Skyrim Forum

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Majir-Dar
Majir-Dar
Thank you, but sadly no, though I wish I did. I'm afraid I have more talent in writing than I ever will in drawing.
Anouck
Anouck
awww. Well, same here :)
Majir-Dar
Majir-Dar
I didn't know that you write, do you have any plans to do a few RPs?
Anouck
Anouck
Since I am no native English speaker, I prefer to write in Dutch. Not that I have problems with expressing myself in this language, but it does compromise me as a writer. No matter how good my English is - it will never come as natural to me as Dutch. I couldn't do the same thing in my stories using a secondary language. So I chose not to do that.
Majir-Dar
Majir-Dar
You're English is better than most's, probably better than mine and I'm a native. I suppose that comes with really studying the language though, most of us take it for granted in a way and don't bother giving it the attention it deserves. I am, of course, as guilty of this as the next man.
Majir-Dar
Majir-Dar
Anyway, I would love to see you in the RP section but I also understand. It would be like me trying to write in Dutch, it would possibly work, but not to the same effect.
Anouck
Anouck
Many foreigners sometimes seem to master a language better than the natives. That is because I've learned English grammar, English verbs, English words, rules and that sort of stuff without the influence of street language or incorrect use of the language. We are being taught 'literature English'.
Anouck
Anouck
That is what happens when you are going to learn a language. They literally teach you how to do it, and you simply know that if you mix up "your" and "you're" you will have a bad grade at your next test.
Majir-Dar
Majir-Dar
It makes sense. I take it this is something your school did for you?
Anouck
Anouck
I started to properly learn English in my first year of High School. But since all our games, movies and even lots of books and magazines come in English, I already had that 'feeling' for the language. I kind of understood how English worked. I liked the potency of the language and how speaking a world language would make things easier for me. So from that point on I taught it myself. :-)
Majir-Dar
Majir-Dar
I didn't realize English had such a place in other countries. I knew it was in most, just not to that degree. I've always wanted to learn Spanish and Japanese, myself.

Did it confuse you any when you first saw how we native English speakers typed? Did you think we were going to be masters of our own language, that is?