So how immersive are you going to play Skyrim?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

xWinterIsComing

For me I'm going to try and be immersive as possible. Such as cooking my food to eat, resting at night in taverns, use fast travel as little as possible, etc etc. So how immersive are you guys going to play?

N3w_2_$kyr1min

Can't wait for Skyrim
Yeah, quite a lot. I think being immersed is what I enjoy so much.. and it's hard to find games that allow you to become fully immersed and don't ruin it. I'll probably do similar things.. Although I would like it if time in the game passed more slowly, to be resting in taverns every night in oblivion is like resting every 10 minutes. xD So it'd be easier to be immersive if time went at a more normal pace.

I might go hunting for food, buy a house and collect books and other items and store them there. See if I can pursue relationships with any characters.. perhaps in the first play through I'll be lawful and things like that, respect the guard. Make my money legit. :D But then in another one I'll be a altogether different character, and I'll stay in character the whole time and steal peoples things, make money unlawfully, kill people I don't like, etc. xD be very shady.. wear very dark clothing lol.

Jeruhmi

Playing immersed is basically the whole reason why I will be playing Skyrim :)
I remember back in 2008 when I was playing Oblivion the in-game time would pass VERY quickly, well for me, anyway. So I look forward to taking it slow!

N3w_2_$kyr1min

Can't wait for Skyrim
If the in game time is the same speed as Oblivion, I'll be looking out for a mod that makes it slower..

I don't really see any consequences to making it slower. If one needs to pass time, they can always use the Wait feature.

Renegader

Administrator
Staff member
I think what he meant was he was so immersed that real-life time would pass quickly. If he didn't, that's what happened to me anyway. :p

N3w_2_$kyr1min

Can't wait for Skyrim
Lol, yeah that happens. Sometimes I start playing at night and a few hours have passed without even noticing, I'm like WTF.

Steve House

Yeah, quite a lot. I think being immersed is what I enjoy so much.. and it's hard to find games that allow you to become fully immersed and don't ruin it. I'll probably do similar things.. Although I would like it if time in the game passed more slowly, to be resting in taverns every night in oblivion is like resting every 10 minutes. xD So it'd be easier to be immersive if time went at a more normal pace.

I might go hunting for food, buy a house and collect books and other items and store them there. See if I can pursue relationships with any characters.. perhaps in the first play through I'll be lawful and things like that, respect the guard. Make my money legit. :D But then in another one I'll be a altogether different character, and I'll stay in character the whole time and steal peoples things, make money unlawfully, kill people I don't like, etc. xD be very shady.. wear very dark clothing lol.

You play just like I do. lol...I'm going to completely "Role Play" my character e.g....hunt my food, Cook my food, make my own armor/weapons/, read EVERY book I find (Unless of course they are books that I've read in Oblivion/Morrowind as I'm sure some of those will be in the game too), explore every dungeon/house/castle and hopefully find everything thats on the map and anything that can be found lol. This game is going to consume my life unfortunately so I figure if it's going to do that then I may as well have fun letting it and make it worth my time lol. While I'm concentrating on making potions and poisons, I'll have to watch my back in real life to make sure my fiance isnt making her own poisons for me since I'll be Skyrimated for the next few months lmao. Good thing she loves me....

Stonkey

I'm bad at the whole roleplaying thing. I prefer to keep that to my D&D sessions. In games like this, I generally just want to become a legit warrior. So... not very immersed, I guess.

MellowGuy

Its interesting thought to try and be as immersed as possible. This could get boring real fast but only things that comes to mind right away are:

Compass off - unless there was a way to get a magic/enchanted compass. That would make some sense starting off.

Get off the horse when encountering enemies and get on again after.

Remove armor before sleeping. Put them back on waking up.

What else can you think of?

N3w_2_$kyr1min

Can't wait for Skyrim
Its interesting thought to try and be as immersed as possible. This could get boring real fast but only things that comes to mind right away are:

Compass off - unless there was a way to get a magic/enchanted compass. That would make some sense starting off.

Get off the horse when encountering enemies and get on again after.

Remove armor before sleeping. Put them back on waking up.

What else can you think of?

Hmm.. how about: no fast travel, eating and drinking every day, when you're fighting be more worried about getting hit/slashed/burnt etc. than just 'oh my health bar will go down a bit', more like 'omg that'll fluffen hurt and leave a huge scar..' lol. so do a lot of blocking/dodging. Try to use speech craft on most characters you meet, get them to like you, or perhaps just the ones you like yourself. Generally just try not to be careful and act as if you were really there, and it were really your life you were playing with lol.

You play just like I do. lol...I'm going to completely "Role Play" my character e.g....hunt my food, Cook my food, make my own armor/weapons/, read EVERY book I find (Unless of course they are books that I've read in Oblivion/Morrowind as I'm sure some of those will be in the game too), explore every dungeon/house/castle and hopefully find everything thats on the map and anything that can be found lol. This game is going to consume my life unfortunately so I figure if it's going to do that then I may as well have fun letting it and make it worth my time lol. While I'm concentrating on making potions and poisons, I'll have to watch my back in real life to make sure my fiance isnt making her own poisons for me since I'll be Skyrimated for the next few months lmao. Good thing she loves me....

Yeah, doing those kinda things are just things you can't do in most games.. it's awesome. And lol, you might wanna give her some warning before you start playing or she'll think something terrible has happened to you lmao. xD

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Well, I'm going to be playing in character, pretty much roleplaying. Going to write down a journal to keep in track. Turn off the HUD to full transparency so I can't see my health, magic and fatigue along with compass and everything. Hopefully that will work out pretty well. I might fast-travel if I get too lazy but I'll avoid it as much as possible.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
About as much as the OP and hexperiment. I don’t think I will ever fast-travel though. I get rarely bored in open-world games because as soon as I notice the boredom creeping in I put on some fitting audio book and voilà, I am entertained again.

Steve House

And lol, you might wanna give her some warning before you start playing or she'll think something terrible has happened to you lmao. xD

LOL...yea she's already expecting me to stay up for the remainder of the night when I get back from getting Skyrim at my local game store's midnight release lol. So while most people are in bed dreaming about Skyrim for the next day..I'll be up playing it around 1am in the morning of 11-11 :D

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Hmm.. how about: no fast travel, eating and drinking every day, when you're fighting be more worried about getting hit/slashed/burnt etc. than just 'oh my health bar will go down a bit', more like 'omg that'll fluffen hurt and leave a huge scar..' lol. so do a lot of blocking/dodging. Try to use speech craft on most characters you meet, get them to like you, or perhaps just the ones you like yourself. Generally just try not to be careful and act as if you were really there, and it were really your life you were playing with lol.
Yep, good ideas. There are lots of things that one can do to increase the immersion. In “Dead Island” for example I would make sure to behead every enemy (or crush their skulls) even though that was not necessary. But it just felt wrong to leave those zombies lying around there with their heads still intact :D If you will fight vampires in Skyrim I might do the same but with their heart. Since I’ll be using a bow I might just use one last arrow after they’re done to make sure that they are really dead.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Yep, good ideas. There are lots of things that one can do to increase the immersion. In “Dead Island” for example I would make sure to behead every enemy (or crush their skulls) even though that was not necessary. But it just felt wrong to leave those zombies lying around there with their heads still intact :D If you will fight vampires in Skyrim I might do the same but with their heart. Since I’ll be using a bow I might just use one last arrow after they’re done to make sure that they are really dead.
That reminds me of one problem that kind of breaks immersion. Whenever you contact any diseases, a large text appear on your screen, informing you what kind of illness you received. Realistically, you won't know what you caught at all. In fact, you won't notice the symptoms until after a while. I think what they should've done is

1. when I contact a disease, DON'T INFORM ME. In fact, I think it would be better if there are chapel healers or traveling healers who can give you a diagnosis. They might be able to cure you for some money.

2. Don't show me the effect of the diseases either. I can just go open my status effect and it'll say something like (-40 fatigue points). Let the effect be more subtle. I think it would be more immersive if you go like 'Hm... my character is having more trouble sprinting or swinging weapons with efficiency... Am I sick or something?'

3. In Oblivion, all diseases, and I mean ALL (except vampirism after it takes its full effect) can be cured with a potion that says 'cure disease'. Uhh... So there's a potion that cures everything? That undermines the disease completely. I think there should be a specific potions to cure each specific diseases. Like, if you contact something common, a healer can probably just cure it with ease. If its something really rare, the healer might tell you the ingredients needed to make a cure and those ingredients might be rare. If you're good at alchemy, you can make the cure for yourself. If not, the healer can make it for you after you bring the ingredients, after you pay some money of course.

Well, I don't know how diseases and remedy works in Skyrim but my guess is that they imported that from Oblivion and straight to Skyrim. If not, and how diseases work is similar to what I described, that would be really great. But since we've seen that they inform you when you contact disease almost immediately, I think the mechanic will be basically the same...

There's a lot of great immersion mods for oblivion so Skyrim will have plenty of those. Among immersion mods for Skyrim, I would really like to see this. If not, I'll just try to mod one myself

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Yep, that would be a much better approach. One side-benefit: Your beloved potions become more useful / there are more unique ones :>

Good thing my first character will be Argonian so hopefully I won’t have to deal with this as much.

Jeruhmi

That reminds me of one problem that kind of breaks immersion. Whenever you contact any diseases, a large text appear on your screen, informing you what kind of illness you received. Realistically, you won't know what you caught at all. In fact, you won't notice the symptoms until after a while. I think what they should've done is

1. when I contact a disease, DON'T INFORM ME. In fact, I think it would be better if there are chapel healers or traveling healers who can give you a diagnosis. They might be able to cure you for some money.

2. Don't show me the effect of the diseases either. I can just go open my status effect and it'll say something like (-40 fatigue points). Let the effect be more subtle. I think it would be more immersive if you go like 'Hm... my character is having more trouble sprinting or swinging weapons with efficiency... Am I sick or something?'

3. In Oblivion, all diseases, and I mean ALL (except vampirism after it takes its full effect) can be cured with a potion that says 'cure disease'. Uhh... So there's a potion that cures everything? That undermines the disease completely. I think there should be a specific potions to cure each specific diseases. Like, if you contact something common, a healer can probably just cure it with ease. If its something really rare, the healer might tell you the ingredients needed to make a cure and those ingredients might be rare. If you're good at alchemy, you can make the cure for yourself. If not, the healer can make it for you after you bring the ingredients, after you pay some money of course.

Well, I don't know how diseases and remedy works in Skyrim but my guess is that they imported that from Oblivion and straight to Skyrim. If not, and how diseases work is similar to what I described, that would be really great. But since we've seen that they inform you when you contact disease almost immediately, I think the mechanic will be basically the same...

There's a lot of great immersion mods for oblivion so Skyrim will have plenty of those. Among immersion mods for Skyrim, I would really like to see this. If not, I'll just try to mod one myself
I can really relate to your thoughts on diseases always being cureable with a potion. I think that there should always be one or two really bad ones, which actually mess you up and there is no cure... well, something like that.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
No cure as in “you will have it for the rest of the game / inevitably die from it”? Isn’t that going a bit too far? I think people would just reload at that point.

kCin

Maybe for the next one (whenever that will be) they can put in an 'immersion mode'. Like a no reload, no compass, no fast travel etc.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
No cure as in “you will have it for the rest of the game / inevitably die from it”? Isn’t that going a bit too far? I think people would just reload at that point.
AHAHAHA. Yeah, that's pretty funny because I exploit save-load feature too much. It kind of makes me wish Skyrim had auto-save feature and will only load when you start the game. It probably won't work out though. :[

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts