Imperials or Stormcloaks, what one?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

OckhamsFolly

She probably wanted to sell it, so she could eat.

I am wary of dropping anything -- particularly in Riften.

If the npc doesn't immediately give the item back, it can become the scene of mayhem and murder over a stupid iron sword, if you are not careful.

Really? I've never had that happen. And I started dropping stuff near beggars to see if they would pick it up, but they never did again.

Moris

Really? I've never had that happen. And I started dropping stuff near beggars to see if they would pick it up, but they never did again.

They were afraid they'd be killed!

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and a happy New Year :)

Huntagalos

Ok i'm really sorry everyone i know this is completely off topic so don't report me or anything. I am new just made my account today and am completely lost. I tried creating a conversation but had to enter people's names so they can join it. Is there a way I can start a public thread? I checked the help section but it wasn't any well... help. If anyone can assist me in any way i would be very thankful.

Ozan

the Magnificent Bastard
Ok i'm really sorry everyone i know this is completely off topic so don't report me or anything. I am new just made my account today and am completely lost. I tried creating a conversation but had to enter people's names so they can join it. Is there a way I can start a public thread? I checked the help section but it wasn't any well... help. If anyone can assist me in any way i would be very thankful.

Ozan shall help. But first, this one must prove his worth. Stormcloak style.

Go to serpent island. Kill a snowshoe. Return with its little skull. Then, help shall be granted.

Now, the Mage forgets. They raided the poor not once, but twice. And what of the slaughter in the Imperial City? Guards charging and killing a crowd? ((Unrest in the Imperial City topic in Morrowind)).

Ozan shall end his slander provided the Mage names twice as many good Legion folk compared to however many Ozan may name and provide positive events of aid compared to how many negative events Ozan may name. Not neutral, positive.

Ozan has faith the history of the Legion is soaked in blood of the innocent. How many dry spots may he find?

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Ozan shall help. But first, this one must prove his worth. Stormcloak style.

Go to serpent island. Kill a snowshoe. Return with its little skull. Then, help shall be granted.

Now, the Mage forgets. They raided the poor not once, but twice. And what of the slaughter in the Imperial City? Guards charging and killing a crowd? ((Unrest in the Imperial City topic in Morrowind)).

Ozan shall end his slander provided the Mage names twice as many good Legion folk compared to however many Ozan may name and provide positive events of aid compared to how many negative events Ozan may name. Not neutral, positive.

Ozan has faith the history of the Legion is soaked in blood of the innocent. How many dry spots may he find?

Name good Legion folk I guess Good means they did they job and were honest? Legionnaires that aid you in the retaking of Kvatch. Thousands of Legionnaires that died during the Great War, Nords, Bretons, Colovians. Hadvar, Legate Rikke, Legate Adventus Caesennius, Legate Constantius Tituleius, Legate Emmanuel Admand, Legate Fasendil, Legate Hrollod, Legate Quentin Cipius, Legate Sevan Telendas, Legate Skulnar, Legate Taurinus Duilis. Captain Servatius Quintilius, Captain Itius Hayn (Who arrests the corrupt Legionnaire) Commander Adamus Phillida (Spent his career investigating the dark brotherhood, assassinated after retirement) Commander Giovanni Civello, Captain Gepard Montrose, Captain Carmalo Truiand (Replaces the corrupt Legionnaire)

Just because they weren't named or written down in TES history doesn't mean they weren't good people.

What slaughter in the Imperial city by Legionnaires? I don't know about that so you will have to explain that and show me where you got that from.

Ozan

the Magnificent Bastard
Name good Legion folk I guess Good means they did they job and were honest? Legionnaires that aid you in the retaking of Kvatch. Thousands of Legionnaires that died during the Great War, Nords, Bretons, Colovians. Hadvar, Legate Rikke, Legate Adventus Caesennius, Legate Constantius Tituleius, Legate Emmanuel Admand, Legate Fasendil, Legate Hrollod, Legate Quentin Cipius, Legate Sevan Telendas, Legate Skulnar, Legate Taurinus Duilis. Captain Servatius Quintilius, Captain Itius Hayn (Who arrests the corrupt Legionnaire) Commander Adamus Phillida (Spent his career investigating the dark brotherhood, assassinated after retirement) Commander Giovanni Civello, Captain Gepard Montrose, Captain Carmalo Truiand (Replaces the corrupt Legionnaire)

What slaughter in the Imperial city by Legionnaires? I don't know about that so you will have to explain that and show me where you got that from.

Some very good choices. But mostly nameless and mostly neutral. What good have most of them done? Does fighting a war make them good? Does that make the Thalmor good?

No, simply because they die does not make them good. A good portion of men named off serve against Stormcloak.

Ozan hates the Dark Elf, but the Tribunal gives to the poor. That is positive action. Being honorable does not mean positive. If it did, Lex would qualify and a gate guard would have been spared, seeing how simply aiding Stormcloak oppression is good and good people don't execute honorable men who do their duty... which was open a gate.

No, redo your list. Make it less silly.

((In Morrowind... the topic Unrest in the Imperial City. Lots of folks died.))

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Some very good choices. But mostly nameless and mostly neutral. What good have most of them done? Does fighting a war make them good? Does that make the Thalmor good?

No, simply because they die does not make them good. A good portion of men named off serve against Stormcloak.

Ozan hates the Dark Elf, but the Tribunal gives to the poor. That is positive action. Being honorable does not mean positive. If it did, Lex would qualify and a gate guard would have been spared, seeing how simply aiding Stormcloak oppression is good and good people don't execute honorable men who do their duty... which was open a gate.

No, redo your list. Make it less silly.

((In Morrowind... the topic Unrest in the Imperial City. Lots of folks died.))

What makes any person good? Choices they make everyday. Just because they don't get fame doesn't make them any less. The list is perfectly fine, it shows that you don't need to die a hero to be considered good. Name me Legionnaires that are bad? Give me a list of those who did wrong against thousands who were good.

You keep trying to blame the few against the many. I was held up by a Khajiit thief, I was attacked by a Khajiit bandit, I was attacked by a Khajiit working for the Thalmor, I had to stop a Khajiit assassin working for the Thalmor once more. That must make all of them bad, well I should kill all I come across, it seems they are all bad because as you said before a few bad apples ruin the bunch or something?

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
The Imperial City Guards are, but not the other city guards. It's confusing/odd how and why a captain of the Imperial Legion City Watch would be reassigned to a non-Imperial Legion group.

I think it is some kind of special duty "When the need arises, the counts and countesses of Cyrodiil may summon legion troops to serve under their flag. They ask the Legion Commander to submit a list of candidates, each with recommendations." Could be why several Captains of city guards are considered Legionnaires. Probably a deal they have with the Legion, "Guardsmen on loan to nobles wear the vestments of their town, city, county, or hold" Though I did love the irony of Lex, didn't he end up serving the Grey Fox? Who turned out to be a Count.

Mr.Self Destruct

Chosen Undead

The Empire has brought peace and stability to Tamriel, it's brought races and cultures together from across provinces and the actions of especially the Septim Empire have sought to promote peace and justice. Perhaps a play-through of Oblivion would shed more light on the topic, but the citizens of Cyrodiil coexist peacefully for the most part during the Third Era.

I will not deny the Empire has had it's share of cruel Emperors who sought to conquer and wage war, yet the Empire has also had it's share of good rulers. Uriel Septim VII, Uriel Septim I, Tiber Septim, Pelagius IV, the list goes on.
Ozan hates the Dark Elf, but the Tribunal gives to the poor.

While Elsewyr was being ravaged by political strife and chaos, the Septim Empire would send aid and bring peace.
That is positive action. Being honorable does not mean positive. If it did, Lex would qualify and a gate guard would have been spared, seeing how simply aiding Stormcloak oppression is good and good people don't execute honorable men who do their duty... which was open a gate.

Good people do not torture innocent woman to find where their husbands fled, they do not execute their own kin because they do not fight for them and they do not resort to killing and deceit to open up the crown for the taking.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Though I wouldn't be trying to claim bad things about Colovians in the Third Era and refer to the Empire as such, because "most if not all of the Emperors of the Third Age would be Nordic or Breton, not Imperial" Wasn't until the Fourth Era that an Imperial sat on the throne. Though just remember in the Third Era which you are trying to claim they were bad. Every province was apart of the Empire, they were all united. Does that make Khajiit bad also? Bretons? Nords? Altmer? Dunmer? Argonians? Bosmer? Orsimer? The Empire has stood for over 1000 years. So yeah there will be some bad times and good times.

Ozan

the Magnificent Bastard
There are many who do not view the Empire as righteous, all throughout history. Simply because they say they bring peace doesn't mean they do.

How many wars have Colovian prevented? Certainly not the wars between Valenwood and Elsweyr. Certainly not between the Nord and the Redoran.

They are capable of lies. This is an Empire of propaganda, and Ozan is wiser than to trust the words of the rich who live so far away.

Mr.Self Destruct

Chosen Undead
There are many who do not view the Empire as righteous, all throughout history. Simply because they say they bring peace doesn't mean they do.

During the time of Pelagius IV, Uriel I and Uriel VII Tamriel saw levels of peace and unity like never before.
How many wars have Colovian prevented? Certainly not the wars between Valenwood and Elsweyr. Certainly not between the Nord and the Redoran.

How does this mean anything? The Empire cannot prevent every war, only try. As said earlier they did try helping Elsewyr during a period of internal conflict and crisis and while peace was instilled briefly it never lasted. There's nothing to indicate that the Septims didn't try and stop whichever wars or conflicts you can cite aside from the ones they fought. Also, please cite your source concerning the date of the Nord/Redoran wars.
They are capable of lies. This is an Empire of propaganda, and Ozan is wiser than to trust the words of the rich who live so far away.

Right, everything that either conflicts with your views or serves to disprove you is nothing but propaganda being perpetuated by Bethesda for no reason other than to mislead their fans. It's not like you could play Oblivion or anything.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Mr.Self Destruct

Chosen Undead
Make of it what you will, but after some research it turns out that the Redorans were being helped by the Legion while their home city was being destroyed by Mehrunes Dagon's forces. Yet they were defeated because the Dunmer had sent most of its forces to combat the Nords.

The Legion can't be blamed for this because the Oblivion Crisis was a period of chaos and destruction. They were occupied dealing with the bigger threat that was Dagon. They obviously had sent forces to help the Redorans, yet the greatest priority was Dagon.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
....Wasn't until the Fourth Era that an Imperial sat on the throne....
Uriel Septim VII and Martin Septim were Imperials. Most of the Emperors of the Second Empire were Imperials, and the First Empire certainly had Imperial Emperors.

Moris

As a Brit, I am charmed by how vehemently participants in this thread will defend the idea of an empire as a benevolent entity. I mean, I understand it, coming from the Americans, as they clearly just miss us -- and our taxes and our redcoats and our mad kings -- dearly. ;) But everyone else?

OckhamsFolly

As a Brit, I am charmed by how vehemently participants in this thread will defend the idea of an empire as a benevolent entity. I mean, I understand it, coming from the Americans, as they clearly just miss us -- and our taxes and our redcoats and our mad kings -- dearly. ;) But everyone else?

As an American, the British taxes were actually quite reasonable, and we did have representation of our interests in the British government. I love my country as much as the next guy, but sadly the impetus for the American Revolution wasn't really freedom, it was greed for unreasonable profits and was driven by smugglers.

Moris

As an American, the British taxes were actually quite reasonable, and we did have representation of our interests in the British government. I love my country as much as the next guy, but sadly the impetus for the American Revolution wasn't really freedom, it was greed for unreasonable profits and was driven by smugglers.

Hah. See. I was right! ;)

In all earnestness, I was wondering how this discussion looks among players who are from Egypt, Pakistan, India, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Ireland, etc, etc, and have a more recent experience of decolonization.