Spoiler Do you feel bad at all now that you know where all those trapped souls go

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I read up on it and apparently only those soul trapped in a black soul gem go to the soul cairn, and at first I was like, "We'll at least its not everyone", but then I remembered that all humanoids/humans you soul trap are black souls. So essentially you are damning that person to the soul cairn all so you can get a 5 point fire damage enchantment on that dagger of yours. I guess if my character wasn't an evil mage intent on sewing havoc and chaos and taking over the world and devouring innocent souls, I might almost feel bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildroses

Yes I feel bad! After the soul cairn I stopped completely using black soul gems, I never became a vampire, and I never ask Serana to cure herself as I know she'd have to send someone there to do so.

Dradin

Tribunal Temple Acolyte
No.

If I'm playing a good character, then whoever I damned to the Soul Cairn deserved it. If I'm evil, no remorse would be there to begin with.

Besides, there are worse plains of oblivion to be stuck on.

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
It doesn't really bother me more than having killed a lot of people. Most of the people I would have trapped were trying to kill me anyway so they got what was coming to them.

ZeroDragon

Bring me my broadsword, and clear understanding.
The only people I've killed who weren't trying to kill me were during the Dark Brotherhood quests. So for those not during the DB - shouldn't have tried to kill me - you got what you deserved. Being an assassin in the DB suggests a lack or at least a limited set of morals so the assassin does what is needed to get the job done and get paid.

No.

If I'm playing a good character, then whoever I damned to the Soul Cairn deserved it. If I'm evil, no remorse would be there to begin with.

Besides, there are worse plains of oblivion to be stuck on.

Not really. I mean there might be one I'm not fully informed on, but none of them effectively damn you for eternity when all you wanted to do was go to Sovengarde. If you are in there alive and you die, your soul leaves goes wherever it has to go unless you bound yourself to a particular Daedric Prince which would be all your fault. Being a soul in the soul cairn means that you are there forever to be fed on by the ideal masters or used as currency or whatever they wish to do with your soul.

The only people I've killed who weren't trying to kill me were during the Dark Brotherhood quests. So for those not during the DB - shouldn't have tried to kill me - you got what you deserved. Being an assassin in the DB suggests a lack or at least a limited set of morals so the assassin does what is needed to get the job done and get paid.

What, did you like soul trap everyone you assassinated and avoid stealth all together or do you not remember that only people soul trapped with black soul gems go there.

Toxius

Frost Wolf
I thought I recognized somebody from oblivion at one point in the Soul cairn, hell I could have contributed a good lot to that place.
Anybody miss the days where you had to create these black soul gems instead of finding them randomly placed in chests?

Also to note, anybody that attacks me deserves it.
Hell though, if you really feel bad about it you can always just soul trap Dremora (I don't think anybody empathizes with them).

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
I'm not a big magic user, but I do tend to use soul gems and the like. I actually purposely save black soul gems for people. If I think they're a particularly evil character or I have an axe to grind... it's like a really nasty Phantom Zone. Like Mercer Frey or those drunken revelers that give you the Charmed Necklace. People that just deserve to suffer. ;)

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Don't feel bad in the least for using Black Soul Gems. Good or Evil character, it's the same. Generally I only kill those that deserve it anyway (anyone who I'm required to, if DB or TG or any other faction or bandits, mages, etc... that are trying to kill me) so I don't feel any guilt at all.

Aminals, them I feel guilty about killing and by deep in to the game, I almost never kill them or trap their souls. They didn't do anything that didn't come naturally to them. If I need petty, lesser or common souls I'll go kill some drauger or skeletons.

All in all, it ain't the people I have a problem killing, 99% of the time they deserve it, or it's part of the job, but the animals? What did they ever do to me? (well, besides try to eat me, but I can solve that with Kynes Peace, pacify or that master level spell that calms down the entire crowd (Harmony?).

sticky runes

You mean those bandits and barbarians who attack traveling merchants and farmers, and those sorcerers who kidnap people and use them for magical experiments? F#ck no. The soul cairn is too good for the scum of Skyrim.

I thought I recognized somebody from oblivion at one point in the Soul cairn, hell I could have contributed a good lot to that place.
Anybody miss the days where you had to create these black soul gems instead of finding them randomly placed in chests?

Also to note, anybody that attacks me deserves it.
Hell though, if you really feel bad about it you can always just soul trap Dremora (I don't think anybody empathizes with them).

I liked being able to make it but hated doing it when I was a vampire

Paws the Gryphon

The Only Gryphon Here
As someone who loves enchanting things, I really don't give a second thought as to what happens to the souls of those I kill for enchanting purposes. Although, I don't necessarily use black soul gems, so I generally keep to trolls, draugr, and such. Since they try to kill me first, I don't empathize with them at all. They deserve it!

Toxius

Frost Wolf
As someone who loves enchanting things, I really don't give a second thought as to what happens to the souls of those I kill for enchanting purposes. Although, I don't necessarily use black soul gems, so I generally keep to trolls, draugr, and such. Since they try to kill me first, I don't empathize with them at all. They deserve it!

Just imagine some Necromancer casting soul trap on you when you're about to die, and you awaken in the Soul cairn. How'd you feel?

I would so feel bummed.

Daelon DuLac

Just imagine some Necromancer casting soul trap on you when you're about to die, and you awaken in the Soul cairn. How'd you feel?

I would so feel bummed.
Was I trying to kill him or had he taken me prisoner and then killed me only for my soul? Of course I would feel bad if it was done with evil intent, but, if I was being a complete a**hat and just trying to kill him/her then, being a pragmatist, I would just accept that I got what I deserved.

I don't go out of my way to fill black soul gems. If it happens that I have them on hand and am defending myself and happen to kill someone and capture their souls, all the better.

Question though: Who uses the Soul Trap spell? It's incredibly inaccurate, slow and clunky to use. Just use a weapon that has the enchantment to collect souls. Who has the time to take a mauling to collect a soul.

Paws the Gryphon

The Only Gryphon Here

I would so feel bummed.

Well, given how all the necromancers I encounter aren't really smart enough to cast soul trap... I really wouldn't know how that would feel, lol

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Question though: Who uses the Soul Trap spell? It's incredibly inaccurate, slow and clunky to use. Just use a weapon that has the enchantment to collect souls. Who has the time to take a mauling to collect a soul.

I do.

Like I mentioned, I only fill black soul gems with people I want to "punish" or that I think truly deserve to go to the Soul Cairn. So, if I'm planning on capturing their soul, I'll cast Soul Trap on them. I do this so I don't mistakenly capture an average bandit loser or something.

I do enchant weapons to collect souls for me, but not if I have empty black soul gems on my person. I had on character that carried a spare weapon with the enchantment, though. That was late in the game and I had like... 15 empty black soul gems.

Daelon DuLac

I do.

Like I mentioned, I only fill black soul gems with people I want to "punish" or that I think truly deserve to go to the Soul Cairn. So, if I'm planning on capturing their soul, I'll cast Soul Trap on them. I do this so I don't mistakenly capture an average bandit loser or something.

I do enchant weapons to collect souls for me, but not if I have empty black soul gems on my person. I had on character that carried a spare weapon with the enchantment, though. That was late in the game and I had like... 15 empty black soul gems.
Interesting. That gives me an idea for RP. My characters love enchanting, but kind of dismiss the seriousness of the black soul gem. A hands-on approach to their use might actually be an excellent RP opportunity. That way you would have to take it seriously. Of course, since I always just fall back on wanton murder without reason (unless I'm getting paid to do it!), that might be a tough one for me. :)

ZeroDragon

Bring me my broadsword, and clear understanding.

What, did you like soul trap everyone you assassinated and avoid stealth all together or do you not remember that only people soul trapped with black soul gems go there.

If my enchanter assassin needs a black soul gem filling, he will fill it. It doesn't mean he's not stealthy when he kills. On the other hand, my redguard adventurer does not soul trap any creature.

I do.

So tell me, would you send the Windhelm serial killer to the Soul Cairn?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts