Wouldn't it be awesome if you could become jarl?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

stagnant94

In a future game, you could become jarl (or whatever the alternative is) who is in charge of a slightly ruined or small city/town (like winterhold) and you can upgrade it in these ways...

1. Build houses: obliviously to increase population.

2. Install Market place: to increase merchants and income

3. Recruit guards: to increase security

4. Build city wall: to prevent bandits and raiders from attacking

5. Build stables: better transport

6. Build shops: increases merchants and income (varieties of shops included)

7. Build guard barracks: they aren't just going to sleep on the streets

8. Build prison: a place to put the lawbreakers

9. Execution stand: increases moral (who dosnt love a good execution?)

10. Build farm: increase income and trade products

11. Build mill: same as above

12. Build port

A lot of little improvements can be added...

1. Improve paths

2. Add lights

3. Improve homes

And some more personal improvements, for your keep, these include...

1. Upgrade keep: this changes the keep from a typical longhouse to something better

2. Improve dining area: makes the food more luxourious, as well as the table

3. Upgrade entrance hall: adds rugs, display cases and decoration

4. Rename keep: you choose

5. Hire housecarl: you can choose one of your followers, they protect you from assassination attempts.

6. Improve meeting room: this varies depending on what faction you choose and includes a map of the province

7. Upgrade throne room: makes it nicer, adds decoration, better throne etc

NOTE: UPGRADE KEEP MUST BE PURCHASED FIRST.

Improvements to the jarls quarters.

1. Master bedroom

2. Living area

3. Porch

4. Garden (there is a door leading into a secluded garden

5. Childs bedroom ( 2 max)

6. Stewards room

7. Housecarls room

8. Corridor

Some more interesting stuff...

1. Improve relations with thieves guild: want something someone else has? Or want to sabotage someone?

2. Make contact in the dark brotherhood: is someone really annoying you?

3. Improve trade relations with a city (you can only trade with people in your province to begin with, you can trade with outsiders if you purchase the expand foreign influence option)

4. Expand foreign influence: read above

5. Add warriors guild: trains your soldiers to be better fighters

6. Add mages guild: allows the recruitment of Battlemages

7. Improve relations with (important person)

8. Have children: (you must have a wife or husband to do this) once a month, if you sleep in your bed, you are given the option to have a child, you can only have two children and there is no animation when you chose the option.

Now, off the topic of upgrades and into the topic of quests...

Once you have become jarl, you can choose to either side with the invaders (aldmeri, imperial) or establish a rebellion. You then have to fight against other opposing cities and take over strategic locations, the more places you take over, the
more influence you have and more people will join your cause, once you have surrounded the capital you can attempt to take it over, once you have done that you kill the guy in charge and you are allowed to either become high king or remain jarl of your city, becoming high king will give you more authority, however the threat of assassination attempts becomes more
likely andyou have to put down possible rebellions and keep people happy.

NOTE: this is NOT a main quest, this is a side quest and will not affect the main quest (whatever it might be) in any large way.

There are also a lot of local quests which involve helping your city, but I won't go into them now.

Thank you for reading, any feedback will be much appreciated, there will no doubt be things that I have missed out, if you have any ideas or please post in the comments, if I think they are good I will add them to another section of this comment and I will put your name next to your ideas.

Please feel free to ask questions

NOTE: I only used the word jarl because people understand what they do, not because I want this to happen in skyrim only, you could use the same idea with a sultan of Elsweyr etc

User ideas ...

1. A shrine to whatever god you chose - Quanah

2. The ability to hire an expert architect who can design buildings in a certain way - Quanah

3. To be able to chose how you rule your city - Quanah

PLEASE UNDERSTAND: this is an optional thing which you can choose to do based on who your character is, it does not need to be done and it is only there as an extra thing to do. if you were role playing as, say, a nordic hero who was the rightful jarl of a city but was unfairly ousted by his evil stepfather, then this is probably something that you would do. but if your playing as an evil orcish assassin thief then maybe don't. its all based on what you want to do

Jbcarey

I enjoy giving this idea a possibility, but I know that in reality this will never really happen, except if some very smart people create a Skyrim spinoff mod that would let you do all this.

Quanah

Bosmer Shadowscale
I would also add a shrine to your favorite god. A brothel or two, an arena where men fight to the death for entertainment.

Either rule like a dictator or rule with love. Either way, this idea is epic nonetheless.

Quanah

Bosmer Shadowscale
Another idea would be to hire a special architect who is an expert at such and such style.

Your buildings would coincide with which architect chosen.

stagnant94

Another idea would be to hire a special architect who is an expert at such and such style.

Your buildings would coincide with which architect chosen.
I like this idea alot, you could have an architect for each race and perhaps an expert on dwarven buildings.

Flint firestorm

The leading man, who else?
You could receive a weekly tax income which you could use to spend on you or improve your city. Also a hall of the dead. And if you could be attack by other city's rather then just you attacking them would be cool.(by the way you have some excellent ideas here)

BSE

I really like this, sort of like the upgrading your city in Assassin's Creed 2, but with a lot more quests involved.

Obviously this would never happen in Skyrim, but to make it a part of the next TES would be pretty awesome.

stagnant94

Thank you for all your feedback, I will put all your ideas up once I get back from holiday because I'm typing this from my iPhone and it's easier to do on computer, I'm still watching this thread though.

Pete

I sat on the throne chair on the emporer's ship using 3rd person view and the pose was that laid back pose you see so often.

Quanah

Bosmer Shadowscale
If you sit on the throne in the Coven of Namira you can have a 360 view of everything.

In every game I've played where you get to sit on a throne, the realism goes out the window. You'll be a Jarl who gets to spend 6 months roaming through caves. It's bad enough that you get to be thane of a town that you might not ever step foot in again.

Professor Skalvar

General of the Euphoric Gentleman's Club
The only reason I cannot see this happening in Skyrim is because of how much gold it would cost to accomplish the things you bring up. 19,000 gold was a lot just to restore the Dawnstar Sanctuary. This... I am not sure if anybody can get enough gold to do so just by finishing quests and searching through chests or containers.

Suleku

The Grey Knight
>.> I already feel overpowered with all the guilds I own... Why do I need to become a Jarl XD?! lmao

Nick G.

Shield Brother
I did always feel that the games needed a bit more role playing in them by being able to choose a location to build a house or something.

But to build your own community/city would be awesome!

Vercintorix

As the Dragonborn it would be cool in the DLC another war with the Aldmeri Dominion and your victory with the Death of the Medes your Named Emperor of Tamriel. But it's nice idea to be named Emperor of Tamriel but won't fly due to possible lore conflicts. But it's cool to Imagine.

Professor Skalvar

General of the Euphoric Gentleman's Club
>.> I already feel overpowered with all the guilds I own... Why do I need to become a Jarl XD?! lmao
I can see it now. The Listener of the Dark Brotherhood becomes the Jarl of Dawnstar. Out of all the Jarls to cross, this one will be the one anybody will ever regret crossing.

stagnant94

The only reason I cannot see this happening in Skyrim is because of how much gold it would cost to accomplish the things you bring up. 19,000 gold was a lot just to restore the Dawnstar Sanctuary. This... I am not sure if anybody can get enough gold to do so just by finishing quests and searching through chests or containers.
Fair point, perhaps a tax income that you get 10% of? The rest of the money can only be spent on the city.
And I'd just like to say that I do not expect this to happen in skyrim, this concept could be used in any future games where they have a similar alternative to the jarl

Flint firestorm

The leading man, who else?
What about if guilds came to the city asking for a base there like the vigil of stendar or the dark brotherhood. Also a court Mage room and the ability to appoint thanes. Orcs could also come o ask to build a fortress. You could lead expations to reclaim forts or watch towers.
Also about cost what if you got huge amounts of gold from tax but could only spend it on the city.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts