why would anyone play a non Nord when Skyrim is about Norse Viking/ Anglo Saxon Warrior Culture

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
It just seems odd to me no offense.. If the game was about Arab Culture I would play a Redguard or if the game was in cyrodil or in Rome I would play a Imperial .. it just dont make any sence to play a elf or a lizard or a khajit cat if your playing a game about Norse Viking Culture with alot of parallels with the Nordic gods and goddesses and the Nord gods and goddesses

samgurl775

Cerberus Officer
The Elder Scrolls are called role-playing games for a reason.

Yah but wouldnt you wanna play the race and species of the people and culture? And besides a Non Nord using the thuum is beyond weird and uncommon especially since the thuum is a Nord Skill

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Not really have you seen American Gangster? Though uncommon such groupd do exist. Open you mind and use your imagination. Also is shouting a nord only talent? cause it just seems more part of the culture and never stated only nords can do it. Who is to say some of the Ancient dragonborn were imperial or redguard or Argonian. Lizard people having dragon blood honestly seems to make more sense. Even if this is a fantasy game...

Suleku

The Grey Knight
It's called the choose of freedom, play whenever race you want.... if you wanna play a nord that's fine but as for me. Threads like this makes me wanna side with the Aldmeri Domain wonder if they have a job application for a lone redguard :)

Thing is, though, the story isn't about Nords. The story is about two things...civil war in Skyrim, and the return of Alduin. Alduin is ancient, long before Nordic culture, and it is the dragons who coined the term "thu'um". Therefore, the dragon aspect of the game doesn't apply only to Nords, and the thu'um in specific most certainly is not nord-exclusive. Secondly is the civil war, which admittedly is more about Nords, but also includes every other race involved, as racial tension is a topic touched upon frequently in the story. So the civil war aspect of the game isn't Nord exclusive.

In truth, there is plenty of reason to play as other races, especially if you're a fan of RPG's and role-playing in general, and want to make a story. To be Nord only is very shallow in terms of telling a fascinating fantasy story, and boring in terms of role-playing a fantasy world.

Nords are fine...in fact, my main character is Nord...but don't discount the reward of playing other races/stories/characters. Skyrim is part of a larger world, inhabited by many races, and to only focus on one of them is to lose sight of what makes fantasy so brilliant.

MOROKEI

When I first played Skyrim more than a year ago, I actually was of a similar opinion. I still do feel that the race and class that best fits the main questline is indeed the Nord Hero. However, who am I to condemn anyone else's choices for how they would like to experience the game? As I began to explore different aspects of the game, for instance the Thieves Guild/DB, which rely much less upon the Thu'um and honourable combat with the dragons, I began to appreciate the unique character and skills of other races as well.

However, in my opinion, one may develop a greater appreciation of Skyrim - the country and culture, not the game - as a Nord.

Tilse

Spellsword
That's a pretty shallow thing to say...
Like said before, it's called a role playing game for a reason.
My first/main character is an elf. A Dark Elf at that. Why? Because that's the race I prefer playing as, because I prefer those characteristics, those traits, etc. If I wanted to play a game that forced me to play only as one race, I would do so. Dark Elves DO play a part in the game, they are not treated very well, and even have a "grey quarter", and get accused of being involved with the Thalmor simply because they're elven. But because it doesn't "center around their culture" I shouldn't be playing as one? OK...
My second character IS a Nord. I wanted to try out being a Nord and being the "typical" Skyrim citizen, and yes, it's fun, but I still prefer my first character. Being that character speaks to me more. I prefer being an elf, and just because I'm playing a game based on a certain culture doesn't mean I should force myself to play what would be expected.
It's a fantasy game, anyway. I'm pretty sure there wasn't people running around "shouting" each other to death, absorbing dragon souls, etc.
And like Austin Chaos said, this game isn't about the Nords. It's about the Civil War(which yes, concerns the Nords more than the other races, but it still involves the other races), it's about Alduin...it's about what YOU choose for it to be about. You can totally ignore the main quest if you wanted to and just do the faction/side quests. Don't see why you would NEED to be a Nord for those. All races are involved in one way or the other, whether they are treated poorly because of racism, whether they are natives, foreigners, invaders, enemies, etc.
Also, I wasn't aware mafias and gangs only included a certain race...LOL. That's even worse than what you wrote in your original post. :rolleyes:

Twiffle

The answer to this Question is quite simple really, , its my game i bought it, its my PC,XBOX,PS3 and my TV/Monitor and more importantly its my spare time to enjoy what i want, when i want and how i want, i dont need to be ''Told what to do'', due to the fact that it says i can do what i want how i want when i want and who i want to be on the BLEEDING box, , , , nuff said, :mad:

Twiffle

truth hurts..................see above /\

Saozig

Hippy

CaptMorgan72

Skyrim begins with you on a wagon, bound and imprisoned along with Nord Stormcloaks. A victim of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. You can be a visiting Breton, Imperial, Orc, whatever. The point is you have been wrongly imprisoned and sentenced to death. What does it matter what race you are, just because this game takes place in Skyrim? As far as Dragonborns only being Nord, where did you ever read that? I have never heard of Elder Scroll lore that states Dragonborns can only be Nord. Since you base your character's race on the land that the game takes place in, you better not play Elder Scrolls Online when it comes out, you will be super confused since the game takes place in all of Tamriel.

Hargood

Defender of Helpless Kittens
I admit I have actually felt the what the OP asked in Elder Scrolls Games before. I mostly felt that way with Morrowind back in the day. I felt like I should be a Dark Elf If I am truly the reincarnation of the Nevarine. (sp*).

But the Truth it, All of the Elderscrolls are designed to be who you want to be. Infact it's alittle bit more realistic when your character isn't of the surrounding culture. It can be more immersive because it's the first time you are looking around the new world the game has given you. just like "you the Player", your character is exploring a land you didn't grow up in and have not lived in before.

In the Elderscrolls games, you truly are a Stranger in a Strange new land.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts