Are housecarls, especially Lydia, the best tanks in skyrim?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Are housecarls the BEST warrior/tank followers?

• Total voters

nomorepork

That was a left at Dragonbridge, right?
Early on Lydia was pretty effective for me...almost TOO good since I wanted some of that action for my character to build up fighting skills. But then it was like she hit a wall; going up against Forsworn and Falmer she'd do her usual commando/ninja maniacal charges, then have her head handed to her on a dirty, filthy platter. Any draugr 'Wight' level and up....forgeddaboutit. I'd end up busy trying to cast heal others spells more than fighting, and typically all that resulted in was getting my character whacked as a result of trying to save poor Lydia instead and not going postal on the bad guy(s).

Erandur was brutally effective for a while; used him ruthlessly with grand results. But then we hit a location that was loaded with vampires and in the middle of an engagement he managed to get himself offed. 'Dude, I thought you were great at making yourself all healthy and chit...guess not'. Missed how exactly it happened but as I finally killed off the vampires that I was fighting, I came across his corpse as I was looting the chamber. Thought about replaying the quest, but ultimately decided that I'd go it lone wolf and work on my sniper skills instead. Reaching out and touching my foes at distance was--at the time--a heck of a lot safer. And I liked that I didn't always have underlings consistently disobeying my commands during a time of battle.

Still, it would've been NICE had Bethesda given us the capability to order a follower to rain arrows onto the field of combat from a safe distance while I was going all CQB up close and personal like on a group of irate adversaries. Also would've been convenient if I had a SCAR Heavy as well, but I suppose that wouldn't be storyline-appropriate...

RTSullivan-DragonBorn

Premium Member
Screw housecarls and companions, I would rather have the wiley, sultry vampire named Serana watching my back any day. To be honest I never used followers until Serana came along.

Blitzfrenzy

Housecarls at level 50 with Daedric armor (legendary) and a Daedric weapon (legendary) is good enough to take on two well equipped Dark Brotherhood Initiates at once, and unlike most other followers they know how to fight, same cannot be said for the initiates because at times they'll just stand there and take hits like they're half tarded or something. Housecarls are also well trained in warrior skills and can pretty much use anything and kick ass, although they mainly specialize in one-handed and block which with this combination can murder just about anything. If you enchant their gear with a lot of stamina expect to see some impressive combat from your housecarl. I took my housecarl to Dead Men's Respite and on the last part he did very well against the horde of draugr and lost little health. Some followers may level up to a high level, but may suck on combat, so what you should look for is skill not a tone of health and a half tarded follower because he'll serve little purpose same goes for mage followers, the more spells the better.

Lydia is a Housecarl, with identical stats to all of them, including the males. The "Best" tanks depend on how high your level is when you get them, and how you equip them. They cap at 50, which is higher than most, so if you know how to set them up, then yes, they Can be the best tanks for your buck. I usually just give Jenassa Windshear, since she can Sneak too, and it doesn't matter how tough they are when they can't move. A good off-hand weapon (like the Blade of Woe) and she does just fine. I still almost always end up with Uthgerd.

Koala Jack

If it bleeds.
Your character is the best tank in the game.

Kory Stukenborg

Proud Member of the Mercer County Facial Hair Club
They're okay but I would go with anyone from the guilds. Theives, Companions, Dark Brotherhood, or even the Mages guild is better than a housecarl.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
You can wabbajack (sp?) your housecarl to raise their level cap I believe. Never done it myself personally, but I have heard about it. Probably needs confirmation from someone on PC or someone with the knowledge.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
You can wabbajack (sp?) your housecarl to raise their level cap I believe. Never done it myself personally, but I have heard about it. Probably needs confirmation from someone on PC or someone with the knowledge.
Not really necessary anymore. This thread is obsolete since followers updating of stats as they level was fixed many months ago. This is simply another example of why thread necromancy is bad.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Not really necessary anymore. This thread is obsolete since followers updating of stats as they level was fixed many months ago. This is simply another example of why thread necromancy is bad.

LOL I didn't realize, damn that was a Necromancy at it's finest.

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
In my opinion, Housecarls are great (Best if you update their armor) but I prefer other followers. Lydia is a very strong companion and the reason she dies is probably

1. You left her alone and the Draugr didn't detect you
  2. You were outnumbered by Falmer/Dwemer machines
Falmer ALWAYS kill your companions

BUT! You can level up your housecarl as Dagmar noted or you can use the UFO mod. An awesome mod. Not only can you level up your follower, but you can also have them do a number of things

501-1-1345250383.jpg

Zatam Zar

.esrever ni ti daeR
I love the housecarls because the all have a complete tolerance for any crimes you commit. However, I feel the mage class followers are much better because they keep their distance and there unrelenting barrage of spells are much more effective then the melee type followers. This is why i think the new housecarl Vladimir added by Hearthfire is the best companion in the game, he plays excellently as a Spellsword/Battlemage.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I HATE FOLLOWERS! Especially housecarls. They get in the way and get themselves killed. I'd rather do it myself. I will admit though that the my 2 Khajit followers are great. Once is from a caravan and I got his amulet back for him and the other is a mage from the college that I tested his flame cloak spells for him. Now they I can deal with. As to the carls, FAH! They're worthless. Sacrafices for Bothia and Food for Namia!

Daelon DuLac

How am I ever going to keep Lydia alive long enough to sacrifice her to Bothia! Good lord, if she's only level 6 then a rabbit will be able to kill her! Hopefully I just have to lead her there, not protect her. Maybe I can knock her unconcious, put her in a bag and carry her there... sheesh, I always knew she was more trouble than her attitude led me to believe...

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
I married Lydia so she wouldn't get in my way. Now I'm thinking of making Aela, Serana or Kharjo as a follower

TheLonelyWolve

My precious
Im under the impression that this thread is about followers like lydia dying? They die now?

Well that only seems to happen when I hit them myself, and the only time they have died by themselves is when I have explored a dwarven ruin and the falmer use poison. A giant hit lydia in the air, she dissappeared for 2 days and I found her in dragonsreach again.

Sometimes my followers can be abit useless and get hit into submission in one hit from something that shouldn't have made them kneel. In most cases with me thats a glitch or bug. Or never level up to get them stronger.

Nocte Aeterna

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Film
Receiving a Housecarl is basically like receiving a sentient storage unit with battle prowess.

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
The Essential followers are best as Tanks because they can never die, otherwise it's easy to kill your own follower particularly for a mage, tanks= survivability, you want a tank to sit there and absorb damage. I believe Mjoll is therefore the best because she is permanently essential and skilled in heavy armour so you can blast away with spells and don't need to worry about killing them. Actual combat effectiveness is of no relevance when you are discussing a tank as their job is not to deal damage but to take it.
The mercenary in the winking skeever is also rather good, whilst he isn't essential or doesn't possess the same level of stats as a housecarl he does heal himself which is fantastic for a tank as he will last even longer before becoming overwhelmed.
If you possess the dragonborn dlc then Frea is an amazing tank, she wears heavy armour, levels up to 81 I believe and she dual wields for some nice damage too, far better stats than any housecarl.

Daelon DuLac

What's with all the followers? Can't you just do it yourself (unless quest related). I never use followers and am kind of grateful I don't. I have so much crap I can't sell now. Why would I want to bring even more home and put up with the snotty attitudes of the Carls? As I've said before, Khajit followers I can deal with. They know how to sneak and I just luv their voices (confusing as their conversations are sometimes).

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts