• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Hunfar

I'm always getting bored of my builds, I have around seven atm and I just switch back and forth depending on who I feel like playing.

Raven

The guy in my avatar is about the 6th or 7th (and current) build of my 1 handed heavy armoured warrior. I'm absolutely crap at perk choices, hence so many revisions of Raven but I just get tired of the faces after a while too lol
I've done the same with my dunmer mage. Strangely I've kept my Bosmer thief/archer since I decided to make her, I haven't remade her at all

Squirrel_killer-: I mean, I do/did put spare perks into Light Armor and the such. I don't like to save perks unless I've actually planned the build out, step-by-step. This is the "build" I was planning on using:

77 / 80 Perks
Archery
Overdraw (5/5) -> Eagle Eye -> Steady Hand (1/2) -> Power Shot -> Quick Shot -> Bullseye
Sneak
Stealth (5/5) -> Muffled Movement -> Backstab -> Deadly Aim -> Light Foot -> Silent Roll -> Assassin's Blade
One-Handed
Armsman (5/5) -> Fighting Stance -> Hack and Slash (3/3) -> Dual Flurry (2/2)-> Critical Charge
Light Armor
Agile Defender (5/5) -> Custom Fit -> Unhindered -> Wind Walker -> Deft Movement
Alchemy
Alchemist (5/5) -> Poisoner -> Concentrated Poison -> Snakeblood -> Purity
Smithing
Steel Smithing -> Elven Smithing -> Advanced Armors -> Glass Smithing -> Dragon Smithing + Arcane Smithing
Enchanting
Enchanter (5/5) -> Insightful Enchanter -> Corpus Enchanter -> Extra Effect
Pickpocket
Light Fingers (5/5) -> Night Thief -> Poisoned -> Cutpurse -> Misdirection
Destruction
Novice Destruction -> Apprentice Destruction -> Rune Master

This build was more or less just supposed to be about assessing the situation and proceeding from there. The rune traps for luring larger groups (like built in oil slicks)... The pickpocket perks were mostly for fun... I thought it'd be amusing to sneak behind someone, steal their weapon, then animation assassinate them with it and then leave it on the ground beside them, covered in blood.

wandervon: This appeals to me greatly and I've seen/read some narrations that did this. Masterful. But I don't think my machine could handle Skyrim, to be honest... "/

Haru17: I don't have an issue keeping track of them, but I also never really have more than one. When I reroll, I typically save over the previous character...
You should reconsider Stealth and Enchanting. You said that one of your problems with previous characters was the game became too easy. I think these skills are over powered, even for master difficulty.

From what you have posted it sounds like you want to play a Dunmer that cannot one- hit everything. I would suggest something along the lines of a battlemage, maybe consider blocking, illusion ( crowd control ). I only bring up blocking because i found blocking, bashing, and in between landing hits really, dynamic and not especially powerful. Btw, you should also reconsider dual wield, its also overpowered. You really have to put in a lot of effort and thought to keep Skyrim from being too easy.

Im unsure why you have an issue w/ Dunmer lore. If its Civil War related, it wouldnt be unreasonable for a Dunmer to join either side. He/ She could be cunning- feigning loyalty and conviction to ensure a place in Skyrim for the Dunmer or an idealist- looking to prove himself in battle to earn the Nords' respect. It would be cool if a Dark Elf became the savior of Skyrim, the Dunmer being hated by many of the Nords and all. Maybe the Red Mountain disaster is fate setting the Dragonborn on the path to stop Alduin? It sounds like you can easily come up with tons of ways to make a Dunmer fit into the storylines.

Alissa DeWitt

Beer Wench
Yeah, I suffer from this too. I would seem to find reasons to restart. 'Oh with how I'm role playing my character now I probably shouldn't have done that first quest that way'. Re-roll. 'Maybe I should have tried khajiit instead of bosmer.' Re-roll. 'No, I still like bosmer better.' Re-roll. 'Oh, I just downloaded a better version of that mod I've been using. I should start over so the new mod doesn't react with the old save.' Re-roll. I don't know why I kept doing it. I just had to re-roll because I had been in school and I had a 5 month lag between the last time I played. I had no idea where I was.

Anyway, I am trying to put all my anal retentivness aside this time because I want to see how the main quest ends (damn it!). Nice to know I'm not the only one out there like this.

Katastrophe

King of Tales
Bethesda had made spears, but they weren't added to the final game unfortunately.
This saddens me greatly.

And Fighter Hayabusa it's not that I don't want to one-hit everything... I definitely feel like coming up behind someone and slitting their throat should be a viable option, as well as a single arrow dropping you. My issue is more with the stupid AI. It's too easy to lure enemies... honestly, if I'm guarding a room and I hear a load thunk in some dark corner, I'm not gonna run over to that EXACT spot, stop and stare for half an hour, and then look to discover where that arrow came from. And god forbid my walking cause more thunks like lethal breadcrumbs. At that point, I'm raising an alarm. Or maybe I just watched my buddy slump over dead with an arrow out of the side of his skull. I'm not gonna run over to his body and stand around... perhaps if that area between sneaking and detected didn't allow sneak bonuses? Obviously, the guards know what's up... they're on alert, they're tense, they're not going to just say "Oh, poor Bjorn, I knew thee well... back to my post!"

The only part of Dunmer lore I have an issue with is if someone segregated my people, I would not help them in any way. Sure you could take the moral highroad of "I'll show you" and become their hero, but I'm 99% Ulfric would just say "Thanks, now back to the Grey Quarter with you!" Also, my previous assassin build was extremely one dimensional... even though it's fun, it had no way to spice it up, and that's because I gimped myself to be like that. I point my first 5 points into Health to make BFB a little easier. After that, everything went into Stamina, simply so that I would never run out when needing to zoom in with my bow, perform a roll, or sprint away. Perhaps that really was my big issue, because it also caused me to be a hoarder...

Alissa DeWitt I've done that last one of "Oh, I haven't played in a long time? Re-roll" for damn near every game. Mine is mostly like "Oh, that NPC looks cool" Re-roll. "You know know what'd be really fun to play...?" Re-roll.

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
This saddens me greatly.

And Fighter Hayabusa it's not that I don't want to one-hit everything... I definitely feel like coming up behind someone and slitting their throat should be a viable option, as well as a single arrow dropping you. My issue is more with the stupid AI. It's too easy to lure enemies... honestly, if I'm guarding a room and I hear a load thunk in some dark corner, I'm not gonna run over to that EXACT spot, stop and stare for half an hour, and then look to discover where that arrow came from. And god forbid my walking cause more thunks like lethal breadcrumbs. At that point, I'm raising an alarm. Or maybe I just watched my buddy slump over dead with an arrow out of the side of his skull. I'm not gonna run over to his body and stand around... perhaps if that area between sneaking and detected didn't allow sneak bonuses? Obviously, the guards know what's up... they're on alert, they're tense, they're not going to just say "Oh, poor Bjorn, I knew thee well... back to my post!"
I agree the stealth AI is poor. One game I'm excited for is Dishonored. I'm also pumped for the new Thief game coming out. I love stealth based games and game play and with a third of, what I believe to be, the default arch-types of TES series being stealth based I would've expected a better stealth AI.

The arch-types are:

• Warrior
  • Spellsword
  • Mage
  • Nightblade
  • Thief
  • Assassin
  • Warrior
  • Spellsword
  • Mage
Notes:​
I double listed some Arch-types to show how they relate to the others. The bold arch-types are the 'pure' arch-types, while the italic arch-types are the 'mixed' arch-types, and thus contain the features from the pure arch-types above and below them. Jack-of-all-trades was not included in the list since it can not have its relationship to the other arch-types shown without out a more complex diagram. The underlined arch-types inherently contain stealth aspects. I understand there are countless other popular arch-types that fit in among the different arch-types list, I neglected to list these on purpose since they are "shades of gray" between the listed arch-types. These are not builds since a build involves specific perks and equipment and multiple other aspects. Arch-types are simply skill focuses while neglecting specific perks and equipment.​

But now we are getting very off topic. However I agree the AI needs a lot of work to better fit with a stealth play-style.

BoT, the main reasons I mulligan so much are because of the way I play-through. I'm a completionist, but not in the sense of doing it all with 1 character. It's literally impossible, if you want to try both sides of the Civil War, or both endings
with, and without killing Paarthy.
There's also several points where your decisions, and quest order alter dialog options, and availibility (not as many as I would like.)

So, to start I've done builds with all 10 races, and 3 general Classes. (Combat, magic, and Stealth.) I've also done all the quest Arcs at least 3 ways. A given adventure can go a lot different if done straight forward, evasively, or by stealth/assassination. All these options are what makes a game like this re-playable. I don't "reroll" (there's no dice, and very little random involved) whenever my build didn't turn out exactly as I planned. I always Save before Leveling Up, just in case the choice made doesn't work out as planned, or I think of something I could have better spent it on. This saves me the trouble of going back to the beginning, and starting over from scratch.

For those of you on PC, I respectfully suggest you make 2 saves, one standing in front of Hadvar, the other Ralof, before earning any experience. That way, you can simple `showracemenu` to change your avatar, and name. Which door you chose has less to do with who's side you're going to pick in the CW than what kind of build I'm going to make. Ralof is better if you're going for Heavy Armor, because right out the gate, you can loot a full set from that Bitch Captain. Archers also get more arrows from the imperials down in the basement. If you want to do 2H, you're better off buddying up with Hadvar, because when the gate drops, you have your choice of 2 Stormcloaks to loot. Also, Smitsh get access to Alvor's Ingots without waiting for nightfall to steel them without getting caught. (If you use them, they lose the [stolen] tag.)

Jaeger

Squirrel_killer-: I mean, I do/did put spare perks into Light Armor and the such. I don't like to save perks unless I've actually planned the build out, step-by-step. This is the "build" I was planning on using:

77 / 80 Perks
Archery
Overdraw (5/5) -> Eagle Eye -> Steady Hand (1/2) -> Power Shot -> Quick Shot -> Bullseye
Sneak
Stealth (5/5) -> Muffled Movement -> Backstab -> Deadly Aim -> Light Foot -> Silent Roll -> Assassin's Blade
One-Handed
Armsman (5/5) -> Fighting Stance -> Hack and Slash (3/3) -> Dual Flurry (2/2)-> Critical Charge
Light Armor
Agile Defender (5/5) -> Custom Fit -> Unhindered -> Wind Walker -> Deft Movement
Alchemy
Alchemist (5/5) -> Poisoner -> Concentrated Poison -> Snakeblood -> Purity
Smithing
Steel Smithing -> Elven Smithing -> Advanced Armors -> Glass Smithing -> Dragon Smithing + Arcane Smithing
Enchanting
Enchanter (5/5) -> Insightful Enchanter -> Corpus Enchanter -> Extra Effect
Pickpocket
Light Fingers (5/5) -> Night Thief -> Poisoned -> Cutpurse -> Misdirection
Destruction
Novice Destruction -> Apprentice Destruction -> Rune Master

Stealth 1/5 is all you need. And you're falling back into that "boring trap" taking any more.
Bullseye is not needed since you're going to one-shot kill with the poisons, legendary enchanted dragon (or whatever) bows, 100 Archery, Deadly Aim.
Purity destroys money-making ability but like you said you have plenty of money.
You probably won't need all of Agile Defender if you're shooting for smithed-out Dragon Armor.
Just trying to save you some perks.
And the critical damage perks aren't that great...If I could re-spec some old characters...

Maybe you get bored because you kill everybody pretty much the same way. Playing a sneaky git is great for sightseers...but to shine - get in their face!

I'll find some YouTube videos to show what I mean. One guy only had 100 health, nord warrior, scale armor, no magic (not including shouts)

Katastrophe

King of Tales
Squirrel_killer- I, for whatever reason in any RPG games, almost always prefer to play a stealth role. I can't explain why. The first character I ever created for roleplaying was named Rudo and he basically had two "phases" throughout the time I roleplayed as him: the first one used a rapier and a "rose whip (a barbed whip with some 'natural' magic). After some events that unfolded, he changed drastically in both appearance and style. He primarily used the earth around him but, if need be, engaged in hand-to-hand. But I digress... /nostalgia

After him, it was all about stealth for some reason, except Mass Effect. I tried the sniper class and hated it - had to go Soldier. No idea why. Assassin's Creed only cemented this. I remember seeing the Assassin's Creed trailer for the first time and thinking "Yes. That is my style perfected." And the series is still one of my favorite, because I love the story as well as the gameplay. This is a style I'd love to play in Skyrim but I find that it's very difficult in some ways and both very broken.

If anyone is willing to help me craft a build to emulate the Assassin style, I'm going to include links to the trailers for the other games as well. Assassin's Creed II - Brotherhood - Revelations - Assassin's Creed III. I really love the Revelations one the most - his style (at that age) appears to be all about using your opponent's momentum against them. I know there's a martial style that does this but I don't know the name off hand. Also, the song ("Iron" by Woodkid) really sets the tone for the character I have in mind.

Psiberzerker One thing I've done for a few games that have two different endings is to create a separate save at the point of divergence, play through one and save. Load the divergence save, play through the other, create another save. Choose the path you prefer to keep and load that save and continue the game.

Jaeger Thanks for the input. I think I made that perk set before I watched some of pms00's videos on YouTube - very good info for those that haven't seen them. Take a look at the above to Squirrel and let me know if you could help refine the build I have in my head. And see, when you post videos like that, I think "Oh that's cool, I want to try that." Re-roll.

What I'd really like to do is create a unique (at least to Skyrim) build to flesh out and then do a heavy-RP roleplay journal to go along with it here (or on a tumblr, something) because I think it'd be a lot of fun and great to help me get over my year long writer's block. I'd also like to make some vids to go along with it, showcasing both the character and the build.

Squirrel_killer-

Squirrel_killer- I, for whatever reason in any RPG games, almost always prefer to play a stealth role. I can't explain why. The first character I ever created for roleplaying was named Rudo and he basically had two "phases" throughout the time I roleplayed as him: the first one used a rapier and a "rose whip (a barbed whip with some 'natural' magic). After some events that unfolded, he changed drastically in both appearance and style. He primarily used the earth around him but, if need be, engaged in hand-to-hand. But I digress... /nostalgia

After him, it was all about stealth for some reason, except Mass Effect. I tried the sniper class and hated it - had to go Soldier. No idea why. Assassin's Creed only cemented this. I remember seeing the Assassin's Creed trailer for the first time and thinking "Yes. That is my style perfected." And the series is still one of my favorite, because I love the story as well as the gameplay. This is a style I'd love to play in Skyrim but I find that it's very difficult in some ways and both very broken.

If anyone is willing to help me craft a build to emulate the Assassin style, I'm going to include links to the trailers for the other games as well. Assassin's Creed II - Brotherhood - Revelations - Assassin's Creed III. I really love the Revelations one the most - his style (at that age) appears to be all about using your opponent's momentum against them. I know there's a martial style that does this but I don't know the name off hand. Also, the song ("Iron" by Woodkid) really sets the tone for the character I have in mind.

What I'd really like to do is create a unique (at least to Skyrim) build to flesh out and then do a heavy-RP roleplay journal to go along with it here (or on a tumblr, something) because I think it'd be a lot of fun and great to help me get over my year long writer's block. I'd also like to make some vids to go along with it, showcasing both the character and the build.

I know what you mean about preferring a stealth role. I only play other styles for some diversity or seeing how things may turn out with those styles. I almost always play a stealth role however. (I also wrote an awesome guide on it). A game you may want to look at is Dishonored. Here's the stealth game play trailer:

Back to Skyrim:

Ezio's style in Revelations seemed to me to focus on using his speed to cause his enemies to defeat themselves as well as fast counters and swift swordplay. I remember my play through on that game fondly. As for emulating that I would suggest a duelist build. My favorite duelist build was something like this: Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them!

However it is unfortunately a dual-wielding style.

To bring a more Ezio like feel to it maybe try this: Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them!

This build allows more flexibility as well as the stealth attacks you seem to prefer. The block perks chosen are non-shield specific perks and therefore don't need a shield to be used. They make for a good solid means of countering. The sword specific perks is due to Ezio's sword preference.

You could add a crossbow to this build as well to keep with the feel and have decent ranged attack power, without the need for too many archery perks.

EDIT: Fixed perks to have block

Katastrophe

King of Tales
Dishonored doesn't look too bad. I think it's a bit too ability heavy, so hopefully what they showed was like, maxed out. Reminds me a bit of BioShock... loved that game. Anyways...

As far as those skill trees you linked to, I think you might have goofed. For example, the second one doesn't have any points spent in Block, but you mention that. Although I do know the perks you're talking about. I've spent the past hour or so writing down some ideas, which I'll put here:

Key Aspects:
  • Primarily a Dagger OHKO-style.
  • Bows for targets out of reach, multiple targets, or simply making a stand while they close the distance.
  • One Handed Sword for those rare melee encounters, possibly some points in block?
  • Light Armor, no helm (only hoods for style), possibly even only bracers and boots? Do hoods count as Light Armor, for some perks?
  • Alchemy for poisons and potions. This is Master after all.
  • Stealth, but not overly so to avoid cheese.
  • Pickpocket?
I also have some notes on the backstory for a group simply called The Order, as well as a 'creed' by which my character, presumably some type of member, must follow which include: never revealing The Order, never killing an innocent, and never depending on someone else (essentially banning me from Followers).
I'm off to ride my Ninja like a maniac and get dinner. :)

Light Armor, no helm (only hoods for style), possibly even only bracers and boots? Do hoods count as Light Armor, for some perks?
Theives' guild armor has some LA hoods, especially Linwe's, which fortifies Archery 35%. For Custom Fitt? I wouldn't worry about it, you're planning to mostly avoid direct confrontation anyway. Might be nice for Windwalker, though.

Squirrel_killer-

Dishonored doesn't look too bad. I think it's a bit too ability heavy, so hopefully what they showed was like, maxed out. Reminds me a bit of BioShock... loved that game. Anyways...

As far as those skill trees you linked to, I think you might have goofed. For example, the second one doesn't have any points spent in Block, but you mention that. Although I do know the perks you're talking about. I've spent the past hour or so writing down some ideas, which I'll put here:

Key Aspects:
  • Primarily a Dagger OHKO-style.
  • Bows for targets out of reach, multiple targets, or simply making a stand while they close the distance.
  • One Handed Sword for those rare melee encounters, possibly some points in block?
  • Light Armor, no helm (only hoods for style), possibly even only bracers and boots? Do hoods count as Light Armor, for some perks?
  • Alchemy for poisons and potions. This is Master after all.
  • Stealth, but not overly so to avoid cheese.
  • Pickpocket?
I also have some notes on the backstory for a group simply called The Order, as well as a 'creed' by which my character, presumably some type of member, must follow which include: never revealing The Order, never killing an innocent, and never depending on someone else (essentially banning me from Followers).

I'm off to ride my Ninja like a maniac and get dinner. :)
My main character doesn't use poisons in all but last ditch moments. It walks through master like a pro. A beaten and bruised pro. But in the end I normally overcome all challenges. Here's my main characters current build: Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them!

I have used that since release day and never looked back. I have left Skyrim at times from other games but I always come back to it.

I have made A LOT of mistakes with him, but I fell too much in love with him to restart and fix those mistakes. He has yet to stop being fun to play. If I could take back a few perk point i would take back my speech points, that one in alchemy, and that one destruction point. I would poor those into conjuration which has yet to make me regret it. I don't feel over powered with this build since the smithing is just a bit of power leveling I do once and awhile (literally jumping from perk to perk) for the sake of eventually making dragon bone weapons when Dawnguard comes out (mostly going to be arrows), and dragon scale armor for myself.

I have done what I can to stop from being OP and I am hell bent to never use my different crafting skills together in a way to make the game breaking gear which some people seem to love so much. I made mistakes like that in the past and HATED it.

Katastrophe

King of Tales
Perk placement thus far.

Not sure if my current placement might have broken or gimped me, just by looking at it. Beyond this, possibly look into enchanting to go up through Insightful to extra effect but not sure how much that'd make me godlike. I think pms00 said in his archery video that if you fully enchant your gear with Fortify Archery, you can take down dragons in 2-3 shots... obviously, I wouldn't do that, but still... also, possibly invest in some lockpicking although I've always been able to pick Master locks with 0 perks in lockpicking...

And thanks Psiberzerker - those are the perks I was thinking of. Really wish there was a way to disenchant or at least overwrite the enchants in some of the unique armors. I'd kill for a blank set of Nightingale armor... damn you console (but bless you for giving me Dawnguard ages ago).

Starting to think of what to play and where to start. Thinking I might go ahead and do my usual heavy-RP style and take only an apple, a lockpick, an iron dagger, whatever gold I get in Helgen and then dash to Whiterun to cart my sorry butt to another town and play from there...

Spiral Power!

Abenddrachen
There really isn't much to be gimped in--my current character has her build totally completed, and she's only level 47. Anything after that is just a bonus way to play in case I get bored or want to do something silly.

Like leap onto targets from rooftops wearing heavy armor, then dashing away like a phantom.

To avoid ungodly OP, I usually stick with Enchanting, OR smithy, if either. (I don't have the patience for Alchemy.) With Enchanting, you can get a lot more effects, with a lot less mining, and so forth. Besides, you don't Have to put it all in Fort Arch. I put a lot more into Magic/Elemental resistance, and regeneration effects. It's not unbeatable, but recovers very quickly, to keep me in the game.