Abercrombie Wants Only the Cool Kids

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
Hey, you fat poor kid, you aren't allowed to shop here!

The comments for the article are just as great as the article itself. And just for plopss and giggles, here's the picture of the CEO:

220px-Mike_Jeffries.jpeg

GOOD fluffKING LORD.

M'aiqaelF

Male, 32 years old, Denver area, CO
That man is hideous, I wonder why they only hire good looking people? Wouldn't that make him feel worse about himself?

M'aiqaelF

I've never shopped there, their clothing is boring and the stores stink of their gay-ass cologne!

Docta Corvina

Wow, dude. I always knew I didn't like A&F, but this is further confirmation. It doesn't even matter that size-wise I could technically - and just barely - buy a pair of jeans from them. I never would in a thousand years. Fluff that noise.

They can't handle dis hourglass'ness. :cool:

Seriously. I suppose what they do with their business model is their choice, but I have to express amazement at their brazenness with that.

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
Wow, dude. I always knew I didn't like A&F, but this is further confirmation. It doesn't even matter that size-wise I could technically - and just barely - buy a pair of jeans from them. I never would in a thousand years. Fluff that noise.

They can't handle dis hourglass'ness. :cool:

Seriously. I suppose what they do with their business model is their choice, but I have to express amazement at their brazenness with that.

I, of course, wouldn't be able to shop there. Though I'm too busy buying awesome t-shirts with Doctor Who, Godzilla, and The Walking Dead on them.

I like how the comments from people associate Plus sized with being fat. Yea, I'm big, but I'm not fat. I'm not unhealthy.

I rather shop at Wal-Mart. Hell, I can get better stuff at Goodwill. I ain't even kidding.

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
I wish I was fat so I could walk in their store and buy the tightest jeans I could find. I would pull it on in the middle of their store.... And I would make them watch

Docta Corvina

I, of course, wouldn't be able to shop there. Though I'm too busy buying awesome t-shirts with Doctor Who, Godzilla, and The Walking Dead on them.

I like how the comments from people associate Plus sized with being fat. Yea, I'm big, but I'm not fat. I'm not unhealthy.

I rather shop at Wal-Mart. Hell, I can get better stuff at Goodwill. I ain't even kidding.

Like I said, I only would just be able to. For pants anyway. Their shirts, which all too often seem like barely there strips of cloth, would do me no real good. So there's that. Fact is that according to them, if you're not "thin" then you're not "hot". And while I don't walk around claiming I'm anything of the sort, because that's ridiculous, I do take offense to the basic notion. It's one thing to talk about media pressures and portrayals of societal "ideals". But when a store just refuses to meet anyone halfway, I'm not interested. It doesn't do anything to help the ongoing problems of self-esteem and related serious health afflictions in this country. Not that it's any store's duty to do such a thing. But it only reinforces the existing problem.

And yeah, gotta love that. Plus sized equaling fat. There are all sorts of variables involved with someone's size, from not just weight but also height, bone mass, muscle mass. The BMI is said to be more reliable in that kind of calculation. But it's so often bullplops, the overarching discussion. Next to most models, I am likely obese. Keeping it real. :p But I'm still under the "average" American size. Go figure, man. It's all relative.

Fluff A&F. And all the associated vitriol from many of the commenters.

AS88

Staff member
Abercrombie are known to be real jerks. There was a news story in England a few years ago about a girl who got a job there, but was moved into the back of the shop because she only had one arm. She was still really pretty, and the media went crazy for it.

I'm studying employment law right now so I'd have an absolute field day with some of the things they do. It's one thing to try to portray a certain image for a brand, but it's another to illegally discriminate against those who aren't 'perfect,' which I think is a load of BS anyway.

One of my old flatmates used to shop at A&F all the time, and he was the generically good looking sort of fella, we got on because we had stuff in common, but he was a real arse at times; judgemental of those less fortunate or from different backgrounds. He pretty much summed up the whole company, as a customer.

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
I wish I was fat so I could walk in their store and buy the tightest jeans I could find. I would pull it on in the middle of their store.... And I would make them watch

I guy did that. He was middle-aged and had a pot belly. His neighbor was having a yard sale and she gave him some A&F shirts that he could use as rags for cleaning. Instead he asked his wife to fix the shirt so he'd be able to wear. She did, and he walked into the store wearing one of their shirts. He stated all the employees were mortified. LOL

AS88

Staff member
Abercrombie are known to be real jerks. There was a news story in England a few years ago about a girl who got a job there, but was moved into the back of the shop because she only had one arm. She was still really pretty, and the media went crazy for it.

I'm studying employment law right now so I'd have an absolute field day with some of the things they do. It's one thing to try to portray a certain image for a brand, but it's another to illegally discriminate against those who aren't 'perfect,' which I think is a load of BS anyway.

One of my old flatmates used to shop at A&F all the time, and he was the generically good looking sort of fella, we got on because we had stuff in common, but he was a real arse at times; judgemental of those less fortunate or from different backgrounds. He pretty much summed up the whole company, as a customer.

Here's the article

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/jun/24/abercrombie-fitch-tribunal-riam-dean

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Well. Admitting that you only want cool, attractive people to wear your clothes is outrageous. But, while I think their reasoning is bad, I don't think that only designing clothes for certain body types is in itself bad. I see it as the same sort of niche store as, say, a shop that only sells punky graphic t-shirts and skater shoes, or a shop that only sells slinky dresses you'd wear out to a club. Nobody gets upset that these shops are catering only to one type of personality - to tomboys, or to divas. So, why should we get upset that A&F is catering to those under a size 10? The truth is, all stores are, to some extent, exclusionary. It's nigh impossible to offer clothes befitting every single body type and every single personality out there. Also, there are several clothing companies that cater strictly to plus-sizes, and don't carry anything under a size 12, for instance. Does that bother you all, too? That these shops are discriminating against petites? If that doesn't bother you, then why does A&F only carrying up to a size 10 bother you?

M'aiqaelF

The best part is that their stores are not doing well and a lot have been closed. All the pretty people with no brains eventually become managers, hmmmm........

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
Well. Admitting that you only want cool, attractive people to wear your clothes is outrageous. But, while I think their reasoning is bad, I don't think that only designing clothes for certain body types is in itself bad. I see it as the same sort of niche store as, say, a shop that only sells punky graphic t-shirts and skater shoes, or a shop that only sells slinky dresses you'd wear out to a club. Nobody gets upset that these shops are catering only to one type of personality - to tomboys, or to divas. So, why should we get upset that A&F is catering to those under a size 10? The truth is, all stores are, to some extent, exclusionary. It's nigh impossible to offer clothes befitting every single body type and every single personality out there. Also, there are several clothing companies that cater strictly to plus-sizes, and don't carry anything under a size 12, for instance. Does that bother you all, too? That these shops are discriminating against petites? If that doesn't bother you, then why does A&F only carrying up to a size 10 bother you?

Clearly you aren't getting what's being said. The CEO not only wants to cater to those who are skinny, but who are rich and white. Maybe we wouldn't need all these exclusive stores if everyone sold every size out there. Besides stores like Hot Topic for instance are catering to a certain personality type, not to a certain body size. Apples and oranges.

And did you not read the articles that AS88 posted? This company wants you to have the look of perfection. So if you are not white, rich, and good looking you are not welcome.

SKINNY PRIVILEGE.

Docta Corvina

I don't see how catering to "plus size" body types and offering an outlet for such people to shop for higher quality clothing in their size (which historically hasn't been easy) is comparable to a store effectively denying carrying those sizes because they consider them problematic or defective in some way. I haven't seen Lane Bryant or Big and Tall or any other such stores saying (or marketing) that they're not carrying smaller sizes because there's something inherently wrong with them. (If they have done so, I'd like to see where. I like being as informed as possible.) But this is in contrast with A&F refusing to widen their size line because it doesn't fit into their business model - because it's apparently not the mark of what they consider attractiveness. That seems to me like a judgment call. And that's what I personally find offensive.

But I suppose in the end, it doesn't matter, because they won't see a dime of my money. They've been losing money for years apparently, anyway. It's only a matter of time.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Clearly you aren't getting what's being said. The CEO not only wants to cater to those who are skinny, but who are rich and white. Maybe we wouldn't need all these exclusive stores if everyone sold every size out there. Besides stores like Hot Topic for instance are catering to a certain personality type, not to a certain body size. Apples and oranges.

And did you not read the articles that AS88 posted? This company wants you to have the look of perfection. So if you are not white, rich, and good looking you are not welcome.
Yes, I read the article, and as I previously stated, I think the reasoning behind A&F's marketing decision is ludicrous, and I completely understand and share in the outrage for it. My point is that a store that offers only certain sizes - or certain styles - isn't bad in and of itself. And I don't think a store that caters to a specific personality type is any different than a store that caters to a specific size - they're both exclusionary. I've never heard of Hot Topic making any statements that certain people are not welcome in their stores, but with a very distinct style, they're clearly excluding quite a big chunk of the population.

I don't see how catering to "plus size" body types and offering an outlet for such people to shop for higher quality clothing in their size (which historically hasn't been easy) is comparable to a store effectively denying carrying those sizes because they consider them problematic or defective in some way. I haven't seen Lane Bryant or Big and Tall or any other such stores saying (or marketing) that they're not carrying smaller sizes because there's something inherently wrong with them. (If they have done so, I'd like to see where. I like being as informed as possible.) But this is in contrast with A&F refusing to widen their size line because it doesn't fit into their business model - because it's apparently not the mark of what they consider attractiveness.
And stores like Lane Bryant and Big and Tall don't widen their size lines because it doesn't fit into their business model. Stores like Hot Topic don't broaden their offered styles because it doesn't fit into their business model. Yes, the reasoning is different, and I will say it once more just in case - A&F's reasoning is very offensive. But the fact remains that all stores cater to a certain buyer. All businesses are effectively selling what they think is the coolest or the best - or else why would they sell it? A&F is just being a much bigger and more vocal asshole about it than any other store.

M'aiqaelF

The thing is, if you don't like their business model nobody is forcing you to shop there. Obviously a lot of people are choosing to not shop there, otherwise they wouldn't be closing so many stores.

Docta Corvina

And stores like Lane Bryant and Big and Tall don't widen their size lines because it doesn't fit into their business model. Stores like Hot Topic don't broaden their offered styles because it doesn't fit into their business model. Yes, the reasoning is different, and I will say it once more just in case - A&F's reasoning is very offensive. But the fact remains that all stores cater to a certain buyer. All businesses are effectively selling what they think is the coolest or the best - or else why would they sell it? A&F is just being a much bigger and more vocal asshole about it than any other store.

But I don't think it's any less valid to be angry or offended with the reasoning. Obviously, yes, "specialty" shops and stores exist and have for years. And every store has its target audience, its core consumer base. I'm not knocking that or disputing it. What I'm knocking and find distasteful is the stated attitude and expression that essentially, "No, we don't carry those sizes because that would be carrying clothes for The Unattractive, who needn't darken our doorways with their sickening girth and imperfection". It's patently offensive. And well, fluff that, is all I'm saying. :D

A&F is basically the arrogant asshole I do my very best to avoid in life - just in retail form. I enjoy protesting with my pocketbook.

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
Yes, I read the article, and as I previously stated, I think the reasoning behind A&F's marketing decision is ludicrous, and I completely understand and share in the outrage for it. My point is that a store that offers only certain sizes - or certain styles - isn't bad in and of itself. And I don't think a store that caters to a specific personality type is any different than a store that caters to a specific size - they're both exclusionary. I've never heard of Hot Topic making any statements that certain people are not welcome in their stores, but with a very distinct style, they're clearly excluding quite a big chunk of the population.

I believe that was the whole point of the initial article, is that the company is run by an asshole. An asshole who doesn't even fit in his idea of perfection. That's what people are upset about. And classic you, you came in here to twist it around because you have this complex that you are oppressed because you are skinny.

Docta Corvina

The thing is, if you don't like their business model nobody is forcing you to shop there. Obviously a lot of people are choosing to not shop there, otherwise they wouldn't be closing so many stores.

I agree, and is what I would emphasize amid all of this. They never scored a dime from me, and never will. It seems other people find it all very tired and played out these days anyway, given their slump. Fine by me.