were born with...

tx12001

your argument contradicts itself. Souls do not live :p but are they dead? or undead? or something else? Now we're just getting into philosophical discussions. Vampires have souls, just not the one they were born with...
actually that makes sense to how they could be souless and soul trappable at the same time, when you cast a soul trap your trapping the demon within them not a soul