Thrall Thread : Living with the dead

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

HouseHosted

Mundus 9-5, Oblivion weekends
Also I relied on hard saves no auto saving because some thralls can vanish, or items can dissapear from thralls when using auto's, though this shouldnt really matter in terms of your tests just thought I'd add that.

I keep hearing about this. To date I haven't had an issue. Can you recall which thralls or items disappear?

I've heard the priest masks can disappear from your followers; though, I'm not sure if that has since been fixed.

He CAN spawn in Orcish Armour, so keep killing him and reviving him stealing his equips to shuffle the loot table that his armour derives from, and eventually he looks awesome.

I also kept re-rolling the save till I got the humanoid, badass looking version of his face (He is a rare type of NPC that can radiantly spawn as various races, Dunmer, Elf, etc)

Honestly I prefer the Elven armour over Orcish. Yamarz looks great in Orcish, but this Breton[?} with elegant red locks is dashing when suited with Elven.

Despite the work, he's exceptionally powerful, his aggression is tremendous and his One Handed skill is very high... ...
Definately worth the work, its gonna take a very good thrall for me to consider dropping Movarth his battle cries are fantastic!

I certainly look forward to seeing more battle time with him.

Harkin

Necromatic Mastermind
I dunno, one time Orchendor dissapeared (didn't have him in sight when I saved it) so I assumed he'd be o.k offscreen

Autosave I dont know how it saves the "state" of the game, since Orchendor was offscreen, loading caused him to vanish completely - normally he wouldn't do this, also pretty sure he's permanent so his existance was removed by him not being on screen - luckily I save often to notice stuff happening!

Now I Hardsave with all my characters that follow me being visible (they can be trailing in the distance, but I usually face them which sort of certifies that they will stick around)

Mainly, aslong as you check regularly on your thralls, their equips and the items you've stored on them, you should be fine.

Its like babysitting in a way haha.

Some of my thralls have got daedric artifacts (Ulfric has the Shield of Ysgramor) so I just keep an eye on him in combat to make sure he hasn't "lost" it in thin air, they are known to just lose items perhaps the cause of switching weapons.

HouseHosted

Hmm... That's very strange. Do you recall what happened before you saved? I mean, you might not remember any longer, but if you had recently been to DB Sanctuary he'll have mostly likely returned to his "home" in Bthardamz. Even when Astrid kidnaps you the same logic applies. And as soon as I get around to it, I want to see if this happens, too, when Meridia lifts you from the ground.

You're right. It's very much like babysitting.

Update on Movarth: I can confirm his AI will be intact on an 11 day absence. And I'm assuming, as Adam hinted, he'll respawn after 30. So, all-in-all, I'm quite happy. Movarth doesn't seem like too much of a pain. I'll post anything relevant, but I don't think there's anything more to troubleshoot in this regard.

Thanks immensely for that workaround, Harkin. That's grand.

edit: (11 day absence anchored, of course...)

Harkin

Necromatic Mastermind
Glad to be of help, damnit now someone else knows my SECRET!

Should've hidden it from everyone! *Laughs Wickedly*

but I like this thread, spreading knowledge with people who have similar interests is really quite nice!

RE: Orchendor's dissapearance, yeah he mightve gone back to Bthdarmz? but why would he when I have him thralled, I didn't dismiss him - I just assumed the game had robbed him from me and I wasn't having that!

Harkin

Necromatic Mastermind
Wow, after reading some of the posts here I regret never really getting into conjuration with the exception of the occasional flame atronach or bound sword spell. I shall have to make a new character that primarily focuses on necromancy. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Ahh Glad you could join us! Reading some of the previous pages might be very useful, but thats alot of reading lol.

Adam Warlock

I keep forgetting that the vanilla game doesn`t have many named vampires that are worth a damn in a fight.
Greatly admire your tenacity in maintaining a servicable Morvarth.

Doing a favor for Dengeir in Falkreath can result in meeting the unique Vighar , who is the only named vamp of the Elder race.
He won`t spawn until the Dark Ancestor quest begins.
Like Morvarth , Vighar will unfortunately respawn to eventually be Volkihar Master.
No problem at all with his combat AI tho.

Harkin

Necromatic Mastermind
I keep forgetting that the vanilla game doesn`t have many named vampires that are worth a damn in a fight.
Greatly admire your tenacity in maintaining a servicable Morvarth.

Doing a favor for Dengeir in Falkreath can result in meeting the unique Vighar , who is the only named vamp of the Elder race.
Like Morvarth , Vignar will unfortunately respawn to eventually be Volkihar Master.

Lmao yeah, Movarth cut Vighar's head off lol pretty much showing who's the don.

HouseHosted

RE: Orchendor's dissapearance, yeah he mightve gone back to Bthdarmz? but why would he when I have him thralled, I didn't dismiss him - I just assumed the game had robbed him from me and I wasn't having that!

Oh, I find it most odd as well, but it's happened to me on several occasions. It's a nuisance at worst though. If there's one thing this game has taught me, it's to not panic-- and instead look through the eyes of my thralls. If my master up a left where would I go? Home...

Wow, after reading some of the posts here I regret never really getting into conjuration with the exception of the occasional flame atronach or bound sword spell. I shall have to make a new character that primarily focuses on necromancy. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Necromancy is the ONLY acceptable form of hoarding. A body saved is a body gained, as they say.

Like Morvarth , Vighar will unfortunately respawn to eventually be Volkihar Master.

I'd like to look into that. Neat.

edit: Also, as I've learned, permanency does not always mean permanently situated... We all know bodies like to move around while we're away. Well, this happening where a body will fall through the ground has happened twice for me. The first time it happened to J'darr, and was amidst some plotting to assemble a Draugr army, mind you (which has yet to be fully realized). But, upon returning after a few endeavors 'twas only a hand poking out from the shallow grass. The second time happened just today to my Imperial Captain, and absolutely no part of her was visible. Only managed to recover her with a little luck on the part of where I had left her.

Recover your buried dead by grabbing them and gently turning and lifting. Eventually with some diligence you should be able to dig them up. Save ahead of time too. It is possible they may become untouchable if you let go prematurely. I don't know what it is that prevents bodies from slipping off the face of Tamriel, but I sure am grateful it does.

Last edited:

HouseHosted

Something I've been thinking about doing for some time: Figure out if there's any rhyme or reason to which thralls are afraid of water and which aren't. Ones that are afraid of water can be a tad worrisome when your life depends on their crossing the water... I think it would be neat to get to the bottom of that phenomenon.

Adam Warlock

Took 6 spider scrolls and some fiddling but finally managed to get thrall Sven to succumb to mind control.
Now , instead of a bard`s clothes and boots , he wears a full set of legendary Stalhrim armor as well as custom enchanted jewelry.
Looks fabulous and fights MUCH better from a sturdiness standpoint.
At least for him , the scourge of the "follower`s bow bug" also seems remedied since he readily uses stalhrim bow and arrows without reverting to his default hunting bow.

IF I can get this to work again I want to try for a Thalmor Battlemage in full Glass or Daedric.
My choices are Elenwen , Ancarion , or the Northwatch Interrogator each of which can summons storm atronach.
Suggestions?

Harkin

Necromatic Mastermind
Pretty sure Elenwen was bugged for me I had no luck getting her to conjure, the only thing she did was cast some destruction and punch when out of magick. As for the others Ive not heard of those two.

Actually yeah done missing in action, so the interrogator is killed, damn didnt realize he conjured at later levels. Cool.

Ancarion is dawnguard so Idk its between him and the interrogator, whichever has a better personality.

Last edited:

Adam Warlock

btw , Orchendor has also done the vanishing act to me.

I had long given up looking for him before finally spying his body splashing in a creek near Talking Stone Camp.

Harkin

Necromatic Mastermind
IMAG0759.jpg

Punishment for being a nuisance. Man thats gotta be uncomfortable, banned from lying down on the cosy floor for 3 days real time.

Last edited:

Harkin

Necromatic Mastermind
IMAG0757.jpg

Lalalaaa dadadeeeee!! *ballet dances*

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I was giving this build a read, and I'm not sure if it has been mentioned here.. but if you're thralling followers. http://theskyrimblog.ning.com/group...rum/topics/character-build-rise-of-the-fallen

"We’re going to sacrifice a miscellaneous quest here called ‘Silenced Tongues’ in order to safeguard the thralls forever. Silenced Tongues takes place in Volunruud which is a Nordic ruin close to Whiterun, it’s a location you will need to visit twice during your thralls creation.

In Volunruud there are two items that we need our blades followers to have acquired before they become thralls by using follower commands. One is the Ceremonial Axe and the other is the Ceremonial Sword. Make sure you don’t pick them up yourself because these are important quest items.

Once you are certain that both items are present in each of your followers inventory you can go back to the start of the dungeon and read the journal to activate the ‘Silenced Tongues’ quest (don’t read it before).

140208003739.jpg

The result is you’ve just permanently marked your two thralls with a toggle-able map marker and quest locked their bodies.

A giant could club both your thralls to opposite ends of the world map and you would still be able to locate their bodies with absolute precision. I originally intended this to be used in emergencies but it’s actually really useful during combat as well and I found myself leaving the markers on 90% of the time. It’s so useful that I wish it had been implemented into the original game; make sure you don’t miss this step because it will dramatically improve your thrall experience. You can even use Clairvoyance to light a direct path back to your party or a lost corpse, possibly the only use of the spell I’ve ever found."

Credit goes to the creator of the build, thralls with quest markers... That is bloody genius.

Harkin

Necromatic Mastermind
Sounds ace, if only I hadn't already used the ceremonial items!

Ah well, I'm pretty ocd about keeping track of my thralls anyway, nice information still.

At the moment I've come upon an irritating bug where the hp magick stam pools aren't all appearing if Im in combat, one of my enchants has screwed this up and for some reason a previous load hasn't fixed this issue, almost like its panned across my whole data.
Just started a new game hoping there's a fix for this, was overenchanting ulfrics hp pool seems I may have gone too far. Realised the max hp enchant cap is about 99,999, hp. 6 digits screws up and the item value is 100 with the enchant no longer modifying hp.

Going back to testing, if you know a fix, that'd help.

HouseHosted

This bug sounds quite similar in nature to what happened to me a month or so ago. I exited the Abandoned House and became stuck and unable to move. I tried fast traveling, reloading and reloading an earlier save. All of which yielded the same problem. I was quite distressed by this point, but found after loading the auto from when you choose your character race, look, etc. everything returned to normal.

The most peculiar thing about it was that I could cast every spell in my book except Illusion. Well, I could cast Fear and Calm and so on, but they wouldn't reach past my person's hit box. Very odd. Just by the way your bug has migrated to previous saves, a "fresh" start may fix it.

edit: Ah, yes, and I have a new love. Knjakr is most wonderful. He retains his voice clips and health regenerative abilities. Sadly I can't give him a bow as he'll sit back like an archer, but with Iron Axe in hand he is a brute. Dressed in chef's hat and tunic, what's not to love?

Also, not really related to thralls, but a shortfall of Restoration's Guardian Circle with Necromage: The spell itself will cast without issue, however, sadly the increased duration is not respected. After a minute the spell ends, even though Active Effects says there's still one minute left. All well. Can't have it all.

Last edited:

Harkin

Necromatic Mastermind
Ahh after more testing its not that big of a deal, there's a small issue with when a bar appears in the item or magic menu, but alls well.

More testing and beating up ulfric with as much help from markarth guards and civilians possible has produced amusing results. With one civilian saying "send Ulfric my regards!" Whilst charging at Ulfric himself, which I found hilariously funny.

There's been a few odd things happening which don't amuse me, whether its cause of the aggression of hold guards, or his hp pool depleted to the point they were actually doing damage. He still died eventually, might have to scrap hp improvement and give him a massive regen.

Since he has 3 pieces to enchant, only torso gives hp or hp regen. The bracers have 85% more block damage and 210% stamina regen boots which impressively improves his attack ratio and power swing occurance.

Was gonna give him a absorp weapon but they all run out of charge eventually and I'm saving Ebony blade for someone else, also can't abandon his cool appearance with Shield of Ysgramor.

Just thought I'd update my HUD issue ain't all that bad. Now back to pummelling and enchant tests!