Spoiler A different kind of Assassin.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Subtle

An Unexpected Ally
So I decided to create a new character. Before, I've played as a male Nord Paladin, a male Khajiit Nightingale, and a female Dunmer Spellsword. They were all fun and all, but I think my playthrough as the Khajiit Nightingale was my most enjoyable. I really wanted to replay that build, but play it a bit differently so I don't become so overpowered and then become bored. That seemed to be the downfall of all my previous builds.

I realized that reason I got so bored of my nightingale build, is because he not only became way to overpowered, but whenever I would get caught sneaking I would literally have to turn tail and run because I was that weak. I mean I could definitely stand my ground in a fight against say like a dragon or draugr, but when it came to the bigger bosses like dragon priests or maybe even draugr overlords, I was screwed. So basically, I became OP while sneaking, but underpowered while not. Now you could say that an assassin is meant to not be discovered while sneaking and all that crap, but in the end, there will be some fights you simply can't avoid.

Thus, my master plan was formed.

I created an rogue-ish character that was manly enough to finish off enemies without that sneak attack bonus. I based this build loosely off of Corvo Attano from Dishonered and Connor from AC3. The main idea is that whenever I would get caught sneaking, I would be backed up with a high block skill. That's right, an assassin that is a master of BLOCK.

In theory, if you are detected, you would remain in sneak and begin blocking. You would block until the enemy does his power attack, and utilizing the block perk Quick Reflexes (which slows down time while blocking in an enemies power attack) you would roll behind him with the Silent Roll perk from the sneak tree and back stab that mofo. Oh I forgot to mention that all the while, your blade would have a paralysis poison on it. So as you backstab him, he becomes paralyzed, just in time for you to go invisible (with a potion) and stab him AGAIN for the sneak attack bonus. If this doesn't finish off your enemy, you would simply repeat the process.

But what race should you choose? What guilds should you join? Well I thought that the Redguard would make a pretty sick block-assassin (I'll call the build "The Huntsman" for lack of a better name). Redguards have all the right skills minus sneak and archery which can be leveled easy. For guilds, I would join the companions for the block and one handed and archery training, but you won't have to do all of the quests to use the trainers. I also joined the thieves guild in my playthrough because I like using Nightingale hood, boots, and gloves with Guild Masters armor (just the body) for my rogue-ish characters. I think the DB would work just as well (I destroyed them to get the blade of woe quicker :p).

So the main skills you would focus on are Sneak, Archery, and Block, and secondary skills would be One Handed, Light Armor, and Alchemy (for the invisiblity and paralysis potions). I personally don't like smithing in this game (especially after post patch) so I decided to skip it to make it more challenging (this is a personal preference). As for weapons, I used the Blade of Woe, Ebony bow with whatever arrows I could find, and when I'm battling undead I switch out my Blade of Woe with Dawnbreaker. When it comes to bows, I just used whatever leveled I could get my hands on - nothing special.

Any thoughts?

Daedra'Mc'Bitch

Well, instead of block, I capped the armor rating with smithing and light armor. I also invested solely in HP, opting out of stamina and magicka entirely.

As opposed to the glass cannon build of a typical low armor/high damage thief, it was something along the lines of a thief tank. In the end, though, I had to invest in a lot of perks and the result was just an overpowered build.

I like your block method better because it sounds like it would add some strategy, require less perks, and you'd get shield charge! That's definitely a plus right there, although that adds an OP element if you're trying to avoid that.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
Well, instead of block, I capped the armor rating with smithing and light armor. I also invested solely in HP, opting out of stamina and magicka entirely.

As opposed to the glass cannon build of a typical low armor/high damage thief, it was something along the lines of a thief tank. In the end, though, I had to invest in a lot of perks and the result was just an overpowered build.

I like your block method better because it sounds like it would add some strategy, require less perks, and you'd get shield charge! That's definitely a plus right there, although that adds an OP element if you're trying to avoid that.

I think shield charge is only really to be used in cases when you want to have fun with ragdoll bandits and when you really need to get through the dragon priest, through some dragur. I can't see using this on an average dungeon trip.

Daedra'Mc'Bitch

I think shield charge is only really to be used in cases when you want to have fun with ragdoll bandits and when you really need to get through the dragon priest, through some dragur. I can't see using this on an average dungeon trip.

I've used it on a billion different dungeon trips.

Imagine putting a shield in your left hand, and a Daedric sword in your right. In a one-on-one confrontation, it completely disables your enemy's ability to fight back. Shield charge, attack them while they're down, and shield charge again when they get back up.

It also goes hand-in-hand with destruction magic. You know those "wall of" spells that spray fire/electricity/frost on the ground? It's a constant stream of damage to your enemy, all while they're stuck on the ground and you aren't incurring a single point of damage.

< I used Sneak, 2 handed, and Block, but it's not all that Original. I got the inspiration from Anrbjorn, but as a 15yo girl instead, and unarmored(She's even a member of the Circle, if you know what I mean. ;) There's no Backstab multiplier perks for a Greatsword, so you don't end up 1 shotting everything, but she can stand-up fight when things go south with Hack&Bash tactics, footwork, and Reach. (Timing strikes is critical, though.) Turns out to be perfectly balance for Adept, which is balanced between PCs, and NPCs.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
I've used it on a billion different dungeon trips.

Imagine putting a shield in your left hand, and a Daedric sword in your right. In a one-on-one confrontation, it completely disables your enemy's ability to fight back. Shield charge, attack them while they're down, and shield charge again when they get back up.

It also goes hand-in-hand with destruction magic. You know those "wall of" spells that spray fire/electricity/frost on the ground? It's a constant stream of damage to your enemy, all while they're stuck on the ground and you aren't incurring a single point of damage.

Well, like I said in my post, if you don't want it to feel cheap, don't use it on a regular basis. It's like how as a normal assassin my 81 hardly ever uses shadow warrior. Skyrim gives you plenty of opportunity to cheat the system if you are thus inclined.

Daedra'Mc'Bitch

Well, like I said in my post, if you don't want it to feel cheap, don't use it on a regular basis. It's like how as a normal assassin my 81 hardly ever uses shadow warrior. Skyrim gives you plenty of opportunity to cheat the system if you are thus inclined.

I agree. Unless my account is primarily revolved around shield charge, I'll often reserve it for plowing through obnoxious NPCs like Nazeem just to make the OP element a bit less mindless.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
I agree. Unless my account is primarily revolved around shield charge, I'll often reserve it for plowing through obnoxious NPCs like Nazeem just to make the OP element a bit less mindless.

Ha ha, nice one. I would imagine that shield charge coupled with Auriel's Shield and Unrelenting Force would be quite a knock back combination.

I have a similar opinion of/technique for handling Ancano, but I prefer ice Form. Shuts him right up!