• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Am I the only one that destroyed the dark brotherhood?
I initially started the dark brotherhood quest after people recommended doing so because it's "funner" or you "make more money" but after dropping a gargoyle on some bride's head I finally told myself.. Nah, this isn't me. I know it's just a game, but it's an RPG, and willfully playing a character that is totally the opposite of my character was ruining my immersion. So I loaded an older save and chopped that astrid biatch to pieces and stole her stuff including the key, let the captives go and happily skipped out the door, I don't care how much more money I would make with the dark brotherhood, it isn't worth playing a piece of plops that kills innocent people for dumb unjustified reasons for a little coin, that isn't what my rebel nord stands for. Besides.. I have a lot more fun playing the peter pan role stealing from the rich snobs anyway.

Koala Jack

If it bleeds.
No, Skyrim is a horrible place filled with horrible people.

Also, if you pay attention to the quest dialogue, half the kills aren't for money. The point of the questline is to bring the DB back into it's former glory. This is done by killing a high profile "impenetrable" target (emperor.)
My final thoughts.

1. The bride deserved it. She was an imperial and that is enough reason for me.

2. In regards to your dislike of killing innocent people...

If you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
No one is innocent. They all deserve to die. If I can make a profit doing it, then all the better.

The one that gets on my nerves is the Thieves Guild. Right from the very beginning you're breaking in to somebody's strongbox and setting them up for jail time all to please some rich b****. Sheesh. And I like Riften! There are some interesting people there.

Enomer

```

Last edited:
No, Skyrim is a horrible place filled with horrible people.

Also, if you pay attention to the quest dialogue, half the kills aren't for money. The point of the questline is to bring the DB back into it's former glory. This is done by killing a high profile "impenetrable" target (emperor.)
My final thoughts.

1. The bride deserved it. She was an imperial and that is enough reason for me.

2. In regards to your dislike of killing innocent people...

If you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

It is a horrible place filled with horrible people, so why should I contribute to it? The bride in solitude if you talk to her seems pretty neutral on imperials/stormcloaks, she isn't prejudice or why else would she be marrying into a stormcloak family? I think she was just born into an imperial family, I don't think that justifies her death. I have no problem hacking dozens of imperial/thalmor/bandit's..etc's heads off if they provoke me.

I haven't completed the DB questline but I disagree, I'm sure it's all about money. The only reason astrid wants the brotherhood restored to it's former "glory" (whatever they think that means) is so they can be more feared/recognized and thus get more contracts. Why would I want to help restore that riff-raff excuse for a cult anyway? If I want to kill the emperor id do it for myself, I don't worship anyone especially a deity as repulsive as this "Sithis".

Don't get me wrong, I dig the whole assassin thing, I just simply don't like the dark brotherhood or what they stand for. I'm playing a dude with the soul of a motha ferkin dragon :Dragonborn: I don't need to take orders from some bag of bones in a box (or flesh for that matter), but maybe you're the submissive type, I could see how Astrid could be appealing in that aspect. :D

Anyways, I was just curious how many other people chose the same route I did, as it seems the lot less frequent path, I'm just glad Bethesda didn't force me to join that crappy cult and let me destroy them instead. :)

Nighthiker77

Can you still get the ancient shrouded set if you destroy the dark brotherhood? Windshear is my favorite unique weapon so I usually join.

Destroying the DB does get you a nice reward from the Imperials.

Pretty Vampires

Bunny Foo Foo
but maybe you're the submissive type, I could see how Astrid could be appealing in that aspect. :D

I'm sure the only people not complaining about Bethesda's forcing the DB to submit to everybody are the submissive/cuckold types.

I'm not talking about anyone specific.

Nighthiker77

Destroying the DB does get you a nice reward from the Imperials.

Is it just the gold? I'll have to destroy them at some point when I play a good character, but I'll definitely miss the ancient shrouded cowl and Windshear. It would be nice if you got an endgame-worthy item for destroying them.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Is it just the gold? I'll have to destroy them at some point when I play a good character, but I'll definitely miss the ancient shrouded cowl and Windshear. It would be nice if you got an endgame-worthy item for destroying them.

I mean it would, but then it wouldn't be fair working your way through the Dark Brotherhood questline, and learning you could get as good a stuff by doing one mission. I think it would be cool if you get sent to the emporere and start working for him directly as his secret police people. I forgot their name but you know the P.O.

UnfaithfulServant

Silence, my brother...
After playing for my first time, which I had no idea Astrid was coming for me after I killed Grelod, I found the Dark Brotherhood questline quite eccentric. I became severely attached to Astrid and was very sad after she died. The DB is nothing like the Thieves' Guild. From what I understand, they just want to return to being filthy rich and making the woman in the control, Maven Blackbriar, satisfied. I don't like that. The DB has no dictator, they live by moral and code.

The destroy the dark brotherhood quest was disappointing to say the least, very short and almost no dialog so I could see why some would rather join than destroy them, I think I got 6,000 septums for destroying them. (Maybe 7-8,000 can't remember was very tired). I might not have made as much coin in the long run, but the coin I did make I made a lot faster, which will be useful to me for smithing, and the time I saved not having to run here run there taking commands from some old dead windbag I can use to do other things instead, and I'm staying true to the character I initially set out to be, so it's acceptable to me, plenty of other quests to do!

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
After playing for my first time... I became severely attached to Astrid and was very sad after she died... The DB has no dictator, they live by moral and code.

Dark Brotherhood has no dictator cause you get to kill Astrid. Personally as an Dark Brotherhood enthusiast I wasn't overjoyed, but I wasn't mourning her loss. We will see in later games but seeing how they brought back Lucien Lachance back in spirit ;) I will not be surprised if Astrid doesn't get brought back. She was admittedly trying to protect our brotherhood, but she forgot the old ways and tried to hinder the re-emergence of a listener and truly bring back the Brotherhood.

Koala Jack

If it bleeds.
It is a horrible place filled with horrible people, so why should I contribute to it? The bride in solitude if you talk to her seems pretty neutral on imperials/stormcloaks, she isn't prejudice or why else would she be marrying into a stormcloak family? I think she was just born into an imperial family, I don't think that justifies her death. I have no problem hacking dozens of imperial/thalmor/bandit's..etc's heads off if they provoke me.

I haven't completed the DB questline but I disagree, I'm sure it's all about money. The only reason astrid wants the brotherhood restored to it's former "glory" (whatever they think that means) is so they can be more feared/recognized and thus get more contracts. Why would I want to help restore that riff-raff excuse for a cult anyway? If I want to kill the emperor id do it for myself, I don't worship anyone especially a deity as repulsive as this "Sithis".

Don't get me wrong, I dig the whole assassin thing, I just simply don't like the dark brotherhood or what they stand for. I'm playing a dude with the soul of a motha ferkin dragon :Dragonborn: I don't need to take orders from some bag of bones in a box (or flesh for that matter), but maybe you're the submissive type, I could see how Astrid could be appealing in that aspect. :D

Anyways, I was just curious how many other people chose the same route I did, as it seems the lot less frequent path, I'm just glad Bethesda didn't force me to join that crappy cult and let me destroy them instead. :)

Did you join the Dark Brotherhood expecting Shadowmere to be MLP? Let me tell you about this time I was in Vietnam. I said to myself "God damn I'm really good at killing!"

I joined the Dark Brotherhood.

"Dark- arising from or showing evil traits or desires : Evil <The dark powers that lead to war>"

I wasn't expecting it to be rainbows and sparkles, I was set on doing some assassinations, but most of the quests they had me doing right from the start just made me feel disgusted with myself, maybe I'm being a little prejudice since I didn't complete the whole quest but I was hoping for something with more of a purpose rather than kill this random person kill that random person (here's your chump change), then kill an emperor so we can make more contracts, what's the point of the night mother even? It isn't like she gets a cut of the money. Idk it's all a bit too blazay to me. I'll stick to the main quest and other quests, to each their own. I hope if the dark brotherhood is in the next elder scrolls it's better. I also hate jesters. The only reason I killed Grelod is because she actually deserved it, and there was no other way to resolve the problem. Rest in pieces dark brotherhood. :cowboy:

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
I wasn't expecting it to be rainbows and sparkles, I was set on doing some assassinations, but most of the quests they had me doing right from the start just made me feel disgusted with myself, maybe I'm being a little prejudice since I didn't complete the whole quest but I was hoping for something with more of a purpose rather than kill this random person kill that random person (here's your chump change), then kill an emperor so we can make more contracts, what's the point of the night mother even? It isn't like she gets a cut of the money. Idk it's all a bit too blazay to me. I'll stick to the main quest and other quests, to each their own. I hope if the dark brotherhood is in the next elder scrolls it's better. I also hate jesters. The only reason I killed Grelod is because she actually deserved it, and there was no other way to resolve the problem. Rest in pieces dark brotherhood. :cowboy:

lol I suppose Skyrim's Dark Brotherhood was pretty light on the lore. But you seriously didn't know the Dark Brotherhood is basically a Cult of Assassins that happens to accept payment to go murder people? Do you even play the Elder Scrolls lol all jokes aside the dark brotherhood and even the thieves guild have a "cult" or Niche following. A mage can skirt by the Companions or Fighters guild, and a warrior can work through the college. But you have to have a stealth character to really experience Theives guild and the Dark Brotherhood.

lol I suppose Skyrim's Dark Brotherhood was pretty light on the lore. But you seriously didn't know the Dark Brotherhood is basically a Cult of Assassins that happens to accept payment to go murder people? Do you even play the Elder Scrolls lol all jokes aside the dark brotherhood and even the thieves guild have a "cult" or Niche following. A mage can skirt by the Companions or Fighters guild, and a warrior can work through the college. But you have to have a stealth character to really experience Theives guild and the Dark Brotherhood.

Sadly no, never heard of morrowind until recently, and oblivion I played for the first time a couple years ago on a crappy laptop on medium-low settings and never sank myself into it. I got skyrim as a gift a year ago and only recently started really playing it and got the RPG fever, so I suppose it's partially my fault for not knowing was I was getting into but at first killing astrid as an option slipped my mind.

I do have a stealth character, I completed the thieves guild questline, and I agree with the other guy a few of the things they had me do urked me a little, and I'm not especially fond of maven black-briar but I wasn't urked enough to slaughter them all like the DB, the thieves guild questline was overall enjoyable.

My intentions for this thread was not to create an argument, but it seems you are right, there is a bit of a cult following, I might have pissed on someone's sweetroll or two. :D

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Yeah Its one of those things. I wasn't starting an argument those were just statements, though the joke at the beginning was really bad.

But there definitely is at times a roleplay difference or natural adversion to things. Though the real reason the majority like the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quests is the set pieces there are. You talked of dropping the gargoyle on the Bride, well you could also sniper her and there is even a unique bow waiting for you are the sniper spot. So I mean Its to bad you don't like our little family :p But in the end who can dictate what is right or wrong in these playthroughs. Unless its Imperial or Stromcloaks... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts