• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Wildroses

1st person mostly. For a while, I used to put my pretty things on in town while in first person so I could know I looked nice (please don't ask me to explain that) but I kept forgetting to change back when I went out to take on Frost Trolls and Bandit Chiefs in unenchanted circlets and tavern clothes. Yeah, that didn't work out so good. So I switched to first person.

But I'm trying to get used to third person right now because it is completely ridiculous that I spend twenty minutes making pretty characters and being unable to resist pretty clothes which I never see myself wearing. I may end up switching to combat in first person and walking around in third.

Ritterkreuz

3rd Person, 99.9% of the time. I only use 1st for long range sniping with the bow and arrow. I can't move in 1st person at all as it makes me sick to my stomach. That's why I can't play any sort of 1st person shooter. Something about them gives me motion sickness.

Rinn

Sweetroll Kleptomaniac
I use First Person in general for combat and exploring since I want that to look realistic. Whereas for Third Person, it's amazing when you have found "that" epic spot in Skyrim with a great view or environment which just looks better in Third Person. I also use Third Person in conversations to see the people and my character from a different angle, just like they do in movies to make it more interesting to watch to.

Janus3003

Skyrim Marriage Counselor
Third person for screenshots or for kicks and giggles. Everything else for me is first person. To me, it's more immersive and fun.

kyleekay

99% of the time, I'm in third person. I'm not skilled enough to fight or travel in 1st person- I've tried, and I end up losing my bearings verrrry quickly. :p

The only time I go into 1st person is when I'm initiating a conversation with someone in the game (I like being able to see their face more clearly) or when I'm doing a sneak-shot with my Bow & Arrow (easier to spot my target).

Neriad13

Premium Member
First person all the way, unless I want to see how I look in a certain outfit or want to walk around a bit in a nice locale when I know that I won't be in any immediate danger. Otherwise, I literally have no idea how to play in 3rd person. The funny thing is, I used to play that way for years upon years before switching over exclusively to first person games. It's so much more immersive when I don't have to be staring at awkward or entirely nonexistent character animations. It's also nice to be able to see the person I'm fighting when he's right in front of me and not have such a great part of the screen blanked out by my character's massive butt. :D

Darth Brogan

Sith Lord
1st person always, unless I want to look at my character. I feel like I am him in 1st

Gowsh

Old Fart
1st person always, unless I want to look at my character. I feel like I am him in 1st

Amen.

I find it much more immersive, even when you spin around and find yourself nose to nose with a lovely Falmer lass. ;)

Medea

The Shadow Queen
I use 1st person for ranged attacks and spells, and 3rd person for melee fighting.

Invader Vin

Like quite a few others here, I use a mixture of the two. It's simply more intuitive to play in third person during combat situations as this perspective allows you to make fuller sense of your surroundings that a video game can't quite capture. I posted my thoughts on this in a similar topic a while back but I essentially hold the same view Saozig does in that there are certain senses you possess in real life that are not reflected in any video game very well. So I don't feel 3rd person perspectives are immersion breaking because they simply give you back what you naturally should have--a "sense" of your surroundings. Naturally, I use 1st person views for ranged attacks and for picking up loot and whatnot. The only exception to this hybrid play is during those occasional times I'll play while high lol. Then I play strictly 1st person at all times because that's a whole different experience altogether.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I use first person for combat and picking things up. I switch to third person when in towns and walking around and when I save my game for when I'm done playing, I switch to third person and have the screen facing my character. Not sure why I do that.